Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Mini World 100 PE Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Mini World 100 PE
Grundig Mini World 100 PE Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: This resembles the transistor radios that grandpa had...but this ain't your grandpa's radio!! ;^)
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/asp/Products.asp?productname=MINIPE&function=overview

You can write your own review of the Grundig Mini World 100 PE.

SLIDERULEX Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2005 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Mouse!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought a lot before buying this at Radio Shack. But I got a deal on it as it was a Demo. I could tell that it was kinda beaten up and had smudges and stuff on it. It's lived on the 'street', and yet it survived.

I like this radio and I bought it mainly for listening to SW broadcasts. Though I live on the West Coast, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it received many SW stations. It's very small, and fits in my small hands nicely. Maybe it's because I have small hands, but I have no trouble tuning it with just my right hand. It's no Sony 2010 or Sangean 909 or Grundig Satellit 700, but it does a good job at receiving all the strong stations and a number of weaker ones too.

I also own a Grundig FR200 and Mini 300PE. The FR200 outperforms the other two, and because it is also a crank radio with flashlight, and picks up SW even better than the other two, it would be my favorite if I had to have just one of them. But for portability, the Mini100 is perfect and does a good enough job at SW that I'm happy with it.

BLACKKNIGHT Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2005 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver at a good price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my 9 years of listening to shortwave radio, this is my fourth receiver and the best one I have. My previous ones were a large multiband radio from Sears that I bought off a friend for $10, RadioShack DX-397, and one of the Grundig Yacht Boys that cost around $80. I am currently waiting to receive a Klonda K-939 that I bought on eBay for $19. It has a tuning knob with digital display and high sensitivity. I would like to compare it to this good radio.
When I bought the Yacht Boy in October 2003, I receive great signals but I thought it may had been a waste of money. I returned the Yacht Boy at RadioShack and exchanged it with the $30 Mini World 100 PE and got $50 back. When first put the batteries in and turn it on, I was amazed that this little receiver received signals as well as the Yacht Boy. It has good reception on SW, FM, and AM in the Memphis, TN area. Its speaker is pretty loud and its size makes it easily accessible. It also include earphones and a belt clip. The antenna is long and stable and the radio also has a good battery life.
There are a few problems with the receiver though. It has a good number of SW bands but you can except not to find the frequencies you want to tune in. The analog tuning makes it harder to find a signal since the scale is a bit off. The radio does not have an adapter socket, which means it only takes batteries, but the batteries can last a long time. I can't remember changing batteries. Another problem I found is sometimes you have to hold the receiver while listening to some stations because if you set it down, then the station fades away. Overall, the Grundig Mini World 100 PE is a inexpensive receiver that is great for receiving stations such as the BBC (which no longer broadcast to the USA on SW), Voice of Russia, Radio Australia, WWCR, and many major stations.Pick up on today at RadioShack.

TIML2009 Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2005 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked this receiver up yesterday at Radio Shack for about 30 bucks..Very good selectivity on Shortwave. The MW bands arent the greatest but it gets the stations I listen to most. I had been trying to find a small SW portable to keep from having to lug my SuperRadio III to work everyday. Also, I was trying to find a radio that would pick up WTJC 9370 and WBOH 5920 (Fundamental Broadcasting Network) as there is nothing like it locally in Christian Radio (Canton-Akron, Ohio). Many of the cheaper radios start the 31 Meter band at 9400khz..just above WTJC. The FM sounds amazing for such a small radio. Considering the price, This is an outstanding value..There is a small pouch to store the radio while traveling..

NMALONE Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2005 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Brings back the joy of shortwave listening  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a handy little gadget for someone who travels, goes to sporting events (even international events), or loves to fiddle with electronics. I found the FM to be great, even on the built in speaker. AM was ok, but I live in an urban area around lots of strong signals. Shortwave was tolerable when standing outside. I rigged up an external antenna with some aligator clips and 25 ft of copper wire. I clip it to the tip of the set's telescopic antenna and the shortwave reception really becomes excellent. It is a joy to sit outside at night and listen to the many programs around the world.

