Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-297 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-297
MFJ-297 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $$70
Description: Desk mike
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-297.

KC4YT Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2014 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works ok for me. I'm using with Icom 756 II & notice some of others that have problems were using Yaesu radios. Don't know if that is an issue in itself.
I have this MFJ mike, MFJ balun, MFJ 259 ant. analyzer and MFJ headphones, & some other stuff. Never had a problem with any of it. All has worked very well to this point.
As info,
KC4YT

N2UOG Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Very Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very Disappointed with this microphone and MFJ and I'll tell you why. I have a Yeasu FT-2900 2 meter mobile radio that I use as a base station and I was searching around for a desktop microphone that I could use to replace the stock hand held original one. I focused in on the MFJ 297 and after reading some good reviews here I decided to purchased one. Being this was for a mobile radio and not a regular base station I called up both MFJ & HRO and asked if they knew of any issues that would prevent the 297 from working with my 2 meter Yaesu 2900 mobile radio and they both said that it would work fine just as long as I ordered the correct connecting cable for my Yaesu modular system which was the MFJ-5397MY. I ordered it from HRO and waited for it to arrive and HRO shipped it fast, I was excited when it arrived opened the box carefully, read the manual inserted the batteries as directed and went to hook it up only to find that the modular cable would not fit into my Yaesu FT-2900 modular slot even though I had the correct cable. After calling HRO and explaining what happened (They thoutht I purchased the wrong cable) but after learning that I didn't they contacted MFJ and MFJ told them that it wouldn't work on Yaesu mobile radios. If that is that case then why didn't they state that within their catalog information and that doesn't even explain why they didn't tell me that it wouldn't work with my radio when I asked them in the first place. When I compared the original Yaesu microphone modular connector to the MFJ modular connector the MFJ-5397MY was larger. So, although I really liked this microphone I never actually was able to use it and I'm very disapointed. I am listing my experience with this so nobody else has to go through it but I also wonder, Am I the only one that has found this to be a problem. If any other hams have also had this problem I'd sure like to hear from you and your thought's Thanks and 73 N2UOG@AOL.COM

KJ4VVU Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Works great with Alinco DR 635  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rich sounding reports and less background noise than the stock hand microphone. A friend loaned me the mic to try and it's a keeper.

WA7BND Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Mine works good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my FMJ-297 for several years on a Yaesu FT-897D and works fine and I get good audio reports. A little unhandy to switch from FM to SSB (switch is on the bottom of mic stand). Mic is also adjustable for gain through a screwdriver slot on bottom of stand. That should address those who said something about high or low gain reports. This mic is designed to work with almost all radios, just get the correct cord for your radio.

VE2KV Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Realy satisfied  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Get nothing but good reports and it works as it should... am I lucky ???

KC9MEN Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2009 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Fine with good cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This works well as long as you have a good cord. Very hot audio on SSB good on AM/FM. Bad experience is usually because of the cable. Many are either incorrectly wired or made with bad materials. Quality does pay!

N1IER Rating: 0/5 Aug 20, 2008 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well when it comes to this microphone you truly do “get what you pay for”. I originally bought this for my FT-857D and I was getting reports of hum on my audio. I replaced the MFJ cable with a home-made shielded cable and the hum reports stopped. 1st lesson learned, the MFJ cable was poorly made. Then I moved up to the FT-950 and started getting reports of feedback on my signal. Listening to the output I heard what I would describe as high speed fan noise/whistle and when I put my hand over the mic it hummed like crazy. Well turned off all of the fans in the room, double checked the wiring and checked the radio settings but the noise was still there. I wired up the old MC-50 and everything sounds great now. 2nd lesson learned, this microphone was a bad choice. Save yourself the headache and spend the extra money to get a quality microphone, it’s worth it.

VK2FTNY Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2008 06:52 Send this review to a friend
you get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this mic for over 2yrs and in that time it has been out of service for about 18mths.Build quality is typical MFJ in recent years,very cheap and in the words of another reviewer cheesy.At around the 3mth mark the ptt micro switch started to fail and so had to lock the button to transmit each and everytime.Audio out of the electret condenser is ok, clean and clear but is definatly on the tinny side.As the old saying goes you get what you pay for,And id be saving a few extra pennys and look elsewhere.

KB4WEC Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2007 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Very good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very pleased with the mike, only have had it about two weeks, but have received nonething but outstanding audio reports. Using the mike on a Icom 703. Seems that some of the other reviews were poor due to selecting the wrong cable . The general comments about the quality of MFJ products seems to me to be unfair. I have never had a issue with anything from them, and own several tuners, and a 9440 ssb 40 meter rig that is a great performer.

WD8LQT Rating: 1/5 Feb 11, 2007 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Poor on all accounts.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an MFJ-297 and two associated cables at the Orlando Hamfest. The rigs I planned to use the mircophone on include my old Yaesu FT767GX as well as an Icom 706 MKIIG. The reason I purchased this microphone was because of its so-called flexibility (switch out cables and flip a switch to work on a different rig). First experience on the Yaesu was squealing and distorted audio on SSB. Distorted audio with a distinct hum on FM. Well, then I thought I would try it with the 706. Once again, distorted audio (sounded like I was in a can) along with a distinct hum). I purchased the microphone new from R&L and am in hopes they will refund my money. Take it from me, you truly get what you pay for and if you think it's a great bargain.....put it back on the shelf.