Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit HL-2200 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HL-2200
Heathkit HL-2200 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $850
Description: The Heathkit Model HL-2200 Linear Amplifier is a completly self-contained, table top, grounded grid, linear amplifier. It is designed to operate at the maximum amateur power limit on SSB, CW and RTTY.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HL-2200.

KK4IBG Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2012 12:07 Send this review to a friend
A Power House !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked this amp up at Nearfest, This thing is really fantastic , very forgiving , very easy to tune/load , runs very cool , I love the new color and style they ended up going with.
This amp will look great in any shack and perform very well. I would highly recomend it, if you can find one . It seems that there are not very many of them out there. To bad Heathkit is gone !

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Real converted beauty on 6m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a 6m converted HL 2200 from a ham in Ohio and it is awesome. Initial tests show that it puts out over 1300 watts with 100 W of input on 220 VAC. It is extremely solid runs extremely cool and seems as if it could put out more if only my K3 had higher output power. It is a beautiful piece of workmamship from a bygone era. Modified beautifully for 6m. I can't wait to use it when the 6m season opens in. May.

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2008 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Solid!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm an ampaholic. I like to buy, restore and use the older generation of QRO amplifiers. I've had a few amps and this one is a solid performer. Truly Heathkit quality. In essence, it's a SB-221 in a different package. Even with old tubes I'm able to get 1300 watts output. Mine has the 10 meter mod and will easily make 1KW on 10 meters.
The soft points of the HL-2200 is the rocker type switches. Mine also has the relay mod for the primary power in order to "save" the life of the rocker switch.
Point 2: It has a "Stand-by" switch. Wonderful!
Point 3: I drilled a hole in the bearing housing on the fan in order to oil the motor.
Point 3: I replaces the filter capacitor eq resistors from 30K to 100K.
At 2600 VDC under load, 800 ma Ip @ =/- 65% eff., it does 1.352 KW.
If you can find one, expect to pay between $650 and $800 in todays market if it is good shape.
73 and Happy Amping! MArcel N5VU

WD8CJN Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2007 12:08 Send this review to a friend
The HL-2200 is a Brown Beast  Time owned: months
Purchased from an older ham (like myself) that only liked to build Heath gear. The HL-2200 is a wolf in brown sheep skin. There is no 10 or 160 meters so if you like to run heavy on 10 you will need to look for a SB-220 tank circuit swap out. The band switch has an extra position that is tagged out as I recall. Since it is the last amp produced by Heath it has the upgraded filament transformer that does not require a step-start circuit ($20) to protect the 3-500's however the on/off switch should be replaced as they had a very high failure rate when turned on and there is a service bulletin out on that rocker. You cant get the original style so replacing all three is best if you want it to look clean. RTO Electronics has the rockers and other service parts.

I find that running it on a dedicated 110v line is no problem and it will run just fine with minor voltage sag but 220v should cause the snot to run out of your dummy load. As far as output, it will make the legal limit. My Icom 746PRO will only output 85-90 watts so no ALC is needed as I cant over drive the amp. With the rf gain set at about 60% it will output 650 watts on my peek reading meter, for what it is worth. If you have an MFJ tuner,load it with as much capacitance as possible or it will arc over in the tuner. That should tell you something about it's capability or that of the tuner. I did install a solid state relay to key the amp and changed out the filter bank as a matter of age to avoid problems. Harbach provided the quality parts. Another item of maintenance is to drill a small pilot hole in the fan bearing to get some oil directly in there with a syringe. The fan will fail if not oiled in a year.

It certainly is not for the weak at heart or those who like to save money using RG-58 coax but it is what many other manufactures use as a standard when building todays amps at 4 times the price.

If it is to be shipped the hv transformer must be removed as the mounting plate is too thin to withstand shipping and will tear loose. Other than that, I am a very happy camper.

NJ3A Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2007 05:27 Send this review to a friend
OHHH the GLOW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first real HF amp since my 11 meter days of the 70s... This amp is a dream, smooth tuning, readily available parts and tons of output. With 2x 3-500z Eimacs this amp easily puts out 1KW+. Mine did not have the Heathkit manual available, so I bought the Complete one from Vintage Manuals (www.w7fg.com), including all schematics and drawings. Well worth the few bucks.

The first thing I did when I got this amp was to clean it...inside and out. A little Windex and paper towels does a great job. Clean the 3-500z tubes of all the past smokers residue..it helps with cooling and just looks better. You'll know if it was with a smoker if your paper towel looks brown when your done... It's amazing how dirty a piece of equipment can get from a smoker...enough said.

