Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Magnetic Professional Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Magnetic Professional
Begali Magnetic Professional Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $248.00 + 9.50 s/h
Description: Magnetic iambic paddle with a metal oxide finish, using micro-threaded adjustments and precision bearings.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Magnetic Professional.

N0TA Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2006 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Superb, Precision Paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Serial Number #258

I ordered via the Internet, and received a confirmation email with an estimated delivery date. The key actually arrived a little sooner than predicted. It was packaged very well, and suffered no damage in the transatlantic shipment.

In addition to the key, the package included a feeler gauge to set contact spacing and spare screws for the wiring. Nice touch.

The paddle itself is an excellent design, built with precise machining. Finish is immaculate. I originally ordered several aluminum finger pieces and really liked the shorter version; however, my shack is in the basement and I found the aluminum was too cold. So, I ordered the plastic finger pieces -- they feel nice to the touch, but would prefer them to be a little shorter. (I'd really like to try some short, carbon fiber finger pieces!)

I continue to be extremely happy with this paddle -- I use it on a daily basis. I have two suggestions: 1. I would like a finer thread pitch on the contact screws for a little more precise spacing, and 2. I wish someone would make a dust cover and carrying case (like Vibroplex has for its keys).

N9YB Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2006 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Workmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, doing business with Sr. Begali is laid back and easy. You send an e-mail, you get a prompt reply.

After getting the paddle, I spent some "tuning" the adjustments to suit my taste. Those setting have held true for over a year.

The workmanship is top notch. Expert machining coupled with a flawless finish. You can tell by looking it over that there was a substantial amount of design effort and precision manufacturing effort put into this instrument.

I highly recommend this Begali model to anyone who loves CW. After acquiring the Magnetic Professional, I retired my Bencher of 19 years by passing it down to a newly licensed novice, who will better appreciate it.

I am looking forward to procuring my next Begali.

Best 73
mike
N9YB

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2006 06:16 Send this review to a friend
A treasure  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can't say enough good stuff about this paddle or the quality of customer service offered by Sr. Begali. The paddle is very finely crafted and the finish of the Professional is very understated and workmanlike - which is partly why I bought one in the first place. For some time I thought I had made a mistake, since the adjustments seemed to change with use. I found that it was a result of very heavy-fisted sending due to fighting my rig's internal keyer, and when I corrected that situation, the Begali was absolutely perfect. You just can't bang it around - once you discover how to caress it and treat it like the fine piece of work it is, CW at any speed becomes virtually effortless. Pietro Begali and his daughter (who does the English correspondence) are perfectly polite and interested in delighting the customer. I even got a Christmas card from them! I can't be more happy with my investment.

N1IV Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Precision machine work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the years, I have operated very little CW but really wanted to get back into it more. I had always wanted to buy one of these keys but never had the cash. My Bencher BY-1 did the job for the few CW contacts I made! After reading several reviews of several different keys, I was again driven towards Mr. Begali. I decided on the "Magnetic Professional" and Piero told me that they were "In Stock" and ready for immediate shipment, so I did it. It took about 12 days for it to arrive from Italy and I set it up immediately. What a beautiful piece of machine work... the attention to detail is incredible. It is smooth and accurate and has a feel that makes the Bencher feel very "Clunky"... if that's a word. My first contact with it was 3Y0X on 17 meters. Thanks Piero... keep up the great work!

GU4WTN Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Quality!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One word sums up this key - QUALITY

I was fortunate enough to meet Mr Begali at the Friedrichschafen show and try all of his wonderful keys.
For me the Magnetic Pro had the best bang per buck.
Compared to my 20 year old Bencher, this is on a different planet. Adjustable to whatever gap & tension required and it stays there. Very nice kit.
I would recommend it to anyone.
Buyers should be patient, this gentleman is running a small, precision engineering business not a massive automated production plant with thousands of employees. Yes it might take some time for the order to be processed or questions to be answered, but in the end it is all worth it!