Bottom line, if you want to enjoy the shortwave on this set you should be the type of person who likes to fiddle with electronics and doesn't mind spending some quality time tuning the set just right. The 100PE is a great little radio to take anywhere and have news, sports, world news right at your finger tips. Convert it into a base unit with a homebrew external antenna and you can really get some enjoyment out of shortwave listening, for under $50.00. Good way to get experience before dropping multiple hundreds of dollars on expensive receivers.

NIGHTHAWK Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2005 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for it's price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this at Radio Shack for $30.00, I wasn't expecting much, however, when I turned it on and started receiving a lot of stations my outlook changed. It seems to bring in a lot of stations pretty clearly, some however, are weaker and require a more delicate hand in tuning them in which is fine for me. This radio has survived a lot of abuse since I have owned it and it still operates great for being Chinese made but what isn't anymore.

CYCLOPS Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2005 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, amazing reception...  Time owned: months
I've been listening to SW on and off since I was 12 years old, I got this radio as a temp replacement for my very very old (ie my dad got it when he was 16) multiband radio.

Anyway, so this radio picks up FM broadcasts that modern stereo's without huge antanna's can't pick up. And, its shortwave picks up as well as my old radio and fits in my pocket.

The small speaker makes music and voices sound a bit tinny, but what do you expect for the size? Headphones are great, I use it daily sitting it above my work area (I'm a dishwasher at a university while getting my CS degree), it has been sprayed, dropped on the floor, smacked with stray glass tray's, lost in a silverware bin for a few days, and once got put in the dishwasher.

Still works like the day I got it.

K4IDX Rating: 3/5 Feb 16, 2005 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Get yourself a WRX911  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Do yourself a favor and get the Kaito WRX911. The build quality of the Grundig is mediocre and the controls seem cheaply assembled. The antenna is fixed and doesn't swivel and the frequency are opposite of the norm. Tuning the 100 is about what I expected, which is not great. The plus for this radio is the really nice leather pouch it comes with. The WRX911 is a much better choice with a better receiver and superior build quality. FYI...I do own both.

CLYDEMCCLARAN Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2004 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is a nice little jewel for around thirty bucks (available at Radio Shack or Brookstone). For what it is, it delivers clear and crisp sound on FM and AM bands while allowing one to listen to major shortwave broadcasters. If one desires digital tuning, selectivity circuitry, or big sounding audio, this receiver doesn't deliver. Excellent for traveling. I have owned mine a year now and would recommend.

KA5S Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2004 23:52 Send this review to a friend
That's not a shortwave; THIS is a shortwave  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Interesting radio. As others have noted, the tuning scale is near to useless; it's just an inch long, after all. However, the bandspread on SW is better than AM, and from all the signs -- backwards tuning and NO image heterodynes -- it is double conversion in short wave mode. On SW the Mini100's sensitivity knocks the socks off some bigger radios with only its built-in whip, and it has enough audio to be heard even in a noisy RV trying to keep up with traffic.

This is what 1965 "eleven transistor" shortwave portables should have been and weren't. They cost more, too. My 100 cost $16 on eBay.

Cortland

RBURG Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2004 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am just getting started with short-wave or at least more sophisticated radios but I must say that after three years of owning this little radio it has never let me down.

It was my constant companion during the two hurricanes that hit North Carolina earlier this year. When we lost power for a few days this radio kept us up on what was happening in my town as well as the rest of the world. In the three years I have owned it I have only had to replace the batteries once, I have dropped it, lost it, probably abused it, traveled with it and keeps running right along. The sound is good, it is great with my stereo headphones, its pocket size and small enough to take anywhere.

To be honest, the 100 PE is what sparked my interest in learning more about short-wave radio, maybe it is because I live in the mountains of NC but I have been able to pick up stations in CO, TX, IL, NY, MA, and God only knows the places it has picked up overseas. Even if you feel it lacks sophistication as a good short-wave radio you can not go wrong having it as an excellent general use radio.