My amp has had a number of the Harbach mods done to bring it up to snuff. It already had the Heathkit power switch mod, so I added the Soft Start, Soft Key and Rectifier and Metering mod. All easy to do if you take your time. Harbach has been out of CAPs (they just came in) so that will probably be the final mod for this amp...and I expect it will bring it up to new specs. The HV drops during TX and I assume the old caps are why. After the SMOKE test (there was none) I put this amp to work with my IC-756 Pro II, Palstar AT4K Tuner (for wires) and M2 KT36XA Tribander (<1.5:1 SWR on 10-15-20 meter bands). Exceptional signal reports from all stations. The antenna does great on it's own(check my review), but with this amp it is truely outstanding. Clean audio and spectacular performance.

Visually, this amp does not have the hospital green Heathkit face and it goes great with all late model equipment. It's not light by any means and will cost more to have it shipped as you'll have to remove the tubes. I got mine local so the transformer stayed in. For longer shipping I would recommend removing the transformer.

If you want a high power amp, readily available parts and lots of capability...this amp will do it. It's not the newest high tech nano kid on the block...but it might just turn out to be the bully on the block.

YA GOTTA LUV THE GLOW!!!

KE4AWM Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2005 15:50 Send this review to a friend
IF YOU CAN FINE ONE , BETTER BUY IT,I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE TWO  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS IS THE BEST LOOKING AND THE BEST OPERATING AMP MADE AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.IT IS TOTALLY BULLET PROOF AND ALMOST INDESTRUCTABLE.TO BAD OTHER MANUFACTURES WON'T OR FEEL THEY CAN'T MAKE ENOUGHT MONEY CONSTRUCTING A LOW COST AMP AS THE SB 220 OR HL 2200.THESE AMPS WORK AS WELL AS OR IF NOT BETTER THEM ALL THOSE FANCY $1200 PLUS UNITS.O WELL WELCOME TO THE FUTURE.
TONY V

W3WQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2004 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent AMP!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this Amp off of Ebay about 6 months ago. I sent it directly to RTO (Heath Repairs and parts) in Benton Harbor, MI for a general check-up and to install a couple of mods. I've been using it for 5 months and it works flawlessly with 1200 watts out in RTTY. Not having 10 meters doesn't bother me a bit, when 10 meters is in you don't need an Amp anyway...

KF0XV Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2004 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine in Feb. of this year for about 700 dollars. Only thing to go bad was the rocker switch for the power on/off but this does not affect the performance. I run mine on 110vac and get 700 to 800 watts on 80-10 but I only run 500 watts on any band. I don't know when or who built it but he/she did a very nice job. I give it a 5 because thats how it has worked for me so far. If you get one don't forget the manual, its about 45 bux. I know...

NX5W Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2003 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Enjoy It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this thing about 3 months now. It out performs most amps I have owned. Heathkit had a modification to the 220 Volt hook up. Got this done and it works a lot better. It does work on 110 Volt, But I never ran it on 110 volts. Couldn't tell you what the output would be(Maybe 1000 watts?)
Performance overall is real good, not much dimming of lights in shack now that this mod was done. Got mine from an estate and the Ol' Man didn't use it much either. The 3-500z stay pretty cool with this 6"(?) fan inside. Real simple to work on, a lot better than the Yaesu Fl-2100B is. There isn't any room in that thing!
Enjoy!

WA2JJH Rating: 3/5 Aug 13, 2003 21:21 Send this review to a friend
MATCHING PROBLEMS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got mine busted from ebay. after much time it works. It is an SB-221, However the case is dark brown.

This was built for 220ac and had many mods in it. THE MODS WERE HOMEMADE.

The high swr on 80 and 40M MAYBE PROBLEMATIC.
Their are upgrades.

I paid $400 for a pig in a poke. I heard that some of the other 3-500z amps are very expensive.

110VDC RELAY SWITCHING WILL MAKE YOU HOMEBREW AN OPTOISOLATOR DEVICE. A MUST FOR ALL RIGS MADE FOR THE PAST 25 YEARS OR SO. simple circuit, a few dollars from radio shack.

If you buy one broke, test the supply. Also do not go for the ohhhh...,you got shorted tubes!!!!
COSY YA $300 FOR NEW TUBES..,GIVE YOU $200 FOR AMP.

3-500Z'S ARE GOOD FOR 20,000HR. I was given the shorted tube, and bad power supply routine several times. I WILL GIVE YOU $175! NOBODY IS GIVING ME ANYTHING!

These amps sell can sell for $800 working.
ONE ameritron is this AMP, just with a few mods.
COST IS $1200.

From what I know this is just the SB-221 in a much better looking case.