Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | N4PY Ten-Tec Orion Control Software Help

Reviews Summary for N4PY Ten-Tec Orion Control Software
N4PY Ten-Tec Orion Control Software Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $65. USD
Description: PC control program for the Ten-Tec Orion Transceiver
More info: http://www.n4py.com

You can write your own review of the N4PY Ten-Tec Orion Control Software.

WB0CFF Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2017 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first connection with N4PY software was with his program used to operate the Ten Tec RX-320 receiver. Having had a good experience with that software, I was willing tor try his offerings in the summer of 2012 when I added a new Ten Tec Eagle and a used Orion to my station. I have been very satisfied with the result. I have used N4PY software in conjunction with K1EL Winkeyer USB, N1MM+, SKCClogger, NaP3 Panadapter, HDSDR, SDRplay and a few other bits of software linked through virtual comports. If I needed help, N4PY was very reliable via e-mail and the quality of service was excellent. I tend to use my radios as black box devices. I rarely use the front panels. In my Orion station I keep my paddle and Ten Tec 302R keypad/remote encoder to the right of my keyboard and find that I have little need to access the front panel. In my Eagle setup I do a similar thing but us the FlexControl in place of a 302R. My station with the Argonaut 6 and Argonaut 5 are also set up with FlexControls. The N4PY software ties it all together nicely. The product works nicely. The service is great. I am pleased.

N8MUS Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2017 12:34 Send this review to a friend
not 4 me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Carl, good guy but would not rate the software as good. I was not looking to so much run the rig off the software as use the CW keyboard and use it as interface for HDSDR.

The program is not designed to do that. It wants to control the rig and it will. Often doing things you did not ask it to do. Last night I wanted to try the CW keyboard for the first time on the CWT. Could not get the Keyboard to open. tried altK shiftK ctrlK etc nothing. Could find nothing in settings to open it. So went out the the WB4HUC video and watched that. Yes ALTK still nothing. Closed the program and reopened it then it worked?

At that point I was done. That is just the last example of weird stuff that it does.

I know others rave about the program but I think there are just as many if not more that don't. Carl does really try which I think helps keep poor reviews off here.

HRD does what I need. After reading all the great reviews here and watching the WB4HUC videos I really thought this would be great. Tried to at least like it, ended up hating it. uninstalled it but does not really uninstall Just fyi on that issue as well.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - good support, too !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another super product from N4PY - works well, and is well supported. It is a constant work in progress - but only because the author continues to develop and refine it - not because it has bugs. This is cool, because it means it is always up to date with new features and capabilities as user needs change over time. Good stuff.

James K8JHR

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Great software and customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the Orion program to control my Argonaut VI, as it is a specific type of radio that is supported by the Orion software. I've done other reviews on N4PY, as I've had various versions of it to control a wide of radios I've had since becoming a ham. I've tried other programs, free and for fee, but keep coming back to N4PY. It is easy to configure. It offers several virtual comports (in conjunction with K5FR's VSP manager program). I have N4PY "married" to 2 SDR's, 2 CW Skimmers, and my logging program. There are very few functions or menu settings of the Argo VI you cannot manage with N4PY on the computer screen. Finally you cannot beat Carl's customer service, always there to help with issues. He is willing to let me run the program on a couple of computers (one at home and one for the field). As I trade radios, he allows me to update my current subscription to the new program for the new radio. He keeps his programs current and sends information about updates, which you can do free of charge during the subscription year. Of course there is a fee (less than many other programs) and a lower yearly renewal fee (if you want the updates). You can try the full program for free for a while. I have no relation to N4PY other then as a satisfied customer who would recommend it to others. 73, John K0FTC

G3RCQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2011 02:03 Send this review to a friend
N4PY with Orion 1 & 2  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using Carl's program with both my Orion 1 and Orion 2 for the past 8 months. The control software as transformed the way my station is used, both when I am in the Shack or working remotely, every operation of the Orion is controlled by the software and I no longer touch the O2 - N4PY makes operation a simple click on the screen - I have Arthritic fingers and knobs are difficult for me but with N4PY its so easy.It seems like everyday I find something new that Carl has included, the facilities are awesome.Carl's support is unbelievable, emails come back fast and mean fast, this year when Carl was on holiday in Alaska I was getting replies to my questions - that is GOOD SERVICE! I had one problem with my O2 regarding the S meter - Carl quickly modified the software and a new version was downloaded from N4PY website.The keyboard CW facility is another excellent area of the program together with 5 programmable memories - makes contesting so easy.I also run LP Pan with SDR-IF from W2UX and this works terrific with Carl's software. I could go on however I think I have explained my opinion and really there is no other program that comes near, I can even adjust my AGC parameters when I am working remote!!! So if you want a good program with excellent backup drop Carl an email.

WN5V Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Simultaneous use of Flex SDR and Orion II using N4PY Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a happy owner of the Flex 5K and an Orion II, Ive often wished there was some way I could enjoy the advantages of both radios simultaneously. There are times when I prefer using the Orion II (and I wont go into that its purely subjective) but really miss the panadapter of the Flex and the point and click capabilities it brings. Moreover, the sub receiver of the Orion cant hold a candle to either the Orion primary receiver or the Flex 5K, so using the Flex 5k as a second receiver would really be nice. Two days ago, Carl, N4PY, announced an upgrade to his controller software for the Orion and other radios that now allows me to do exactly what I have described above. With a very minor modification to the Orion II, I can now use the Flex 5K as a second receiver and use the great capabilities of the PowerSDR panadapter and its point and click tuning to control the Flex radio.

