Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-297 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-297
MFJ-297 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $$70
Description: Desk mike
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-297.

N2RFY Rating: 1/5 Apr 22, 2006 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Not Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these mics new from AES to use with my Yaesu FT 840. The mic was "cheesy", poorly built, cheap made and just didn't impress me right out of the box. When connected to my FT 840, it would not work. Constant PTT, and loss of panel functions on the rig. I called AES, they said it needed a special cable for the FT 840, they sent me the new cable, mic still was not working right. I had PTT now, but still lost some of the panel functions, and the buttons on the mic itself did not work. Packed it up and sent it back for refund. I since picked up a used Yaesu MD 100AX in mint condition, works great, all functions work properly, great unsolicted audio reports. Much happier.

KI4HWC Rating: 2/5 Feb 26, 2006 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Don't push that hard!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
the Mic is OK. had problems with gain. 5 buttons gave way. Wouldn't buy again

K1RTO Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2004 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Very nice mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this mic for several years now. I've used it with an FT-840 and IC-706MKIIG as well as my 2M rig IC-2100. Had great reports on the audio quality. Not all buttons work with my rig, but the important ones do. PTT and PTT Lock. requires 2 AA batteries. Mine lasted several years, just replaced them. I feel more confident about my audio with this than the supplied hand mics.

WV4I Rating: 2/5 Jul 16, 2003 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Check cable wiring!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Actually the mike works reasonably well. Audio reports are good, and it has an FM/SSB selector for softer or hotter audio, if you will. The problem lies with the mike to radio cable, RJ-11 to something, which is ordered separately. In my case, I needed the model MFJ-5397Y for my FT-990's 8 pin mike connector. What I got was a cable in a package labeled as such, but wired for who knows what. Only one pin out of 8 was wired correctly. One of the miswired pins was sending 8vdc to the freq up line of radio! Transmit was locked, etc.. Nothing was damaged by the 8vdc, but many radios not as tough as the FT-990 would have taken serious offense!
Moral of the story with MFJ seems to always be the same. Assume you will have to finish building and/or troubleshoot, and compare/consider the hassle/cost factor when making purchase decision. Had same problems with their MFJ-434 Voice Keyer, which now works fine. It's too bad MFJ apparently chooses to allow such poor QC to continue. They really have provided the ham ranks with many innovative, useful products over the years.