Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply
Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply Reviews: 32 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $139.99
Description: 25 Amp (22 Amp constant) Regulated Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply.

N6QWP Rating: 1/5 Jun 14, 2016 08:49 Send this review to a friend
DON'T BUY!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seemed to work fine for a short while, then fan started making loud noise for first minute of use. Quiet after that, but first minute of startup is annoying and distracting. When loaded up at 100 watts (TS-430) works on SSB...BUT...power steadily declines to about 2/3 output until getting to 10 amps or less! CAN NOT HANDLE STEADY CW OR AM power requirements. "POS" get an ASTRON!

W0JLS Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2013 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second, first was a reform-lasted 5 years, hard use. Meters great, could be lighted-would be nice. Would buy another, recommended.

KA9UCN Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2010 06:12 Send this review to a friend
works well cheaply built and be able to repair before buying  Time owned: more than 12 months
They are what they are . ECONOMY power supplies. That said they work well. The voltage regulation is good. The fan noise is not to bad. The heat is not excessive when running a Kenwood 120 in ssb.

I have had mine a PS26-KX for several years. It was used when I got it . I have not treated it well. It has been pulled off the bench loned out and bumped around in a car for several months, Put in a non heat storage aria and generally used for anything that required a power supply.

The problems I have found is I have had to replace the 5k ohm pot that adjust the voltage and it does not like excessive rf. I use ladder line the grounding has to be very good or the on cretin bands I will get rf in the shack . On rare occasion it will turn the over current light on and the only way to recover is to cycle power.

I would buy another.

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2010 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a Pyramid PS-36KX. Owned it for 3 years. It runs my Alinco HF DX77, a scaf filter and a 20 DB pre-amp all at the same time..No problems, quiet fan..A work horse.

K3CLT Rating: 2/5 Mar 14, 2010 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Not very good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one also and it did the same thing. It went up in smoke. I got a deal with the area rep and got a bigger one. It was acting funny also. I checked the volt meter and it was reading 14 volts. I checked the output with a meter and found it was only running at 11 volts. I turned up the output to 14 volts and the meter was reading 15 volts. this one is now working OK. I think that operating the radio at 100 watts with the voltage being low is what killed the other unit.
I suggest that the output voltage of any PS be checked with a good VOM.

KI4FIA Rating: 0/5 Mar 14, 2010 17:32 Send this review to a friend
They don't last!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this model for about a year. Used it to power an IC-910H which I never run more than 50 watts since I have the IC-910H driving a 350watt amp. (Amp on a Tokyo Hy-Power supply -quality!)

Protection light would come on often. Well today it blew its fuse. Put new fuse in, turned PS on (nothing connect to output) it blew the fuse as soon as I turned it on. JUNK.

This is the second Pyramid I've had that died the very same death.

N7ZM Rating: 0/5 Apr 21, 2009 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had one in the 80's.....learned my lesson well. If you don't want to be writing about your Pyramid Supply Mishaps here, spend a little more and buy Astron. You always get what you paid for in Quality, workmanship, and dependability. And always over buy in your needs in amp draw because of what you may need in the furure.

K3CLT Rating: 3/5 Apr 21, 2009 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Pending  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me tell the other poster that the warranty information I have indicates that the unit is warrantied for 2 years.
I have used my supply a couple of times and I would get an overload light from time to time. This morning I wanted to check into a net using a new wire antenna I had just installed. I checked the swr and let the auto tuner do its thing. I started to talk and after about 10 seconds the power went off and the PS started to buzz and smoke rolled out of it. This was with my 100 watt HF rig with 20 amps draw.
I have it packed up to ship back but am not happy about the fact that I have to pay shipping both ways. I was looking on line and saw a Pyramid 30 amp switching supply for $65.00 new from a dealer. I checked the reviews here and saw people had the same problem with them. One guy wrote that Pyramid tech support told him that the 30 amp supplies were only really capable of 20 amps.
I guess I will have to see what the Tech Support people have to say.

KB8ASO Rating: 0/5 Nov 20, 2008 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Transformer blew!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had mine for approx 6 months when the transformer primary opened up. It was used lightly and infrequently. Out of warranty and out of luck. The replacement transformer cost more than the power supply cost in the first place. Junked it. Buy Astron. Built like a tank and just keep working 24/7 year after year.

K1CJS Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2008 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Bought used and 'repaired'  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the PS-21KX version. Solid as a rock. The only thing I found was that the fan was worn, and the circuitry to run it (was a 6 volt fan) was heating up. So I eliminated both the fan circuit and the fan and put a larger 12 volt muffin fan in it.

This supply runs the VHF/UHF part of my shack for the past 2 years with no problem whatsoever. I have heard the voltage adjust pot caused problems in the Pyramid supplies, but this one doesn't have that feature.

I've had one other Pyramid supply--they're principally made as a bench supply for use where units are repaired and tested (as evidenced by the front mounted power terminals) but is still good as a shack supply.