Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Niljon Super M VHF/UHF base station tri-band antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Niljon Super M VHF/UHF base station tri-band antenna
Niljon Super M VHF/UHF base station tri-band antenna Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: A very low-profile, tri-band (2m, 220MHz, 440MHz) base station antenna that also works as a scanner antenna for 25-1300 MHz.
More info: http://www.niljon.com

You can write your own review of the Niljon Super M VHF/UHF base station tri-band antenna.

N2XPM Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2006 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this antenna and placed on top of my SUV this weekend. I see NO noticable difference compared to my Comet Dual Band antenna that I was using prior. The antenna's performance is outstanding though it appears that each antenna looks like a 1/4 wave but has equal or better performance to my old Comet antenna that boasted 4/6db on VHF/UHF. Odd design with 3 bands on one mount. The best thing to this is no more getting out of the truck in bad weather to fold over the antenna to drive into an underground parking garage. KUDO's so far and I will have to wait sometime down the road to update the performance when I put this antenna to the test when I do some road trips this winter.

K7JOE Rating: 3/5 Mar 13, 2006 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Special Application Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a Nil-Jon antenna at a recent hamfest. Wanted to try it due to the interesting polarization characteristics and as a multi-band antenna for VHF/UHF. I was having difficulty accessing some repeaters to the east of my location, due to a large hill between me and the repeater antennas causing severe tx and rx multipathing.

While a 10 element yagi seemed to cure the multipath, that's very inconvenient to keep swinging the yagi around. The vertical antenna in use as my main VHF/UHF FM antenna (Comet GP6 at 45 feet) was about useless due to the severe multipathing.

I mounted the Nil-Jon antenna at 10 feet - with 2 wood screws into the side of my house. I fed it with about 20 feet of RG-8X coax and using just a few watts successfully accessed the repeaters that were plagued with multi-path on the Comet GP6. Multipath on both RX and TX is gone.

Tuning tip: I found that by bending the 4 counterpoise (groundplane) elements down at a 45 degree angle from horizontal significantly improved tuning match and lowered vSWR across both VHF and UHF. I have a 1.1:1 match at 146 Mhz and a 1.2:1 match at 446 mhz and 1.4:1 at 223.5 Also an interesting antenna for use with 800 mhz scanner, it seemed to improve reception remarkably on my Pro-95 handheld trunking scanner.

It's definitely not an 8db gain multi-band vertical antenna but worked perfectly for me in the application intended. I intend to try it on ssb shortly, and to see if it is better for reception of the ham FM satellites during higher elevation passes.

KD7TXG Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2005 12:32 Send this review to a friend
it works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i recieved my nil-jon from Robin N7gsu a distributor (thanks robin) and my installation is somewhat temporary at the moment...it allows my IC-V8000 to communicate with far ranging repeaters around the portland oregon area and east toward the Dalles and pendelton oregon
i give it a 5 because it is simple and yes it is odd looking to say the least. But for my shack, it works great. i expect it to work even better when i give it a boost to my roof.
73' kd7txg mark

W8KQE Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2005 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Did not meet my expectations.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this base antenna based on advice from a freind of mine, KC8CXZ, who has the mobile version, and is happy with it. To make a long story short, I could not get the SWR down below 2.5 to 1 on 2 meters, but on 440 the SWR was at 1.5 to 1 and lower. I did not try this antenna on the 220MHz band. I tried different locations on my rooftop, but the SWR would not budge on 2m. Performance on both bands was very average as well, and my dual band 'Valor' fiberglass base antenna blew away the Nil-Jon in signal strength tests, both transmitted and received. I took the antenna down in frustration, and stuck with my trusty 2m/440 fiberglass base whip. I'd like to add that I e-mailed Nil-Jon at least twice, and they never responded to me. That is poor customer service, and is unacceptable, to say the least!