Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage B-2516-G Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage B-2516-G
Mirage B-2516-G Reviews: 4 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $329
Description: 25W in 160W out 2 Meter VHF Amplifier w/ FM/SSB/CW Modes & GaAsFET Pre-Amplifier
More info: http://www.mirageamp.com/mirageamp/products.php?prodid=B-2518-G

You can write your own review of the Mirage B-2516-G.

K4GKJ Rating: 2/5 Apr 26, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Oh boy....another lesson  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine used. previous owner claimed to be original owner. Also claimed it was used very litte. Upon arrival, it appeared new, original packing and supplies. But the output was only 100 watts max. Worried about what I am up against in getting the other 60 out of it. Pre amp works okay. noise floor may be a bit higher than 1db, but didn't expect much from it anyway. It consumes 23 amps even at 100 watts (but consider I may have a fault in here drawing some of that).
I purchased it as I noticed many others using this amp for ARISS projects.... and I hope to do the same with it....if I have confidence in it that is. It is my hope to come back and modify this rating once I figure out the issue and get it resolved... if you don't see that happen by late summer of 2014, consider my opinion as it is now.

VK3WAC Rating: 0/5 May 28, 2007 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Never again!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 2516G secondhand and was warned good naturedly at the time that most 2516G's had some 'quirks' to them. Well, they were correct.

The soldering was atrocious, it trips at 16 watts input and it'll self key for no apparent reason.

It probably serves me right for not listening to my peers and I'll learn from my mistake. But I'll never buy anything from Mirage again.

N6HBJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2006 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Good performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this amp used. The overload protection does trip if the wattage goes over 25 watts - big deal. I use it constantly and have had no problems.

Mike

WA9ENA Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2004 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good amp with some quirks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my B-2516G since early 2001. It has served me well, but has some quirks to it. I have solved those, making it a very nice amp to use.

First, I read the manual when I got the amp and it said that idle current (amp keyed, but NO RF drive applied) should be about 0.7 amps, or 700 mils. My unit drew over 3.0 amps right from the factory! I called Mirage and confirmed that the manual info was correct, so I turned down the bias to achieve correct idling current. Anyone who has one of these amps and who fails to check their idle current runs the risk of toasting the finals because high idle = lots of wasted heat.

Next, over time, I have found that the VSWR protection trip and the input overdrive protection trip are just too sensitive and limit the amp. The manual says that it should withstand 40 watts of drive and 3:1 output VSWR. Mine would do neither. It was OK with 20 to 22 watts of drive, but would always trip out with 25 watts, which is a full 5 watts below recommended drive level. It did this in all modes. I found that the pots for both settings were factory set to the least sensitive position already, telling me that the circuit design lacked something called "range".

The drive problem has been corrected by changing the set part of the circuit from a 100k resistor to ground with a 2k pot (not much range there) to an 82k resistor to ground and a 10k pot. This is now OK for at least 30 watts of drive, which is spec. The only change I have made to the VSWR sensing circuit is to place a 2pf cap in parallel with the 62 ohm terminating resistor in the VSWR sense line. The schematic shows this cap, but it did not exist on my unit. Also, the manual talks about removing the cap if you want a more sensitive protection action! Well, not what I need or want. I sweep test all of my antennas and lines with an antenna analyzer and I know that the VSWR is very low. My amp had been tripping when VSWR went from about 1.15:1 to only about 1.2:1. What a nusance.

My amp delivers about 125 to 130 watts of output with 25 honest watts of drive. To me, that is plenty close to spec. With the quirks mentioned now fixed, I am very pleased with the amp and use it for all modes, but mostly SSB and a little CW. I used it on FM, as well, for Field Day and the extra power does make a difference. I gave it the 4 rating because I think that Mirage/MFJ should have done a better job of factory setting and they should also have designed the protection adjust circuits for better range adjust.