Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-1954/MFJ-1956 Telescoping Whip Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1954/MFJ-1956 Telescoping Whip Antennas
MFJ-1954/MFJ-1956 Telescoping Whip Antennas Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$19.95/$29.95
Description: 10-foot and 12-foot telescopic whips: Use as an antenna by itself (10/12 and 15 Meters) or use on top of a screwdriver antenna to greatly improve it's efficiency. Of course, you have to pull over -- these are not meant to withstand low overhangs! Use on many base-loaded antennas to extend coverage (10-80 Meters). Use them to make portable dipole antennas. Hex base threaded 3/8 x 24 stub.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1954

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1954/MFJ-1956 Telescoping Whip Antennas.

GM7CXM Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2003 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Useful in a variety of circumstances  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 10 whip which I received as part of the MFJ 1664 screwdriver antenna package. I had actually wanted the 12 whip but it seems MFJ had some initial stock problems which I understand are now sorted out. This review relates to use of the whip as a quarter wave vertical on 10 and 12 metres. A review on the screwdriver antenna will follow.

The whip comes collapsed at 20 long, and extends to 10 long at maximum. The top section has a larger diameter than I expected and the whip is consequently somewhat heavier than I expected, although it is still perfectly manageable. It is terminated in a solid 3/8 x 24 threaded stud. I have mounted the antenna both on the car and on a buddipole tripod with similar results. It is also possible to use two of these whips on a double connector in a dipole configuration.

To tune the antenna, I simply calculated the length required on each band and subtracted from the total length. For 10 metres I leave one section retracted, plus about 4 cm (1.1/2) of the next section. For 12 metres, the top section is pushed in about 10cm (4). I find that this gives flat SWR right across the band, even on 10m.

For practical tests I mounted both the whip and my usual 1m20 (4) Nova Eco Veicolare helical whip, and switched between the two. It should be pointed out that the antennas are close to one another and there was probably some interaction between them. For proper testing there should be a greater distance between the two. In any case, under these conditions the whip performed consistently better than the helical, normally around 1 s-unit better although some stations reported greater differences. The majority of testing was done on 10m, and all DX called was worked. I used both 100w and 400w, there were no problems either with tuning or with heating, the antenna was cold after prolonged use and apparently presented a correct load to the amplifier when used.

In short, I would recommend this antenna for anyone using a stationary mobile or portable setup and who is looking for full-size performance on 10/12/15m (15m with the 12 model). In spite of having a higher wind resistance than a normal whip, its small size when collapsed makes it a viable option in many situations.

AD5X Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2003 14:00 Send this review to a friend
New MFJ Telescopic whips  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The new MFJ 10-foot and 12-foot telescopic whips are great for building your own portable antennas, or for extending the height of your screwdriver antenna when you are parked. I have one of each - though my preference is probably the 10-foot (MFJ-1954) due to its $10 lower cost. The 10-foot whip collapses to 20", and the 12-foot whip collapses to 24". They are very heavy duty, and come standard with the 3/8x24 mount.