Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX-300
Radio Shack DX-300 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $$399.99 (in 1980)
Description: The DX-300 is a DC to 29.999 MHz general-coverage short wave radio.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-300.

KC5PIE Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2011 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad... BUT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading some of the reviews about the DX-300, that I purchased at the last Belton Ham Expo, one thing that I have noticed about the receiver is that it LOVES a good antenna. If you simply hook a long-wire to the coax connector's center conductor on the back, YES, it will have the sensitivity of a hockey puck.. On the other hand... There is a terminal strip with 2 grounds and 1 antenna connection. I tied the two grounds together and grounded them to an 8 ft stick of re-bar driven into the ground. The antenna connection was connected to a 100 ft+ random wire @ 12-50 ft. Needless to say, the reception was "on par" with some better rigs. The flaw with this rig is its' dependency on a good "earth ground". With that done, it performed great on 160m, 80m, 40m, and 20m, all the way to 30m.
I paid 30 bucks for this "test rig" and could not be happier with it! It DOES need a great antenna to perform, but don't all rigs need that? ;-)

KG4GYL Rating: 1/5 Dec 7, 2009 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Yes it works BUT...not well.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I though the Hallicrafters SW-120 was a great radio but back then I didn't know any better. This radio makes the SW-120 "dog' of a receiver look like a "top -of-the line" Collins!
This is an attractive radio yet I would be very
disappointed to have paid $300+ for this radio back in the day. It will work but not well and drifts like a sailboat in a perfect storm. Intermod all over the place and the S-meter goes dead after only a short period of use. Do you think the average "Joe" could even find the AM broadcast band much less tune in Radio Bulgaria?
You can buy a better radio at a flea market for $50. I think RS got a sweetheart deal on these radios because the appearance is the only thing SWEET about it. Find a used DX-200: that's a better radio.

ERIEDXER Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2009 12:37 Send this review to a friend
It's not for the serious listener  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
By comparison to what it was trying to copy (Yaesu FRG-7000) it didn't even come close. It's cheaply made and all the controls feel cheap. (I beleive it was manufactured by Sanyo which should say it all.) It is OK for an under $100 rig (the most I would ever pay for one) first timer SWL to have a little fun listening to AM shortwave broadcast, but you can't really push it beyond that or it annoys you. Once you move up to something (virtually anything) above it you will sell your Realistic DX300.

N1GKE Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2008 05:03 Send this review to a friend
DX-300 as tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
After many years involved with all type of electronic equipment, I find this receiver to be just fine as a tool. Like any piece of equipment, you really should have a good understanding of the internal workings.

With a proper antenna and grounding system this unit is still used quite often for many listening pleasures, from the VLF band through the ten meter amateur radio band.

Yes, it does take a little getting used to, like any equipment, but once mastered it works just fine.

I have left this unit on for days at a time when listening for aero weather stations, for NASA tracking planes and ships during shuttle launches and returns.

I am looking now for the next two upline models, the DX-302 and the DX-394.

The only thing this receiver needs is a savy listener, but it is also a great rig for new comers as well.

My favorite tag line of course, "Find solutions, not fault."

N3KRV Rating: 1/5 Feb 1, 2008 02:34 Send this review to a friend
it was an o.k. radio I liked the styling  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Bought the DX-300 at a radio shack as is person took it in for repairs and never picked it up, I get teh radio home and hooked it up and I was NEVER able to pick up anything on it and acording to the repaire tag it had several parts replaced and an alignment done and was working perfectly
at the time I lived 3 miles form WTOP 1500 AM and under the right conditions you could pick up the station on your tv set LOL well this DX-300 couldn't pick it up, I took the radio back and they sent it in for repairs it came back they said it was working fine, but not for me I never was able to get the radio to recieve anything at all, after I moved I put it back in the shop for the last time and this time there was something wrong with the tuning dial unit and the parts wern't available anymore since the radio was over 12 years old, so I gave it away, if you do happen to find this radio on ebay or at a yard sale beware unless you can actually hook the radio up and hear it working properly and it's REAL cheap dont' get it.

K9EUI Rating: 0/5 Dec 9, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
A real loser  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a lot of receivers in my life and this is one of the sorriest. I don't see how others can rate it as high as they do (unless all they listen to is the AM BC band). The main problem is drift. The receiver is a copy of the Yaesu FRG-7. The upside is the digital readout. The drift problem is due to the cheap pocket transistor radio type tuning capacitor they used. Had they use a standard metal plate one it would have prevented that problem. I tuned in WWV 10 MHz, zero beat it, and in an hour it drifted so far the station could not be heard, and it was still drifting.

