Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SG-7900A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SG-7900A
Diamond SG-7900A Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $124.95
Description: 2m/70CM Dual Band mobile Antenna
Gain/DB 2m 5.0/70 cm 7.6,150 Watts
62.2 inches tall
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond SG-7900A.

M5AEO Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2006 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this antenna for two years now. It is on a 4.5 inch mag-mount on my balcony, about 50 feet above ground, south-facing: so exposed to strong sunlight as well as all the other elements. It is extremely robust and has not required any maintenance all this time. It has good gain on both bands, and I have no trouble hitting distant repeaters. I have even made contacts into mainland Europe with SSB at 50 watts- not bad considering it was the wrong polarisation! Admittedly it does have a slightly high SWR on 70cms, but not enough to worry about. I also use it for Airband receive and it works very well. I would recommend it for base station installation, but have not used it mobile, so cannot comment. To conclude, I can say that it works better than some base-station antennas which are larger.

KA3NXN Rating: 0/5 Mar 17, 2006 09:32 Send this review to a friend
PIECE OF VERY OVERPRICED JUNK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine fell apart after having it for only a few weeks. I could not tighten the lower section and I come to find out that the manufacturer epoxies the lower set screws in place and they cannot be adjusted. You have to send it back to the dealer if you have one that loosens the bottom section for replacement. You cannot adjust the SWR on this antenna. The SWR on UHF is horrible. For such a large antenna, the best I ever got was 2.9:1 SWR on UHF and performance was very poor on both VHF&UHF. On a side by side test with the Austin 500 antenna, The Austin was a far superior performer and it only costs $30.00.

W2KRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2006 07:26 Send this review to a friend
A brute!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond SG-7900A (NMO here) gets out! It is a big and heavy antenna. You better have a good mount for this antenna. I use the Diamond K400 HD mount. But if I can heard em' they can hear me no matter what the distance. Isn't that what a big antenna is for? :)

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2005 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Wide banded on UHF too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the only mobile gain antenna I've found which is wide enough on UHF to enable a reasonable VWSR to transmit on both amateur 70 cm and GMRS bands from one antenna using my ICOM F621 commercial landmobile radio. FAR superior performance to the unity gain 1/4 wave I was using, gee surprise... FYI my antenna is mounted high on the vehicle using a Diamond K-400 hatchback mount on a 200 Jeep Cherokee. Works for me!

K6IPF Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2005 09:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a year and can't find a mobile antenna that stands anywhere near the performance of this antenna...My only problem is the vehicle I drive; a big rig!! Vibration and whip in the air is what gets me.. I had the lower coil break off and lost 3/4 of the antenna. Then the bushing in the base obongs and replaced 2 bases... Diamond says there working on a different base but won't be out till next year... Most of these replacement's are not the antennas fault, it's mine and where and what i have it mounted it on...I would not switch to another antenna, because there's not one out there that performs as good, plain and simple!!!!! de Pete/k6ipf mobile 18wheeler...

N1EE Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2005 23:54 Send this review to a friend
GREAT GAIN.....BUT...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna has the best gain of any 2 meter mobile I've ever used. I mounted this by drilling a hole in the middle of my K-5 Blazer roof and used an old skill saw blade to reinforce the roof. The antenna is tall and needs a very strong mount, and a good ground. If you do this, the results will be truly amazing. It will gave two S-units above anything else I've tried. The bad side it, the top of the antenna was over 11' feet off the ground. It fell apart from hitting things, and the mount being stiff didn't provide enough give to spare the antenna. After a while I ran a shorter antenna and switched to this antenna when on the highway on road trips.

KB5URQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2004 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great antenna. I've had mine for 4 years now and its been on my truck ever since I bought it. Its tough & rugged. I've abused it somewhat at the local McDonald's from time to time, and while the corona ball on top is slightly bent, I can see myself getting many more years of great service out of this antenna.

SWR is very low throughout both bands according to my MFJ antenna analyzer.

Be sure to buy the Diamond mount with this antenna.

Jason
KB5URQ

KC8FWD Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2003 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Best Dual Band I have had!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a few dualband antenns like the larsen ,mfj,and a couple others but this antenna has received and transmitted better.Also has a better bandwidth on 440.GREAT Antenna