Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8800R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8800R
Yaesu FT-8800R Reviews: 194 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: DUAL BAND RADIO

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8800R.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 05:22 Send this review to a friend
KG5ABW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the 8800 for 2 years. Great radio. email me if you have questions from my address on
KG7TBQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2016 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Solid radio   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had an 8800 for about 3 months now. I love the performance of the radio and the ability to dual scan and monitor is what makes this radio awesome. There are 4 things about this radio that I don't like. 1- The stock speaker is absolute crap if you plan on monitoring while driving, which 99.9% of us do. You can't hear anything while driving. It sounds very muffled. Just for reference, I'm 20yrs old and my hearing is fine. 2- No 1 push button locking feature for the unit. You can only lock individual sides of the radio. 3- The buttons have no back-light, which at night, you can't see what buttons you are pushing. They are very small buttons and recessed into the unit well enough to the point where it is hard to feel for them in the dark. 4- The dimming feature only has 4 options (off, low, medium, high) Okay, the high setting is great for the day even when I have my sunglasses on, but if the radio is in your field of vision while driving at night, it is insanely bright, so you have to back it down to the lowest setting. With my other radio (ft1900r) that I used to have in my truck, I had it set on the number 4 out of 10 setting and never had to touch it.

Overall, I am happy with the radio and it's performance. Just those 4 ergonomic issues are my only issue I have with it. I would suggest this radio purely off its capability to dual monitor frequencies. The only accessory you will need for this radio is an external speaker (And a separation kit, if it doesn't come with it already)
N7AQQ Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2016 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Good but needs more speaker audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FT8800R about 2 years now, mounted as a mobile in a minivan. Overall, I think the functions are ok although it could use some sturdier knobs and some of the front panel knob-press functions make it easy to accidently get the unit into operational modes that I often have trouble remembering how to get out of and back to normal function. My biggest gripe about the radio, however, is the lack of adequate speaker output power for mobile use. Any amount of vehicle noise tends to overwhelm the anemic speaker audio output, even with the volume control at maximum. Others have said that an external speaker helps, and perhaps it does, I haven't yet tried one. My point is that an external speaker should not be necessary. In my opinion, Yaesu made a major engineering faux pas in that regard on this unit.
W4GPL Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
I love this radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything about this radio is great. Easy to program, good audio, excellent receiver. The remote mounting kit is simple and extremely convenient. I had always been shy about buying Yaesu but now I'm a believer. If you get this cute low profile dual bander, you won't be disappointed!
KR4OP Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2015 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I gave this radio 5 stars because it is without a doubt a very nice dual band radio. It's easy to program and the audio reports were superb! However, if I were to describe it in one word, I'd say it's "sensitive". The volume is sensitive, the squelch is sensitive, the ptt is sensitive. You just barely touch anything and it's activated. Another issue is the front panel buttons and the mike buttons. THEY ARE VERY TINY! You need a good set of fingernails to work them. Also, the sound level on different bands is erratic. On the police/fire band the sound is low, on the 2m/440 band it's normal, on the air band it's loud. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium for the overall sound level. Other than these things I've mentioned, It's a really nice rig. I mounted mine mobile and I plan on purchasing another one for the base unit. One final comment, if this rig had a mike like the ones on the Icom mobile radios, it would be darn near perfect! Hope this info helps...73's dit dit
N4KXO Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2015 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Minor issues  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The menu buttons are very small and not backlit. That's the only reason for not giving it a 5.0 The squelch/volume control is very small for us folks with fat fingers. But maybe that's my problem the way I had to mount the radio in my van. However the dual band radio itself is a real winner. Tons of memory channels. Comes with a separation kit. (Mine did) Programming it with the RT Systems software was a snap! Adding an external speaker in the mobile provides more than enough sound in noisy road conditions.
VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 19:15 Send this review to a friend
very nice!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is a follow up review to my jan 2014 one.. I agree with all the positive remarks on this rig.. if works flawlessly,easy to program tones,etc,etc.. no heat issues.. the only thing I would like to see are backlighting on the lower keys.. it is difficult to use in a dark environment..i originally gave it a 3. after 13 months and many hours of tx time,it has proven itself.... would I buy another,, yep you bet.. when yaesu offers the discount of 80 and free sep kit,, sure.. its like having 2 radios in one,and versatility
LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Very GOOD indeed...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my FT-8800 about a month ago (beginning of Feb' 2015) to replace a radio I'd bought only about 3 or 4 months before and simply grew tired of very quickly,, and there has been no looking back..

The FT-8800 is a very good radio to use and quite easy to set up and/or program. The setup menu is accessed by the central 'SET' button on the front panel and the options provided give a good choice of preferences - very straight forward and quite typical of this type of radio. Once your options are set and memory channels are programmed in, it's very plain sailing from here on, as it has been for me for over a month now, and this is the way it should be. Memory channels consist of more than 500 per each band, equaling over 1000 in total but who'd really ever use that many anyway.? But, they are there if you want or need them and can be used in a variety of different ways. Me, I'm "old school" and just use them like I've been using programmable memories since day one, mainly for good old voice contact via the local repeaters with the occasional simplex QSO for good measure. In this type of setup, the FT-8800 shines brightly as it apparently always has. I can now see why so many recommend this radio..