MATSRAM Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2007 15:00 Send this review to a friend
not easy to use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all, please accept my apologies for my poor English, I am not a native speaker.
I bought my DX-300 for 40EUR (50USD) on ebay and I got a receiver never used in its original packaging.
This included DC-cable and 1A-fuse, whip antenna, cable cones, and rubber feet.
Like most of the other contributors, I could not afford this receiver back in 1979 when I was a student. Today, you find many unused DX-300s, this seems due to that Tandy sold it to a mass market but consumers were unable to cope whith its demanding operation, were disappointed and stored it away. My DX-300 is 8A9 (August 1979), it has improved SSB-reception introduced in spring of 1979.
Still AM-reception does not provide satisfactory audio while SSB does. One should try an external speaker.
Experimenting whith antennas is a lot of fun. I connected my rig to my roof tube and got lots of stations: Quito, Havanna, Cairo, Damascus and Pyoengyang/North Korea(in German!)Besides these propaganda stations I could receive VOLMET from Shanwick, Ireland and airline traffic across North Atlantic (Santa Maria, in USB). While the receiver is sensitive, so is its operation. You constantly have to readjust Preselect, MHz, kHz and RF-gain, but this is true for any Waddley-Loop-Receiver.
Remember that there is just a handfull of marks beeing made from 1970 to 1985 and only the DX-300/2 and Yaesu FRG-7000 have digital freq readout.
Now something really useful (do not refer to the sevice manual, it won`t help you):
When I was looking for a manual, by chance I got in contact with a gentleman who turned out to be a former Tandy-Service-Technician. He gave me the following advice:
IF THE MHZ-PORTION DETUNES THE KHZ-PORTION, YOU SHOULD CLEAN SW-7 USING PRESSURIZED AIR. SW-7 IS POSITONED ON THE END OF THE MHZ VARIABLE CAPACITOR IN THE CENTER OF THE RIG. YOU CANNOT AND MUST NOT DIASSEMBLE IT; JUST CLEAN IT FROM OUTSIDE REPEATEDLEY. THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM; I FIXED IT ON MY DX AND IT WORKED VERY SATISFACTORY.
Another possible cause is incorrect setting of VR201, this is balance of fist mix, it should be regulated with utmost care.

73 from Germany
Matthias

KC0IVX Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2006 13:13 Send this review to a friend
No scanning/requires knob fiddling; but otherwise good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The previous review is quite good and accurate to my thinking. The DX-300 was manufactured about 1980 and it is still a good general coverage receiver; but it requires some practice to tune correctly because of the unique Wadley Loop design. Unlike modern shortwave receivers you just cannot punch in the frequency, it takes some practice.

Also, please take note of this: it has no automatic scanning feature! But, that's not necessarily bad. I think it helps my DXing skills because it forces me to listen to distant stations. And, with a 30 foot inverted L antenna I have picked up stations all over the globe, day and night.

If the price is right and if you like knob twiddling then you can get one in good condition for less than $100. I got mine at a hamfest for $50 and as of February 2006 they were selling for about the same on www.ebay.com. Personally I don't think you should pay much more than $50.

Email me if you have any more specific questions about this rig: tandjmyers@earthlink.net. All in all, I am quite satisfied with the rig.

Here is how I tune my DX-300 with the Wadley Loop design. If a am searching for a particular frequency I set the kHz knob first because that is an exact settling. 265 kHz is just that, 265 kHz. Then I set the preselector in the general frequency range and then I set the MHz knob for the best reception. But, I am not done yet. I finally go back to the preselector again to tune it up the frequency for the best reception.

If I am crusing for stations I use a slightly different technique. For example for 5.000 to 5.999 kHz I will first set the preselector for 5.000 kHz then set the kHz for .000 then tune up to 5MHz on that knob. The problem is that there is a range of motion on the MHz knob which varies from 5 or 10 degrees of arc to maybe 20 degrees (or so it seems) depending on your MHz range. If the MHz setting is not rather exact you may miss stations or get false station readings.

I let the rig warm up for 10 or 15 minutes before using so the drift settles down. The rig is fun to hunt down distant AM stations. It's a pretty good Medium Wave receiver. I have heard beacons on the lower frequencies below 540 kHz. You can pick up hams ragchewing on Upper or Lower side band; but that too takes some fine tuning. When you are tuning for shortwave frequencies and hear Donald Duck voices then you might be listening to Single Side Band so then you switch to either Upper or Lower Side Band and tune in from there.

So, if you are looking for a receiver which speed scans and is "guaranteed" to hit a frequency dead on then this receiver is not for you. Look for something more modern. But for a low price the preselector/MHz/kHz knob twitching is not a bad bargain. It certainly takes patience. Also, it is sometimes good for DXing because without the scan feature it forces you to slow down and listen to what you are hearing on any particular band. I like that. I'll keep this rig for years.
Best regards, 73s
Todd Myers
KC0IVX, Denver

NIGHTHAWK Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this radio up on ebay for $77.00 USD. I got it a couple weeks ago and it has been working fine since. I like the digital readout and it is accurate, at least on mine. I have been able to fish out weaker signals and hear more stuff in general than I did on my older DX-160 and Grundig S350.

Pros: Digital Frequency, Good AM, Able to fish out weaker signals, no drift, good audio quality.

Cons: Eats batteries fast, high noise floor, no real IF filter (just audio).

In all this is a good radio for casual SWLing, while it isn't a $500 modern unit it still does the job well.

G1YTG Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2005 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in a junk shop, 15 years ago, and still have it! Wadley Loop design is a bit unusual. It does indeed go down to VLF frequencies. I can get the MSF (60kHz) and DCF (77.5 KHz) time signals on a piece of wire. Seems very good on 20 metres ! No problems with this reciever, for the price. Wish I could have afforded a JRC!