Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply
Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply Reviews: 31 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $139.99
Description: 25 Amp (22 Amp constant) Regulated Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Pyramid PS-26K 25 Amp Power Supply.

KB5DRJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Very good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did one better on you. $69.00 on eBay, new in sealed box, $82.29 shipped with insurance. :)

Two things that I don't like but will live with. No panel lights and the terminal caps won't screw all the way off so can't use my power wires with the soldered on round terminals. No biggie - just cut the terminals off and tinned the wire and put it though the hole and tightened the caps down. Works great.

This is an excellent power supply for the price. This is the second Pyramid I've owned. The first one was the 14 amp one and used it for years no problems.

Case feels pretty solid. It weighs about 13 pounds.

Again - very good for the price. If you are looking for a linear PSU, this would be a good choice.

David KB5DRJ

N2RHS Rating: 3/5 Dec 1, 2007 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Oh well...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This power supply was purchased new in January of 2005 for use explicitly with an IC-V8000 which I am using solely as a base station. I would say that it worked as it should until it's premature demise a few weeks ago (Nov. 19, 07). Towards the latter part of it's life, when the unit was turned on (I always turned the supply on with the radio off) it made a heavy thump type sound. It sounded like the transformer took a heavy and immediate load. It did this daily for about 3 month's or so. It always made that sound, but it had always seemed quite a bit milder. I searched inside and out for anything out of the ordinary and found nothing. No moisture, no dust, no foreign body, no loose terminals or connections, no nothing! Finding nothing out of the ordinary, I continued using it (which I probably shouldn't have done). When I turned it on for the last time, I heard the thump noise then an immediate snap type noise. No smoke or anything... it just ceased to function after that. Of course, I found the input-power fuse blown. I took it apart and having found nothing, I replaced the fuse and tried it again. The fuse blew instantly.

I don't believe that I did anything wrong in using the power supply in the manner mentioned. The radio only draws 14 amps at the 75w setting, so I wasn't even close to overloading it. I've got to believe that in this case... you get what you pay for. Because I don't have the knowledge necessary to repair the Pyramid, I'm now looking at an Astron RS-35M to replace it. It's heavier-duty, larger capacity, and better rated. If the Pyramid had continued to function, I would have rated it a 4. I thought that it was a tad noisy too (although no noise was ever heard over the radio).

W7SPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 04:47 Send this review to a friend
No problems here, works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No weird noises, no smoke, no interference, nothing. Powers my old Kenwood TS-120s and a couple accessories just fine. Not a big fan of the Voltage Adjustment knob. My 2 year old daughter likes to play with daddie's ham radio (dont worry, I keep it unplugged when I'm away from my station) and keeps turning the voltage down to 6 volts which freaks me out every time I turn on my rig. If there was a way to lock the voltage at 13.8 that would be cool.

Sean Kelly W7SPK

N4VHG Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2007 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Good buy but basic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 20 amp rated (18 cont.) to run my 2mtr, 6mtr and 10mtr mobile rigs from.
Fit and finish are good. Nice big current meter but not illuminated.
Fan is audible but not as loud as the ones which cycle on most of my equipment. My diamond 4000 fan is louder.
For $70 I am pleased.
Buy the way, I bought this to replace a 25 year old astron which quit. The astron was a fine PS, just wore out.
Time will tell if this is as long-lived ...

W8AAZ Rating: 2/5 Sep 16, 2007 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Potential for something....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, heres the deal. Wanted to try a linear supply for my HF 100W rig to see if it was quiter than the switcher I now use, which by the way give no problems in function. So I found a nice looking used 26KX model at a hamfest for 60$. How could I go wrong? Blew the dust out of it and inspected. Looked comparable to any other imported from China item and the parts quality did not look too bad. Filter is 6X 4700uf caps in parallel. Turned it on and the fan is a bit noisy for me. Sounds high time but not much $ to replace something like a 12V muffin fan. Hooked to the HF rig. The voltmeter readings were close for what it is. Set it to 13.9 and fired up the rig into a dummy load. Seemed to run the rig in SSB full power but detected a bit of umpf sound from the xfmr on peaks like the core buzzing. Then tried the full power in CW mode. Xfmr really hummed and was quite audible. Then it would shut down or go into some kind of weird mode, no fault light but the rig would flake out and have to be cycled back off and on to work. So the thing does not seem happy running my rig in full key down CW. Works fine in RX though.... Maybe try it with the 2 meter PA driven to 80-100 watts and see what it does with that. Otherwise Ya shoulda gotta Astron! Unless you operate it in SSB mode? QRP? Well I think I can get my 60$ back out of it, worst case. :(