I know I know I could have bought LP-Pan, a Perseus or other SDR receiver and achieved the same thing, but I already owned the Flex 5K. Thanks, Carl.

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using N4PY software in the Pegasus version since 2001 and my results have been excellent. The Orion control software program supports both the Orion & Orion II radios and I used this program for over a year with each radio. Support questions or issues are typically handled by Carl in one day.

In fact just recently I asked Carl if it was possible to add Acom 2000A band switching support to his program & in just two days he sent me a Beta that included my requested feature. Understand he is now planning on adding Acom 2000a support to his Icom, Pegasus & Orion versions of his software.

Also registered users can also download his free DX Spots program that works with N4PY Radio control programs. Not only does it have the DX cluster internet connection included in this program is his N4PYLog logging program.

To sum it up my experience with Carl's software has been outstanding in both operation & support.

K1ESE Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 01:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Program for a Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The N4PY Orion software makes a excellent radio even better. Many of the Orion's features, while great, require multiple button pushes. The N4PY program screen makes these sequences a simple button push. Much, much easier.

I always had to stop and think about how to get into dual receive and setting the parameters for the second receiver. With the program you just click on the DUAL button and you're in business. That's just one example.

Carl does a super job of support and improves the program on a regular basis. He listens to users and incorporates their suggestions. The subscription program insures that the program won't become an "orphan" and will keep up with computer improvements. The latest versions are 32-bit.

I've tried others, but always come back to N4PY. If you have an Orion you will find the program really adds to your enjoyment.

73 de K1ESE
John

KG6TT Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2008 20:14 Send this review to a friend
New 32-bit version  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I don't consider Carl, N4PY's rig control software for the Ten-Tec Orion 'perfect' in all ways, I am finding that I greatly appreciate what it has already added to my Orion user experience. I don't as yet use it while contesting but for everyday and DX chasing activities it is really, really nice. No, more than that as it doesn't just mimic what you can do on the Orion's front panel, but allows you to do things that you can't (at least not without a lot of button pushing).

I was just corresponding with Carl earlier this evening about the Orion program. He is incredibly responsive when it comes to helping his software users... and he listens to suggestions as well. Anyway, I first bought the Orion version about two years ago but never really used it... found it to be rather erratic in performance with the Orion 565... and frankly I didn't take the time to thoroughly learn how to setup the options to their best advantage for my operating style.

When Carl announced 32-bit versions for his software I immediately updated my Pegasus version which I use... for my Pegasus. I liked the performance improvement a lot and the fact that it was running as a standard 32-bit Windows XP application got me interested in trying out the new Orion version as well. At this point I was just hoping for a 'smoother' ride.

This time 'out of the box' I took the extra time to print out the extensive Help document and read it through a few times.... making notes as I went along. There is so much detail there that it could be made far easier to digest with some serious style editing and maybe an Adobe Reader makeover.

The software has numerous preference/setting pages chock full of user options. I have been working with computers and software for about 40 years now and still found myself puzzling about the function of many of the selections. Back to reading the Help doc.

Piece by piece I customized the Orion program to operate the way I wanted it to... If I couldn't get what I was looking for I would write Carl and usually within minutes his responses would get me going in the right direction. On a few occasions our discussions actually lead to changes in the program itself. Image that!

A few weeks after reacquainting myself with the Orion program I have configured a highly improved Orion 565 GUI experience for myself... and find that I am using the Orion rig control almost all the time now (works nicely with DXLabs Suite too.)

I think the key point to understand about Carl's software is that treating it like a 'turn-key' application probably won't deliver even a small portion of the user experience possible by carefully learning what it can do and configuring it for your own specific requirements.

Postscript: Regarding performance with the Orion 565.... If you use a number of applications at the same time you may still find this program occasionally erratic during VFO tuning. At least that was my experience with a 2GHz PC and 2 GB of RAM. The fix under Windows XP was very simple... just go to the Task Manager and change the process preference for ORION.exe from the default of Normal to Above Normal or High. I use a program called Daphne to do this automatically. Windows sets nearly all applications to 'normal' so the more applications you use at the same time (in memory) the more each application gets a smaller portion of CPU availability. Most applications are not to critical regarding this CPU sharing but applications that are serial port intensive like this rig control software benefit from getting a slightly higher processor priority.

Jerry, KG6TT

KQ0B Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Software & Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off I am not affiliated with N4PY and he is not a friend. I have used the N4PY Orion Control Program for 2 years and needless to say I find it to be a great way to operate the Orion II. I can bring out the best features in the radio as a result of utilizing his fantastic way of allowing me to control the radio and its' functions. On numerous occasions Carl has provided answers to questions that I did not understand. His updates are timely and I find that it helps me understand the manual even more.
The software is especially nice to use in the digital modes with such software as MixW and other rtty, psk31 modes.

I have renewed two years and will continue to support Carl.

I must say that the memory files in themselves is a timesaver since Ten Tec only allows 4 band stack registers. I can have multiple programs up at the same time and still control the Orion.

Its nice to be able to control both VFOs. AND I can adjust the filters a lot easier than twiddling with the radio controls.

I highly recommend Carl's Orion software control to anyone.