Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund SP-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund SP-600
Hammarlund SP-600 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1,000 in 1952
Description: HF receiver covering 55 Khz to 54 Mhz.

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund SP-600.

FPX77 Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Nice receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a SP600JX21 from 1985 to 2002.Very good receiver,at this time it put on shame my Yaesu FRG7700! A station readable on the SP600 was only noise on the Yaesu!I have quickly sold the Yaesu!Only my ICR70 was able to compete with the SP600.Unfortunatly I sold this RX on 2002. Happily I got another one 3 weeks ago,a JX21 from a radio ham.It has been entirely recapped by the former owner,however suddenly the ranges 4 to 6 were dead.After washing the 3,5Mc crystal with alcohol all became OK.The sensitivity is great (I have put a 6BZ6 as 1st RF stage without any modification,for better signal noise ratio,and a 6AU6 for the BFO driver for higher injection level) this allow good SSB reception in AVC mode. The stability is good after warming up.It is a pleasure to sweep the bands as the tuning control is precise and soft.If I listen to hams I use a LS3 speaker,if I listen to broadcast I use a full range Philips speaker with an impedance transformer .I have others rigs (FRG7;ICR70;JRC NRD 525;D2999;Sat700) but my pleasure is to listen to the Hammarlund,the hams,pirates on 49m band etc..

KG8LB Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Super !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fine performance , easily maintained but GET THE BLACK BEAUTIES OUT ! I have owned quite a few of these gems and always impressed by them. Yes, the tuning layout is a bit different but familarizing yourself with the logging scale will help if you operate in specific areas . A digital display is easily fitted but I kind of like using the analog dial.
I used to tempt fate regarding the Black Beauty plastic caps ..not any more. We had just resurected a real nice SP-600. While sitting back enjoying some armchair copy , the signals suddenly began to fade and almost instantly there was a sizzle and pop. Before I could shut the radio down the RF went away. Turns out a shorted Black Beauty took out an IF can . It took very little time for this to happen. The bad Black Beauty was real easy to spot , it had split open like an over cooked hot dog.
Another heads up, the SP-600 needs an extra depth cabinet. Hammond make a real nice cabinet the works well and looks great filled with SP-600 !

K1VVT Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Used SP600 54yrs ago  Time owned: more than 12 months
1956 & 1957 used the SP-600 for Morse Intercept replaced by R390's in '57, In the highlands of Ethiopia, after discharge and many years later, found two from Army Mars and rebuilt one, replacing all the caps, still using it for listening and copying Morse in 2010.

IW5CI Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2010 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a real receiver. My sp-600 is the CIA version. It is completely original and still with the black beauties onboard but it works flawlessy.
The audio quality is incredible. Hooked to a Pioneer HI-FI speaker the BC stations sounds really good.
Even on SSB the reception is clear.
I hooked a digital frequency meter and now i know exactly the frequency where i AM.
The only problem of this radio is the weight... in it's box is like a battleship.

F6BGV Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 05:49 Send this review to a friend
BETTER AUDIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a SP-600 since a very long time.
I replaced all caps, except electrolytic and mica.
I thought it was better to install an audio section more in accordance with the quality of this famous former receiver, which will permit to get a very good sound !
I removed audio output transformer (T 7)and I replaced by another 6V6, with a new push-pull transformer (8000 CT/8) under the frame.
Then, I connected again V16A in preamplifier (Rk = 1k and Rp = 47k), straight connected to V16B as "phase-splitter" (Rk = Rp = 47k), and the two 6V6 in push-pull (Rk = 220/2W + 47 F/63V), and a negative feed-back (Rfb = 3,3k from 8 ohms).
- HT on plate 6V6's = from C161B
- HT on screen 6V6's = from C161C
- HT on V16B = from C161C
- HT on V16A = from V18

Like this, I got a very good listening quality of the broadcasts...