KE4ZHN Rating: 0/5 Aug 13, 2007 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Pure garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these once. Never again. It was dead right out of the box. No DC output what so ever. Since it was brand new I never bothered to open the thing up to see what was wrong. I just boxed it back up and brought it back. Ham buds of mine also had Pyramid supplies fail on them for no apparent reason. Avoid these turds like the plague! Buy an Astron instead. Built like a tank and much better quality for the money. Mine is over 12 yrs old now and hasnt given one bit of trouble.

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2007 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the PS-36KX model. NO problems what-so-ever. Cooling fan is quiet, meters are accurate, and when pushed, gets warm, NOT hot. The polarity alarm is great. I hooked up a rig backwards, the supply sounded an alarm, and shut down before my equipment was damaged. This guy puts out about 32 amps tops, and handles a 36 amp surge. I paid $99.00 new and dont regret it. Beats $149.99 for the nearest competitor. It appears the newer Pyramids are built better with a few more features. Maybe thats why I did not experience any problems like the former posters.

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2007 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Note: My supply says: PS-26KX. Now I'm not sure if the "X" refers to a "New & Improved" version. But I am HIGHLY satisfied and actually SHOCKED that I could pick this unit up on Amazon.com at a ridiculous price! ($79!) And brand new, not a re-furb!

I had reservations. But since it was Amazon.com, I knew they backed what they sold. I just couldn't believe the price and S&H being around $100 total!

I've had smaller Pyramids that have performed flawlessly. I was surprised to find voltage and amp meters, although no lights for them. But for $79, I was happy to see ANY meters at all!! It's also variable voltage. A cooling fan that is quiet as a mouse. And the only way I know it's working is that it makes a little whine as the fan winds down when I turn the supply off. (Plus the supply itself is so cool to the touch, even after transmit.)

I run a simple Icom IC-718. But the rig is on constantly.

I don't know if I'm just lucky, or if all of these supplies are this dependable. But I am highly satisfied and would recommend them to anyone. For further info, put "Pyramid PS-26KX power supply" into Amazon's search engine.

VE1CJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2007 00:46 Send this review to a friend
no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
This ps works great,I have a Diawa and the Pyramid and the Pyramid is my main unit, I run both my TS50 and my FT2800M at the same time and no issues, I have owned these supplies over the last number of years and have had 0 problems.
checking the unit output with a multi meter I find that the unit does just what it claims and without any noise or excessive heat, this has been a great unit and I would buy another one anytime.

KD6NIG Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2006 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Not bad, but some issues as mentioned.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The P/S works okay. I probably wouldn't have bought one if I had been in the market to, but I was basically permenantly loaned this one when a ham friend bought a new P/S.

I also had the problem with the varying voltage. The problem was the knob for the voltage adjustment. I could have replaced that, but instead got some resistors and experimented with it until I got the correct resistance to get 13.80V out of the supply. The knob on the front doesn't work now of course, but I know it will always be 13.8V.

Works fine under load up to 22A. Haven't went further than that. Its 1/2 of my power supply, the other half being a bank of 6 100ah batteries, so its not really pushed too hard anyway. I don't know if I would reccomend one if you were going to run it at its limits all the time as it does tend to get a little warm under load, but the addition of another fan that pulls air out on the other side helps the first fan keep it cool. Probably keeps the room its in a bit warmer, but nothing drastically hot, just a bit warmer than some other power supplys I've checked for warmth under load.

I probably wouldn't buy one new, like I said, but considering the circumstances under which I got it, its preforming well still to this day.