Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-297 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-297
MFJ-297 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $$70
Description: Desk mike
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-297.

KD2DRM Rating: 0/5 Oct 28, 2016 10:17 Send this review to a friend
garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend gave me one that was never used. After 3 days of light usage with my Kenwood V71, the PTT switch became intermittent and then gave out. I went to a local electronics store and bought one for $4 but found the legs were not long enough to fit through the board. I found allelectronics.com and ordered 2 of them for less than a buck each. Had to add to my order just to make it worth my while to pay the $5 basic shipping. This switch the legs reached but the post had to be shortened. Unfortunately in the desoldering process of removing the old one, I melted the circuit trace from the board. I am throwing it in the garbage. This was my first experience with an MFJ product and I was told that it stood for Might Funky Junk. I will never buy MFJ products. I will buy an OEM Kenwood desk mic

KD2DRM Rating: 1/5 Jul 5, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
mighty fine junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend gave me a brand new MFJ-297 mic still in box. After 3 days of very light usage, the ptt switch became intermittent. Picked up a replacement aftermarket switch at local electronics shop but the legs are too short to reach through the circuit board. Now I have to hunt down the OEM part.

KD0QEB Rating: 3/5 Sep 7, 2015 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Not for som Yaesu's  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine a couple of years ago to use with my ICOM IC-718. It worked very well with that radio. I purchased a Yaesu FT-950 and wanted to use the MFJ-297 on that radio so I ordered the cable and hooked it us . . . none of my function keys on the radio worked! I couldn't change bands, activate any filters or anything. Contacted MFJ and was told that the MFJ-297 had issues with some Yaesu radios.

ND4MR Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 16:12 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a desk mike for my TS-480, and the dedicated Kenwood microphone, the MC-60, seemed pretty pricey, so I decided to give the MFJ-297 a try. Well, so far I am completely satisfied with the mike. It took me a few minutes to get the mike gain settings between the rig and the mike correctly adjusted, but on-the-air reports say that I have excellent audio. My single wish would be about the power switch -- I've never had to turn a microphone "on" and "off" before.

KC4YT Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2014 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works ok for me. I'm using with Icom 756 II & notice some of others that have problems were using Yaesu radios. Don't know if that is an issue in itself.
I have this MFJ mike, MFJ balun, MFJ 259 ant. analyzer and MFJ headphones, & some other stuff. Never had a problem with any of it. All has worked very well to this point.
As info,
KC4YT

N2UOG Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Very Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very Disappointed with this microphone and MFJ and I'll tell you why. I have a Yeasu FT-2900 2 meter mobile radio that I use as a base station and I was searching around for a desktop microphone that I could use to replace the stock hand held original one. I focused in on the MFJ 297 and after reading some good reviews here I decided to purchased one. Being this was for a mobile radio and not a regular base station I called up both MFJ & HRO and asked if they knew of any issues that would prevent the 297 from working with my 2 meter Yaesu 2900 mobile radio and they both said that it would work fine just as long as I ordered the correct connecting cable for my Yaesu modular system which was the MFJ-5397MY. I ordered it from HRO and waited for it to arrive and HRO shipped it fast, I was excited when it arrived opened the box carefully, read the manual inserted the batteries as directed and went to hook it up only to find that the modular cable would not fit into my Yaesu FT-2900 modular slot even though I had the correct cable. After calling HRO and explaining what happened (They thoutht I purchased the wrong cable) but after learning that I didn't they contacted MFJ and MFJ told them that it wouldn't work on Yaesu mobile radios. If that is that case then why didn't they state that within their catalog information and that doesn't even explain why they didn't tell me that it wouldn't work with my radio when I asked them in the first place. When I compared the original Yaesu microphone modular connector to the MFJ modular connector the MFJ-5397MY was larger. So, although I really liked this microphone I never actually was able to use it and I'm very disapointed. I am listing my experience with this so nobody else has to go through it but I also wonder, Am I the only one that has found this to be a problem. If any other hams have also had this problem I'd sure like to hear from you and your thought's Thanks and 73 N2UOG@AOL.COM

KJ4VVU Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Works great with Alinco DR 635  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rich sounding reports and less background noise than the stock hand microphone. A friend loaned me the mic to try and it's a keeper.

WA7BND Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Mine works good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my FMJ-297 for several years on a Yaesu FT-897D and works fine and I get good audio reports. A little unhandy to switch from FM to SSB (switch is on the bottom of mic stand). Mic is also adjustable for gain through a screwdriver slot on bottom of stand. That should address those who said something about high or low gain reports. This mic is designed to work with almost all radios, just get the correct cord for your radio.

VE2KV Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Realy satisfied  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Get nothing but good reports and it works as it should... am I lucky ???

KC9MEN Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2009 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Fine with good cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This works well as long as you have a good cord. Very hot audio on SSB good on AM/FM. Bad experience is usually because of the cable. Many are either incorrectly wired or made with bad materials. Quality does pay!