Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | GAP HEAR IT Inline Module Help

Reviews Summary for GAP HEAR IT Inline Module
GAP HEAR IT Inline Module Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $180
Description: Stand alone audio DSP unit with variable audio and DSP level control.
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com/hearit.htm

You can write your own review of the GAP HEAR IT Inline Module.

W8SMF Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2014 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Good versitile product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If your transceiver does not have good DSP noise reduction capability, the GAP will help you. However, the GAP module provides little improvement over my Kenwood TS-590S. But I find one big operating advantage. I set up the TS590S for nominal signals and the GAP for weak signals. I operate with the GAP off for most contacts, then switch the GAP on for weak signals. This minimizes the amount of adjustments required to receive both strong signals and weak signals, a big advantage in managing a pileups.

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2013 15:04 Send this review to a friend
I like it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think the module works pretty good. I have never found claims by any manufacturer of radios and accessories to be 100% accurate, that's why I gave it a four. There have been complaints about the plugs not fitting properly and are loose. I found that to be with my module. so I checked out a couple of plugs I had and found the American made all metal SWITCH CRAFT plugs to solve that problem. I checked some plugs with my digital calipers and found, switch craft and one other plug with no name to be pretty close to 3.5mm. The cheaper ones where much smaller than 3.5mm. the positive tip of the plugs were to small causing a bad connection. so I will stick with SWITCH CRAFT for now.

K4FMH Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Tops for SSB  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one on eBay for a decent price. After having tried on-board PC DSP processing and found it required way too much fiddling to be practical, this device is tops for SSB work. Yes, the knobs and switches are plastic and a tad wobbly. If mine breaks, I'll buy one of the BHI DSP boards and install it in a metal box with metal knobs and switches. Thus far, it's not been a problem. In using this device, I can stand to read the mail while I'm doing something else...as an old commercial used to say, "oh, what a relief it is!".

I also have an MFJ 724B DSP unit. It's great for all modes...but does take some playing with to get the SSB just right. The BHI box sold under the Gap Hear It label is more of a set it and forget it. While YMMV, this box makes SSB a pleasure to listen to.

W8EY Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2012 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Reduces EAR FATIGUE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The GAP HEAR IT Inline Module does work well against most types or QRM. While it isnít perfect by any means, I will point out a couple of its best attributes. The algorithm that is implemented in the inline module makes the audio so much more comfortable to listen to than others I have experienced. I also feel it performs better than the noise reduction in my TS-2000. It makes a huge difference with my backup FT-840 and the DSP performs better than my IC-706IIG. There is less hollowness and DSP artifacts. The device is pretty much set and forget unless you do a lot of weak signal chasing, or mode switching. Now the bad stuff. As others have pointed out, crummy weak connectors, flaky fuse holder, somewhat cheap feel to the case. It is definitely an RFI magnet. (But that turned out to be a mixed blessing as it helped me get a ground loop cleaned up and I put an old box of ferrite cores to work.) I would highly recommend at least a snap on core between the fuse and the unit, it may save headaches later. I would ding it down to a 4, but it does such a good job at reducing ear fatigue. If you have a newer top end radio you really wont need this unit but on an older unit or even an middle aged DSP rig it may make a huge difference.

KE7EJG Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2010 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have successfully operated mobile for several years using an old Motorola communications speaker AND a Gap hear-it in line audio DSP unit. The Gap module is actually made by BHI in England. I have tried several DSP filters and have kept this one in the car due to it deep DSP noise filter. I use it on SSB with the the pre-amp and rf gain fully on. Only usable for slow speed CW - the FIR filter takes a second or so to "recover". Also, I use it on 2m FM with the squelch fully open. No squlech needed. The Hear-it module has flakey connectors (1/8 in stereo and RCA are both provided). Otherwise I have had great success. Timewave & MFJ products have much less noise reduction but good bandwidth filters. SGC is great for faster CW, it recovers quickly but only has a few selections for bandwidth and depth of noise reduction. FYI, I run run the IC-706 original rev and magmount antennas to NMO connections on the SUV roof. NMO grounds the roof, works well. 10m, 40m and 2m work well for me. I am in the Phoenix area, very noisy. Good luck - Alton, W7ACX

W8EZI Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2010 19:57 Send this review to a friend
works so well I don't want to work HF without it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I could only repeat the raves this equipment has received. To be completely candid, the plugs don't fit very well. This was complained of by another user. It is easy to forget this because the thing works so damn well. However, the plugs are PCB mounted and not easily changed. The manufacturer would have a perfect product if they could just get decent connectors.

I have a loop antenna on 75 meters on a city lot right in town. This device makes my ragchews sound like FM. Once you use this on SSB, you get spoiled very quickly. I only use SSB so I cannot comment on other modes.

The only other criticism I have is that the output audio could have been made a little higher wattage and you must use a different 12 volt power supply than that used for your transceiver. Otherwise you get audio noise back from your lousdpeaker while transmitting. Figure on getting a good wall transformer to run this thing.

The bottom line is that the basic design is so good that I am willing to accept these shortcomings and would buy another.

Michael

KC2SCY Rating: 3/5 Sep 19, 2009 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I brought my unit at this years hamfest in Ohio. I could not wait to get home and try it out. First I must say it does work. However the craftsmanship is very poor, connection come lose, the speaker fitting is horrible. If I uses my amp with unit in line I now get feed back through my speaker which I never had before.

otherwise it does as advertise

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2009 16:47 Send this review to a friend
GOODBYE NOISE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well it's just as I suspected it would be.The GAP "HEAR IT" IN LINE MODULE is just as GREAT as the GAP "HEAR IT" SPEAKER.The floor noise or white noise is NO LONGER a problem when using EITHER the IN LINE MODULE or the DSP speaker.You can even open the squelch on FM & NOT be blown out of the shack from the noise.THANKS AGAIN "GAP" for making 2 meter WEAK SIGNAL operations "FUN" as it should be with your GREAT DSP products!You make my old ICOM 271A "HEAR IT" WITHOUT the noise! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
EM80

KG4EKC Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent addition for FT 857D  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really love this device. It makes it so I can hear even weak signals. It has really helped me enjoy HF mobile. It is like listening to FM on HF. I use this module all the time. It really adds to the dsp filters in the 857D. I use this device with a moto speaker and there is volume strength loss but it is quite usable. I'm sure in the higher end radios it would be a waste of money but in this radio it is great.

N2WUX Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2008 15:30 Send this review to a friend
A very good performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the unit at the Dayton Hamfest about 3-4 years ago and it works great.It is the perfect partner for my noisy Icom 706MK IIG whose own built-in DSP is very poor.Lately however,the unit was cutting in/out which I attributed to loose/worn connections but it turned out to be the 9.2 Kohm input potentiometer which I was always adjusting.I took the unit apart by removing the 4 rubber feet (the screws are underneath)and replaced the worn pot with 8.2 Kohm and 1Kohm fixed resistors and it worked perfectly.Now I control the input level by simply adjusting the volume control of the radio.I would reccommend this unit to anyone with a " NOISY " radio like my mobil unit !!