Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | GAP HEAR IT Inline Module Help

Reviews Summary for GAP HEAR IT Inline Module
GAP HEAR IT Inline Module Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $180
Description: Stand alone audio DSP unit with variable audio and DSP level control.
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com/hearit.htm

You can write your own review of the GAP HEAR IT Inline Module.

WB9FMC Rating: 3/5 Dec 6, 2007 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Okay: YMMV  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The bottom line is that it helps some of lower end digital receivers eliminate noise that the radio *may* be exacerbating (see Rob Sherwoods presentation here: http://www.sherweng.com/documents/Dayton2007w.ppt).

These observations are on CW.

When I was using my Yeasu FT-757, it made a very noticeable difference, making copy much easier. But, when I use the Elecraft KX-1 or the Drake R-4C, the amount of signal required (as in audio S/N ratio) to "drive" the processor is at the point where it's already a comfortable copy. And, if you set it to copy a weak signal (at the edge of its capabilities), and that signal fades a bit, the DSP looses it altogether. If you bypass the unit, you'll still hear the signal enough to copy. I'm not sure why this is. It may be a general audio DSP issue.

So, I conclude that while it can help some radios, your millage may vary (YMMV).

kurtt, WB9FMC

N4VNV Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2007 07:39 Send this review to a friend
POOR QUALITY  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I found the GAP DNR module to be poor quality material. The plastic fuse holder body, broke into pieces in my hand when I took it out of the box. It's really an inferior grade of plastic. And the plug-in cables fit very poorly and won't maintain connection. Contact is broken by the least vibration, i.e. people walking by the rig.
WHEN it's working, it does a good job!

W4CAS Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 06:07 Send this review to a friend
What a great accessory!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my GAP inline module for about 4 months and my only question is, why didn't I buy one sooner? This unit works at least as well as advertised, maybe better! Depending on band conditions and noise levels, I never have to use a noise reduction setting above 3 or 4. Anything above 4 gives the audio a "watery" sound like you are listening through a hydrophone on the ocean bottom - but I'm sure there might be some conditions that warrent the use of higher processing levels. The only things I could find fault with are the smallish knobs (but I'm ham-handed...no pun intended!) and the somewhat awkward layout of the module. Seems like they could have designed a box with all the controls on the front and all the inputs, outputs and power connections on the back - but maybe I'm being too picky! And maybe a future model could include an automatic notch filter. But beyond my overly critical comments, this is truly a fantastic accessory!

KG6R Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2006 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Terrific  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the gap "Hear It" inline module for six months with my ft-840 and ft-897d. The noise reduction is terrific and I use it more often than not. Once I purchased the ft-897d (with DSP), I thought that I would not use the GAP module except with the ft-840. Wellllll I was wrong. With the GAP and the dsp in the ft-897d turned on, the difference is amazing. I highly recommend this product wether you plan on using it with boat anchors or improving the noise reduction with a radio equipped with dsp.

WB4VET Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2006 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Better than advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply put, it is better than advertised. It works with almost every radio and definitely gets rid of all types of noise. Congratulations to GAP for a piece of equipment that does what it is supposed to.

N2JSG Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2006 23:59 Send this review to a friend
A Powerful Aid In Noise Reduction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must echo other reviewers in saying that the Hear-It module works amazingly well. I must admit that I was initially skeptical of its ability to REALLY null out AC power line noise and the annoying buzz from dimmer switches. Needless to say I was quite anxious when I put the module to the test. Well, my anxiety was replaced with elation when I discovered that it eliminated all of the AC powerline noise completely from the reception of the desired signals. Not reduced noise, but complete elimination of the noise. FANTASTIC! Now I can monitor longwave signals again, something I could not do prior to my installation of the Hear-It module. I can't begin to tell anyone who suffers from the scourge of radio reception, namely line noise, of how satisfied I am with the unit. Also, I have eliminated my dimmer buzz.

Another thing that the Hear-It does well is the reduction of hiss and splatter caused by nearby signals. Also, lightning-induced static crashes seemed to be "softened," increasing intelligibility of a desired signal. An outstanding achievement.

However, as great as this unit does perform, like anything else, there are some drawbacks, but these are quite minor. First, in some situations, a noticeable fuzziness occurs when the DSP reduction is engaged. I have found that reducing the gain level of the DSP reduces this effect. Also, the unit does not come with "feet." As a consequence, it sits on one's operating desk w/o any stability and is prone to moving around when touched. Since my radio gear is installed in a rack console, I have Velcroed the module to a blank rack panel to alleviate the mounting issue.

Will you get the same great results I get from the Hear-It Module? I feel confident that you will, based on my experience.

73, Dean

K4SCI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Buy one, it's that good.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm a serious low band ragchewer, and recieve on 75 meters can be annoying with all the noise. In the past I used to crank up the DSP on my 746 until I discovered the clear speech DSP unit. No longer made the clear speech is good, but the Hear IT is awesome.

Now using a 756 Pro III, with a Gap Hear IT and a Sounds Sweet speaker, I'm in heaven. The Gap Hear IT does everything already said about it. This setup makes LSB sound like FM!

Bottom line, try one. I'm about to purchase a FT-897, and I'm having the DSP board installed in to the radio. It's that good.

WG7H Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2004 20:46 Send this review to a friend
IT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Whether you have outside line noise as I do or are just tired of the static/hash that we all get, this device will amaze you. The gap inline module effectively reduces the noise so you can hear stations clearly. I normally have an 8 to 9 noise level on 40 meters. I talk with a group regularly on 40 meters and often times really struggled to hear some stations. With this device they are clear and I only miss things from QSB, not noise. Even when I am on one of the upper bands, 20, 17 etc. and have little or no noise level it reduces hash and makes signals clear. I have worked a lot of DX since I have had this that I simply would not have herd had I not been using this device.

It is easy to install, just plug and play as they say in computer lingo. I use a headphone but you can hook up a speaker to it, I have tried both and they work equally as well. It is powered simply by hooking up to your power supply.

I really can't speak highly enough for this module. I thank Gap for making such a great accessory to enhance my ham radio enjoyment.

AF4KK Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2004 12:10 Send this review to a friend
GREAT on SSB!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned my GAP in-line DSP module for almost a month now and I am loving it (sorry, McDonalds)! It really elliminated the noise on those messsy HF bands and it really cleans up a signal for SSTV work!! When I turn the DSP up to the maximum levels, the audio can get kinda' "weird" sounding, but that's to be expected! It really shines on SSB!! GREAT job, GAP!!

Scott Heath (AF4KK)

K5PA Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2004 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a noise reduction solution based on DSP technology but wasn't sure I wanted a speaker-DSP unit quite yet. With this module, I have full flexibility to use in the home or car just by unpugging 3 cables.

Works fantastic with my older pre-DSP radios (TS-450, FT-871, etc.) and for all modes (RTTY, CW, SSB, etc.) In the home, the XYL appreciates not having to hear all the power line noise and other nuiscenses coming from the speakers. Makes monitoring a real joy with much less fatigue.

I did get the manual with unit that is also down loadble on-line. Unit has controls for level input, power level output, speaker volume output, source input select, and rotary switch for depth of noise cancellation. Requies 12 VDC power source.

All controls are accessible from the top of the unit as it rests on my desk (I added 4 small rubber feet). LED's indicate level of input overload and output noise cancelation active.

Based on this unit, I will consider the purchase of a speaker based system where I can dedicate it to mobile (I did run this unit mobile and it worked as stated).

Purchased on-line and received within 2 days. Highly recommend the unit.