Andy, GU4WTN

N7XM Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2005 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic quality!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Fantastic quality in construction and design!
Anything Begali makes is OUTSTANDING !

So far beyond the "Bencher" mentality that
words can not explain !

I have many paddles and this is MY favorite !

Robust precision construction with
creative functional design is a winning
combo !

Do you appreciate real quality in design
and construction , then try a BEGALI !

K5PU Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2004 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Incredibly nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Magnetic Professional a few days ago (sn #66). I know it's not considered useful to provide a review without having considerable experience with something but based on the construction and performance thus far I can safely say my assessment of this key will not likely change between now and years from now.

I won't go into the 'functional' details as this paddle is the same paddle as the magnetic classic. See those reviews for mechanical/performance details. As K2VCO mentioned it is identical except for the oxide finish. I was tired of constantly keeping my bencher chrome all nice & shiny and thought a gold plated paddle would be just as bothersome (if not more). As K3VCO also says it is more like a fine gun or tool in appearance. Asthetically I find it absolutely *gorgeous* and to be a perfect match to my K2.

Since everyone has pretty much covered the bases mechanically I thought my review would focus on another aspect of the Bengali Key: Ordering.

The Magnetic Pro was a Xmas gift to myself for concentrating on improving my CW. I ordered it online on Jan 29th, '04.

The online ordering process is is technically insecure. However, Pietro splits the order email into two parts, one with the CC number and one for the name/address/expiration date. Theoretically there isn't any way someone might put the two emails together but still I suppose ordering in such a manner is not for the faint of heart. I'm not that concerned about internet security as you always have the ability to dispute any unauthorized charges to a CC anyway. Heck, you take a greater risk handing your CC to an unknown waiter in a restaurant.

Thing is, I did not receive an email order confirmation and subsequent emails to Pietro went unanswered. It finally took me finding an acquaintance of his to contact him to figure out if my order had even been received. It turned out my order somehow ended up on his daughters computer. Took a few days/emails but everything got straightened out and thus the wait began.

A couple months later I inquired about the status. Again, emails went unanswered. After a couple tries I finally got a response. He promised my order had not dropped thru the cracks, that he was having trouble with one of his suppliers but it looked like the paddle would be shipped within the week.

OK, a couple/three weeks later and still no key. Again, it took a couple emails to get his attention and this time it was a problem with his coating vendor. However, this time he had it solved and said it would be shipping within the next few days. Sure enough about a week+ later (4/24) it finally arrived.

Even though it took a full 3 mos to get the paddle and I was somewhat 'uncertain' the whole time would I order from Pietro again? Now that I know how things work, Ubetcha! In fact, I am so impressed with the quality of his work & precise feel of the paddle I will probably order the Magnetic Traveller sometime in the future.

If I were rating this Paddle on a scale of 1 - 10 I would easily give it a 10+. But I would rate the ordering process a 7 or 8 only due to the rather 'clunky' nature of ordering and the resulting 'angst' the process seems to put one thru. I am not a rich person so a $275 charge for something like this is not an easy purchase decision (especially when confirming/getting status/etc. seems rather informal). Honestly tho, my angst most likely stemmed from not getting enough 'handholding' from the vendor. Truth be told, it's not Pietro's fault I needed comforting ;)

Bottom line, if you're contemplating a Bengali key go for it... you will not be disappointed. In the end Pietro is absolutely trustworthy and beyond reproach. Just trust the process. Yes, in my case it was a process somewhat filled with trepidation but it was definately worth it!

LA6UH Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2004 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Top notch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have been enjoying this masterpiece for more than one year now. Once adjusted it remains firm. No need for fiddling with it anymore. A very precise and professional tool indeed. Actually my order was for the "classic". I got the "prof" and fell for it. I found I could well manage without the shiny appearance. The alu fingerpieces adds more to my satisfaction.