Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Commander VX7R Help

Reviews Summary for Commander VX7R
Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $donation
Description: Programmer for the VX7 and VX7R
More info: http://www.icongrp.com/~sllewd/vx7rmain.htm

You can write your own review of the Commander VX7R.

ZL1VT Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Required software for VX7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this on several radios over the past few years. I just got another radio and the software wouldn't work with it. When all else fails, read the instructions! In the troubleshooting section it clearly describes port speed settings that can cause the radio not to read from the computer. By changing this setting from 15 to 18 the software worked well.

K6DEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Installed XP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This software is much better than the over priced ADMS package from Yaesu! Yaesu VX-7r USA 2012.

Not only can mod's be performed without modifying the circuit board on the radio, but it's easier to use and more detailed in every aspect.

This program gets a Five Star Rating from me! ★★★★★

KJ4VTH Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2010 15:26 Send this review to a friend
installed on Vista  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't give a full and complete review since I've yet to acquire the necessary interface cable but the program installed and loaded on Vista Home Edition with absolutely no trouble. Played around with it, adding, removing, changing entries and am happy with the interface (much like an Excel spreadsheet). Should make setting up the VX-7 much easier than via the keypad which is cumbersome at best.

N0VA Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Correction of previous review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I indicated in my previous review dated 05/09/2010
that I had owned the VX-7 Commander software for "More than 12 months." I was thinking of the actual VX-7R transceiver when I checked that box. I only had the Commander software barely 24 hours when I reviewed it.

That doesn't change a thing: In the short time I've used Commander I have really appreciated the ease with which I can edit information in the memories.

KD8JYM Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2009 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Finally got it to work :D  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have struggled with getting data to flow from/to my VX7R for a year but have just got it working - I tried various cables, interfaces, and even tried to make my own USB-TTL converter. I rate it as good as it could be more user friendly in terms of helping test the connection to the radio, like there could be a [test connection] button. For those having problems, here's what I did to make it work.

1. Bought this http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_vx7rusbcbl.cfm USB cable for $21 from kawamall
2. Performed VX-7 microprocessor reset according to manual P80.
3. Plugged in USB cable to my Windows XP PC and used the supplied mini-CD to install the driver.
4. Looked in PC hardware settings to find which COM port the USB driver was on - mine was COM5.
5. Made sure Commander options were all set to default.
6. Downloaded the radio contents to Commander to prove it was connected properly - it wasn't so...
7. ... I screwed the radio connector in REALLY tight - all the way down (may try grinding away some metal to make it an easier fit in future) and then the download worked.
8. Without shutting down Commander, I opened a file of frequencies I'd created.
9. Performed upload from Commander to VX7
10. Tested, working :D

ALCO141 Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2009 16:09 Send this review to a friend
if you have a vx7r you need this software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
tried it out for the first time, even a newbie like me had no trouble getting repeater and satellite info entered. this is a must. used the tt12usb interface, worked well.

alex
kc9pwt

KC2CNA Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 18:38 Send this review to a friend
HIGHLY RECOMMEND  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had mounts of trouble with the RT Systems cable and software. To their credit, they finally worked things out, but this was only after considerable trouble and me using a significant amount of energy to get them to honor their product.

After trying the commander, I have never used the RT Systems since. Very reliable. I highly recommend also getting the cable from www.tt12usb.com. I purchased these over three years ago with no problems since.

N8PHL Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2008 10:30 Send this review to a friend
comandder software vx7r works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just used this software in vista and was real pleased that it works so good.
i got my vx7r a few days ago and had to wait to get the cable to program it but once it came in the commander software made programing a breeze.
i would tell anyone to use this software even a new ham.
real nicely done.

KVOQVX Rating: 2/5 Sep 10, 2008 09:47 Send this review to a friend
WILL NOT DOWNLOAD ON PC WITH VISTA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unless changes have been made recently, the program will not download to PC with Vista operating system.

N6DGY Rating: 2/5 May 25, 2008 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Kept Getting Cloning Errors  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have both pieces of software - The RT Systems software for the VX-7 as well as the VX-7 Commander. I purchased my VX-7 at the Dayton Hamvention '08 upon recommendation of several friends. Working for years in commercial land-mobile radio, I understand how software programming simplifies things, and downloaded the VX7 commander after reading this thread. The Commander software would read the radio most of the time, but would error consistently while writing, thereby corrupting any manually entered data. In frustration, I opted for a digital download following purchase of the RT Systems software. (Software only - I didn't need any cables.) The RT Systems works flawlessly every time. Perhaps Yaesu changed something in the late model radio I have that makes it incompatible with Commander VX7R, despite downloading the latest patch for Commander. I really wanted Commander to work for me, as I like the look of its interface. I'm only passing along what I experienced. Commander was unreliable while RT worked perfectly. If someone can offer a suggestion, I'm certainly willing to try again.