Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MultiComm for MFJ Help

Reviews Summary for MultiComm for MFJ
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 1.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Discontined due to low sales
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the MultiComm for MFJ.

KE4MOB Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2002 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Dos ver is marginal, Win ver is GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok, the Dos version is marginal...not very user friendly, too many <CTRL> combos to remember, but the FAX program in the Dos version is really slick...it's about the only reason I still have it installed. The copy protection scheme is cheesy, at best. On setup, the install program moves a hidden file (called cycle.dbf if memory serves) from the install disks to the HD--and then moves it back to floppy on de-install. This type of protection works because hidden files aren't copied by normal DOS COPY *.* commands, therefore any copy won't be complete. The only reason I discovered it was that I always keep Windows Explorer set to show all files...one day I was browsing through my directories and came up on my C:\Multicom directory and noticed the hidden file.

The Windows version is much much better. Windows buttons instead of CTRL keystrokes! Need I say more?

NA4I Rating: 0/5 Jan 24, 2002 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Worthless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a nice WORTHLESS copy of this software with my old callsign embedded. I paid $59 for it years back and I should still be allowed to use it. However, MFJ wants another $16 plus shipping to correct a copy-protect scheme they slammed us with. So much for anymore MFJ purchases from this shack...

N4ZOU Rating: 0/5 Sep 12, 2001 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, I got stuck with this worse than Awful software and stuck with a bad Mighty Fine Junk 1278B almost allmode tnc. The TNC never did work properly even after several trips back to MFJ and the NO MATTER WHAT really means you are never going to get your money back on this trash. The software crashed 3 times while trying to load it and the counter ran out and that was the end of it. I keep the software on a shelf to remind me never to buy anything that has MFJ on it. I also ended up trashing the TNC. I then purchased a PK-232MBX and AEA software that worked very well for many years.

WB8NUT Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2001 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Confusion  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are two copies of the Multicomm software. The earlier version if for DOS and the next version to come along for Windows. Some of the complaints listed in the two previous reviews are about the DOS version (limited installs) that are not found in the Windows version. The Windows version works very well, and is very stable. I use it with the 1278B on packet, pactor and rtty. Although it is not sold anymore having been replaced by Multicomm Host.

W8WDX Rating: 0/5 Aug 16, 2001 12:37 Send this review to a friend
MFJ is Terrible  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the software when I purchased the 1278B. Upgraded license and change call sign and the packet software became unusable. MFJ wanted too much money to reprogram the disk. Will never buy from them again.

AA1QR Rating: 0/5 Jun 6, 2001 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Won't buy MFJ products again  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased Multicomm and hardware some time ago. It worked OK initially but a few drive crashes and computer changes later, the copy protection prevented me from loading the software again. I wrote to MFJ asking for help was basically ignored. Maybe they believe all hams are crooks and their software is the best thing since sliced bread but I'll pass on their copy protected products.

W6GDK Rating: 1/5 Oct 5, 2000 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Miserable Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is for the Dos version of Multi Mode Multicomm sold by MFJ as 1289. Problems:
1. Copy protected, can only install 3 times. You have to de-install to increment the counter. The de-install program is buggy and hangs up, thus decrementing the available install by 1.

2. If the color green was selected for a window or text color, it is shown in the ini file as the same character used to end the reading of the ini file. Thus, the program would quit reading the ini file prematurely and not start.

3. Bought the callsign imbedded version for $5.00 and sent in my original disks. Several weeks later the new disk arrived. Risky if lost in mail. However, the callsign embedded version is not copy protected.. If you change your callsign, however, the callsign used in the software cannot be change.

4. Dos only, lots of problems running in win 95 and Win 98.

Learned my lesson with this software from MFJ and won't buy anymore software ( or TNCs for that matter) from MFJ