I use mine strictly indoors, from in my room and if there was one gripe, NO, one "question" I could ask Yaesu, it would be - "Why, did you make the bottom side of the FT-8800 the shape it is?" also while we're at it, "Why are the cooling fins on the underside of the radio?". Whoops, that's two questions.. Now let me explain... First, having a slightly round shaped head underneath, means that it's impossible to use on a desktop because it slides all over the show each time you use the mic or try to use buttons or knobs, with its odd points of contact - across the back on the fin ends and one at the rounded off head up front, which lifts the front upwards. Second, I thought heat rises, so why the cooling fins underneath. That also creates a third situation.. I had to use stick on rubber feet to both lift the radio off the desk surface and stop the rounded head from making contact and also to stop the sliding, but sticking these feet onto cooling fins is a little hard to do. This is an odd situation, but I got it all working after a while of figuring out just how to go about it.

Apart from this, the 8800 has performed flawlessly since the first time I pressed the PTT. I especially like the 1 - 3 & 4 - 6 buttons down each side of the display which, if used, hold all your of settings and gives you 6 different choices of setups at your fingertips. That is very cool. I tried a couple of them and "I like it"...

I also found that using the FM-Wide/Narrow option set to Wide, if permitted in your locality, gives the mic audio a lot more punch. It was alright set on Narrow but really great set on Wide and made a noticeable difference according to feedback from others.

It would have been nice of the buttons were illuminated for night work. That would have been like icing on the cake, but it's no major concern to me as I seldom use it in the dark, just every now and then. The mic light, red, also could have been a slightly brighter colour, maybe orange or green making the buttons a little easier to see (red is a very hard colour for the human eye to focus on,) but red is "nice" and if driving it would be unobtrusive, just a little dull...

If this radio gives me years of service, I will be very happy. It is a straight forward radio which has been around for a few years now and has seldom given any owner even a moment of worry according to what I read, and that sums it all up for me. In a nutshell - the Yaesu FT-8800 makes me smile from ear to ear. Why didn't I just by this radio in the first place, like I was originally going to...???

I give it 9.5 out of 10 for what it IS...
KF6VTA Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2015 05:22 Send this review to a friend
One of the best Dual Banders of History  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked it so much that i bought a second one. This radio is literary "Intermod Free". I live in a very congested RF area, specially on the UHF band. This radio handles Intermod "The right way" No noises, nothing but the intented frequency. I tried kenwood, Icom ( by the way this one was the worse ) and Alinco...Nothing works better than my beloved FT-8800R. Radio is sensitive, has independent squelch both both bands, great display ( I wish Alpha and numeric would be together without having to choose individually ) , great audio ( when you connected to the MLS-100 External speaker. The internal is no good at all and the audio sounds muffed and poor. Power when you need it,, this radio pulls out 50W without hesitation. Rear fan was louder in the past, seems that my newer unit is more silent than the one i have from 2010, they might improved the fan somehow. Specs on both are the same and they work as cloned radios. If you have a chance buy the Programming software, it is very usefull when programing many frequencies and names on both bands. Robust, durable, strong construction will stand the vibrations of your car. The new packing for the new edition is extended and Yaesu includes the separation kit inside!!! Mounting the radio with faceplate separated from body is simple and Yaesu gives you all the easy tools to make it happen without trouble. YEs!, i wish they iluminate the front buttons, oh well...Nothing is perfect. For me at least..The best dual bander Yaesu has made in analog. Super recomended...Get one before they get discontinued !
KC3AYT Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2015 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Liked it so much I bought a second one  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my first FT-8800 in June 2014 and set it up at home with a Diamond X50NA antenna. I can hit most local repeaters on only 5 watts and reception is great. But the real bonus with the FT-8800 are the dual tuners. I was using a single tuner Kenwood rig in my car and missed the dual tuners so much that I bought a second FT-8800 for use in the car instead. Having the ability to monitor the calling frequency and scan through a bunch of others at the same time is nice. Because the FT-8800 has 1024 memory slots (512 per tuner) I was able to program in every 2 meter and 70cm repeater in Pennsylvania for use while traveling. Hard to manage that, you say? Not with 10 memory banks. I simply divided the state into 6 geographical sections and put the repeaters in each section into their own memory bank. If I travel to the northwest part of the state, a simple bank change means I'll only have northwest PA repeaters accessible in my radio. I used a 7th memory bank for repeaters that are very local to home, so if I'm just driving around town I'll only have a small selection of nearby repeaters available. Plus I still have 3 more banks I can use for some other reason. The memory management capabilities of the radio are excellent, but I highly recommend that you purchase a memory management program to use with the radio. I use the FTB-8800 software; it was only $15 and works wonderfully on either a stock or extended transmit FT-8800. And yes, the MARS/CAP mod can be done by removing only one resistor if you have a need for that. Easy to do in about 5 minutes. Of course no radio is perfect, and the 8800 could certainly have included a better internal speaker. I threw a $12 external speaker from Amazon on mine to get better, louder sound. And the rather long dials on the radio are prone to break if you smack them accidentally or drop the face piece, so it's best to be careful and mount the faceplate where it's less likely to get bumped. The remote head mounting kit was included with my first FT-8800 but not my second. However, for about $20 you can find the pieces to make your own kit from Ebay and Amazon. There's no reason to spend $50 or $60 on the remote kit. All in all, I'm pleased with the FT-8800 and I'd buy it again. In fact, I did. :)