Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker
SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: A remote speaker that contains the SGC ADSP-2 digital signal processing board and small amplifier. Requires 12 vdc. Switch selectable, provides 13 db and 26 db noise rejection and 50-65 db tone (carrier) rejection. Inserts a 6.5 to 13 msec delay. Size approx. 7" wide, 3" high, 3" deep. Pulls 110 to 500 ma depending on signal.
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/store.htm

You can write your own review of the SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2015 19:55 Send this review to a friend
The newest model is very good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently traded my older unit for a latest model with the extra button for band width selection and am happy with the unit. The newer one actually has a bit better audio than my old one and now I have the bandwidth option as well. It does a good job of eliminating noise and qrm. The newer model has a headphone jack in the rear, and I can plug my regular station speaker into it for even better audio quality.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2012 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Audio a bit tinny, but it wipes out carriers and qrm and static  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Ihave an older model without the bandwidth selection button. The audio is a bit tinny, but it does a fine job of getting rid of qrm, static and carriers. I use mine on my Elecraft K2 when I operate it in the shack. It takes care of the qrm/static quite well. The Elecraft DSP board is a bit expensive, and the SGC speaker does a creditable job. The notch filter/delay also lets you use it on CW without filtering out the CW signal, but still gets rid of qrm and constant carriers. That's a good feature. The only downside with the K2 is that the SGC speaker draws more current than the K2 does on receive, so I don't take the SGC speaker with me when I operate portable with the K2 as it would drain a battery too quickly. But in the shack, on a DC power supply it's no problem. Combined with the oustanding K2 receiver, it'a a very handy addition to the shack. I have considered buying the high powered circuit board only model and installing it in a better quality speaker to improve the audio over the small SGC speaker. That would be the best of both worlds.

HFHAM2 Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Versatile and works FB  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the most versatile of the DSP noise reduction speakers that I know of. In addition to two levels of DSP noise reduction, it has 3 excellent "brick-wall" DSP bandwidth filters (a 1.8 KHz SSB filter, a 500 Hz CW filter and a 100 Hz CW Filter).

The first level of noise reduction is near perfect. The second level can be a bit over the top for SSB (can make voices sound "watery" at times); great for listening to a CW note surrounded by silence though.

Another reviewer said "the 500Hz and 100Hz (filters) are pretty much useless though". What!? I guess he must not be a CW op as I think those CW filters are excellent (as is the 1.8 KHz SSB filter).

So! If you don't have an all singing, all dancing DSP rig, you can either buy *one* accessory crystal bandwidth filter, or, for the same money (or less) you can have all of the above.

HFCRUSR Rating: 2/5 May 28, 2011 10:22 Send this review to a friend
audio too tinny-weaker stations too pixally  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used mine about 7 times-it sits in the radio closet doing nothing now. Why? Annoying tinny audio! No fidelity-all the mid and base is void. My use was mainly SWL broadcast. While it did filter QRM nicely in the 13dB setting, the problem became the processor "pixellating" the audio, thus re-introducing some QRM back into the audio. I couldn't take it anymore and badly missed the fidelity of my r71a's audio. The tradeoff was not worth $160 IMO. Plus, the speaker within this unit quit on me the 2nd use! I was plugging in other speakers to the phone jack there on out. I fyou can take the ear piercing high pitched audio, go for it.

WB4BYQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have four of the speakers and 1 internal board installed in a Yeasu FT-101ZD. Would not run a station without one.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2009 16:17 Send this review to a friend
GOOD FOR NEW AND OLDER TRANCEIVERS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE HAD MY SGC ADSP-2 FOR A YEAR NOW.

IT WORKS OUTSTANDING.

IT KNOCKS THE QRM OFF OF THE SIDE OF YOU ON SSB.

I USE MINE ALOT WITH MY ELECRAFT K1 ON CW.

IT WILL COMPLIMENT YOUR RIGS FILTERING EVEN IF DSP.

I USE IT WITH MY ICOM IC-7000 AND MY YAESU FT-897D.

I TAKE CARE OF MY AMATEUR RADIO GEAR.

PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT ITS DELICATE ARE RIGHT IF YOU ARE GOING TO THROW IT AROUND.

I FIND THAT IT WORKS WELL AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYONE WITHOUT NOISE FILTERING.

CHUCK, N4UED

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This works better than the IC-706MKIIG, IC-746, TS-480 or TS-570(G)radios DSP ever worked. I use this with my TS-850 and plug my SP-230 speaker into the SGC's headphone jack and it sounds great. The 1st level DSP setting is perfect and the second level setting although a bit much, is useful for monitoring during noisy conditions. The 1800Hz Filter is nice for crowded conditions, the 500Hz and 100Hz are pretty much useless though. I am pleased with this product and the price is very reasonable. It really makes listening a pleasure and cleans things up really well. If it only had a Potty Mouth Filter to clean up 80 Meters...Hi Hi

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2009 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well you need to buy to believe. I have been given this speaker as a gift from a good friend and I have to say that I was a bit skeptic because I had tested external DSP units and was never real happy with the results. This speaker does make a difference. I can't understand people that give the speaker a low evaluation due to a personal mistake, you can't blame the manufacturer for some personal issue.
Buy it and you won't regret it.

N6KP Rating: 2/5 May 25, 2008 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Good audio, poor power connectors  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the ADSP2 unit for about 2 years. Worked fine on home station. Does everything other reviewers say it does. However when I went to connect it up at the vacation cabin I inadvertenly switch the B+ and ground. No power to unit but green lights came on. (No red to indicate power). Took unit apart looking for a fuse and found none!
SGC web site says "the unit itself is protected against power reversal, so there will be no harm if it is connected backwards inadvertently".
Not true! Unit is now in the trash so beware of a manufactuer who skimps on a simple fuse.

K7WFR Rating: 1/5 Oct 13, 2007 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I looked around for some ADSP processor for my kenwood TS-450S. I bought one of these used on ebay that ended up having "used" issues and then I bought a new one from AES to give it another chance. After having it now for several months, I can say that for my normal application of listening to stations near my noise level, I would not buy another one.
The audio quality that comes out of this unit is terrible. The delay feedback that can be heard in the audio is absolutely terrible and should not be there in the first place. It makes it very difficult to understand the words.
Also, after unkeying the transmitter, the ADSP-2 does not recover fast enough and it is very easy to miss a complete sentence if someone is replying back.
I would not recommend this unit to anyone that wants any quality in their DSP processing. And, to be fair, I have not compared it to any other equipment and my comments are based on it's own standing. It just certainly does not work well enough for my needs.