Best 73's

KB8QEN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2009 05:29 Send this review to a friend
WORLD Class Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Actually this is a very well made receiver. The only real component shotcoming is the Black Beauty caps that were, at the time thought to be excellent parts. Then again that was nearly SIXTY YEARS AGO ! Of course that IS a LONG time and by the hindsight of the inexperienced it may give cause for mis-judgement of this fine receiver. The same caps were thought at that time to be a huge improvement over paper caps and were used in many high quality radios. Even the highly regarded R-390A employed them. By now re-capping is pretty much normal maintenance and this receiver will reward it's owner with brilliant performance if they are endowed with the proper disciplines to bring it out.
Of course over a period of nearly SIXTY YEARS some of these fine old receivers may have been stored for extended periods in less than optimum environments . High heats in attics and dank damp basements in the Great White Northern reaches can take a toll on even the very best gear, causing corrsion on metallic bits and insulation breakdown. Not a problem for the real technician but it may magnify the shortcomings of the less capable.If you are a bit anal about such things, consider one of the "tropicized" versions. They were specially treated and coated to minmize the ravages of enviromental extremes . They are the ones with the yellowish coating on the chassis components.
This is a very stable, sensitive receiver and stood up with the best of it's day. The audio is quite good and for MW DXing it blows away most modern receivers no matter where they were made.Of course technology has made some leaps since then but this radio is still playing today, many of them without ANY real major repairs if at all. It's performance makes it still a viable tool for day to day use on the MW to HF spectrum. Don't get to carried away with all the "JX" jargon . They are all quite gosd regardless the suffix.
A tribute to the designers and skilled assemblers of it's time .

VE3PRI Rating: 2/5 Jul 26, 2009 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Poor Construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Came into possession of SP-600 J recently and discovered if this rig works its great, but the one I got had many bad caps and resistors, also found 3.5mhz oscillator had been modified and not working, and then when the radio was all together discovered a new fault cables to audio pot disintegrating, another big job here. Like I said its a great radio if it works, but overall it suffers from poor design mechanically for service procedures and poor quality caps and audio cable, not to mention the slug screw setup in the tuning turret. Surprised this radio is as valuable as it is because of these faults. If you have to do a restoration of this radio get ready for a lot of grief, and be careful to check it out thoroughly before buying one.

W0OGH Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2008 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Good looking radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own a -17 version of this radio. the audio transformer is shot and replacements are like hen's teeth. I liked the SX-28 for an unparalleled Classic radio in appearance. The Sp-600 here comes in a close 2nd though. Really attractive but the usual complaints exist. Where am i is the big one. However i have certain SWBC stations and ham AM spots that i operate on so i know where they are on the dial. Love the smooth tuning and fast movement across the spectrum. Not tried it on 6 meters yet but everything else works on the radio. Need to get the Audio tranny replaced, will use a 51J/R-388 collins audio transformer for that. Not worried about the AF power requirements as i'm not driving any "line" equipment anyway. And the Collins audio transformer will certainly handle all the audio i can take. Really do like this receiver. Big knobs, classic look.

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2007 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one of these overseas in the Air Force and then owned one myself for many years. It will always be THE radio of all time for me. Most of us in the military preferred the Hammarlund over the Collins R390 (slight edge). There were very few signals that the SP600 couldn't squeeze out of the murk. 22 tubes helped keep the shack warm, too. It was everything one could want in a receiver. To find any fault with it would be petty on my part, just don't ask me to carry it up or down stairs anymore.

K9EUI Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2007 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Great band cruiser  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sadly had to get rid of my SP-600 (I think it was a JX-13). But I needed the room. It was probably the most stable vintage receiver I ever owned (except for perhaps the Drake 2-B). I called it my band cruiser since one could tune a wide range quickly - but this was also a disadvantage. It would have been nice if the number of band were increased to give each one more bandspread. The audio response could have been better but for casual listening it was OK.
AS I have done on other vintage receivers, I replaced one stage in it (I think it was an IF output cathode follower) with a 6BE6 as a product detector. This allowed much improved CW/SSB operation and s-meter use without having to reduce the RF gain. I'd love to find another one of these.