Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | HAL DXP-38 Help

Reviews Summary for HAL DXP-38
HAL DXP-38 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $395.00
Description: The DXP-38 offers all of the features of the P38 plug-in card.
More info: http://www.halcomm.com

You can write your own review of the HAL DXP-38.

KA3YAN Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic device for CLOVER-II  Time owned: more than 12 months
As Jeremy, N1ZZZ stated in his review of the DXP-38, this really is a great device for RTTY and CLOVER-II. I have used the DXP-38 for PACTOR (known by HAL as P-Mode) and it performed just as well as any of the other PACTOR-1 modems that I've used (including the KAM+, KAM XL, & PK-232). My copy on RTTY was somewhat better with the DXP-38 than with the other modems.

The only mode of importance that this device lacks is HF 300bps Packet. Not a big deal since I have other modems that will perform this task. The DXP-38 really shines at what it WAS designed for, and that's CLOVER-II.

The DXP-38 was designed as a "budget" consumer modem and you can find them fairly frequently on eBay, QRZ.com, QTH.com, or eHam.net for very reasonable prices. HAL still unofficially supports the DXP-38 by providing the last issued firmware to users upon request. They also offer their DSPWin software free of charge.

One great thing about the CLOVER community is that its still active. You can find discussion and QSO SKEDs at the CLOVER_Mode Yahoo Group. You'll also find various CLOVER-II and CLOVER-2000 documentation in the group's archives.

N1ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2003 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Great MCP!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great MCP. I use it mostly for Clover, but it does great work on PACTOR and RTTY as well. I have even had a few AMTOR links without any problems. The tuning indicator is great in the FSK modes, but a bit cumbersome in Clover. The screen indicators are easy to use as well.

Clover is my favorite mode and is super fast when moving data and the QSO's are unique with their auto-over links. Moving pictures with this robust mode is a breeze. Most of the activity in this mode is 14.065.5 LSB where a few of us die-hards still have chats. There are also a few BBS' out there. One small point that some publications seem to get wrong time after time (including the Eham description): the DXP38 is not just a P38 in a box. The upper level Clover modulation schemes (8P4A & 16P4A) are not available on the P38 but are on the older boards and DXP38. This is due to a better chip set in the DXP38.

I use XPWare for Windows and EZTerm but the Hal Software works well also. The Hal Software also allows the DXP38 to act as a PTT circuit for soundcard modes, but I have never used it.

All and all, a 1st rate MCP and I highly recommend it.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2000 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent print, esp. good on weak signals  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my DXP38 at Dayton this year. I'm very pleased so far with both the unit itself, and the support from HAL. There was a problem in the firmware that shipped on my unit, and HAL was quick to reply and send a patched version to me. They had a refreshed version on their web site within a week. This is excellent response. The only negative I can think of, and it's really a nit, is that I'm not all that sold on their "+" shaped tuning indicator. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't work all that well for me. It gets me close, but then I must switch to the "centering" mode to zero in on the signal. The KAM-Plus that this TNC replaces seemed easier... But, regardless of that, the DXP38's real forte is its ability to copy signals that are down in the noise. It definitely beats the KAM in this regard (but, remember, for the same price the DXP38 is HF only). Another nice touch is that the centering tuning that I mentioned is available via software, so with either HAL's software, or XPWare, or WriteLog, there are tuning indicators available on the display window to make it easy to tune while watching the print. Connections are an RCA plug picnic compared to DIN plug wiring used by other TNC's. Modes are RTTY/ASCII, AMTOR, PACTOR, and Clover. I'd definitely make this purchase again. 73, Duane