Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker
SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: A remote speaker that contains the SGC ADSP-2 digital signal processing board and small amplifier. Requires 12 vdc. Switch selectable, provides 13 db and 26 db noise rejection and 50-65 db tone (carrier) rejection. Inserts a 6.5 to 13 msec delay. Size approx. 7" wide, 3" high, 3" deep. Pulls 110 to 500 ma depending on signal.
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/store.htm

You can write your own review of the SGC ADSP-2 Signal Processing Remote Speaker.

KC0PET Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Outboard DSP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The latest version has both bandwidth and noise reduction - good job SGC. Just plug into speaker jack and provide 12V - very easy.

While not as effective as integrated IF DSP, for any rig without DSP or other filtering options, it really makes a difference.

K6USN Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2007 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Good, but Tech Support Poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ADSP2 works as advertised - takes a big bite out of S-8 power line QRN locally in the shack. I have not tried it mobile.

Some observations:
a) It won't work right with a Heil Traveler
headset/mike plugged into the accessory speaker
socket on the back (feedback on transmit)
b) The unit comes with absolutely NO product specs or literature! Just a plain white box. One has to guess what it does and how it works unless you pick up an advdertising promotional flyer when you buy it.
c) SGC tech support is useless. First, they don't take telephone calls. Secondly, they are 'closed' Fridays. Thirdly, when they finally get around to answering your e mail query, the answers are simplistic ("wrap the headset in aluminum foil to see if it takes out the feedback").

Bottom line: I will keep the product, as it works well, but don't expect any support from SGC
if you have issues. This is why I give it a 4.

Allen
K6USN

NS6Y_ Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2006 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Not milspec  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one for a while to play with, it had problems so I got it cheap..... electrically, it does "do" things to the signal, some of which make it nicer to listen to. Physically, this is not a milspec unit. It's not even cop-spec. The circuit out of one of these mounted carefully into a cop-spec speaker could be a really good thing for mobile. Look at swapmeets for something roomy with a little blue "M" on it....

Ths problems the one I had were all physical, the case eventually cracks where the mounting screws are, and the pressed-in nuts inth the sides of the case eventually wander out. I believe this had been used mobile. There's no reason this has to fail in this way.

You might be able to pre-empt this kind of damage, take it apart and get some kind of threaded thingies with a flange, that can go into (possibly enlarged) holes. You might want to consider a thin and large washer in there to better spread the force. Then use screws that fit your newer, larger, threaded thingies - I'm almost certain you'll end up going a size larger at least. You might want to also look around inside and see if anything needs shock-mounting (globs of RTV hehe).

Very interesting and popular product though!

VA7TW Rating: 1/5 Sep 27, 2006 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Great at first ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the SGC ADSP-2 speaker almost two years ago. From my appartment with a buddipole hanging off the balcony, it was like night and day ... without it HF radio was impossible, with it everything was clear and audible. I didn't even bother with the built-in DSP of the Yaesu FT-857.

Then I installed it mobile ...

After about a year of being in the car, the sound quality gradually deccreased to a point where the speaker is completely useless and unbearable to listent-to.

I'm out of the warranty period so I contacted SGC about getting just the speaker replaced (all the electronics are working great), and they suggested I just by a brand new unit off the shelf!

So now I'm just going to rip out the insides and use the circuit with a $30 comm speaker (designed for mobile use).

From talking with others with similar problems with this speaker in a mobile installation, it would seem possible that the speaker SGC uses is somewhat heat sensitive, so if you intend to use it mobile you should pull the speaker out when you leave the car.

PS: I noticed that SGC no longer accepts phone calls to speak to techs, they want everything done by email. Not the most time-efficient method if you ask me.

73 de Marc VA3YTR

K5ADF Rating: 2/5 Sep 3, 2006 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Questionable Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike the other reviewers, I have not owned a ClearSpeach speaker. I bought the adsp2 and installed it in my pickup for the IC706MKIIG audio. It worked fine for a little over one year and then it totally died. I received no sound at all. I contacted SGC and they offered to repair it for a fee but I did not take them up on the offer. Instead I replaced it with a RadioShack speaker and used the IC706MKIIG DSP, which is working fine. I really did not need the adsp2.

The other problem with the adsp2 is the lack of an on/off switch. This in my opinion is a strong deficiency in the speaker. The 12VDC output of the radio was already being used by the antenna controller (High Sierra 1800 with an Am-com controller). A simple on/off switch would have made it a much better product.

Anyone want a non-functioning adsp2?

N7XQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2006 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can only discribe this little speaker as Excellent! I have owned it now for about 3 months and it really does work as advertised. I had owned a Clearspeech several years ago and I will say that the ADSP2 is a much better product. My #1 and only gripe would be " Where is the On - off switch ?" Gezz, it could not cost very much to put one in, while I hate drilling holes in new equipment, this one is the exception

KA4SSH Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2006 04:08 Send this review to a friend
JUST INSTALL AND THE STATIC IS GONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I OWN A "CLEAR SPEECH BASE" AND THAT LITTLE ITEM WAS A GREAT MADE BY AM-COM INC{OUT OF BUSSINESS} I BOUGHT A ADSP-2 SPEAKER - AND FOUND THIS TO BE EVEN BETTER! CUTS OUT ABOUT 80 TO 90% OF ALL THE BACK GROUND NOISE - HOPE THEY STAY AROUND THIS IS A GREAT LITTLE SPEAKER AND WORTH THE PRICE VERY CONPACT- THANK'S TO THEM- NEED MORE PRODUCTS LIKE THIS SPEAKER..

K7UNZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2005 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This unit is apparantly listed in two places. Here, and also under "filters, audio: DSP....".

Please check the other listing for my review, as well as those of other users.

Oh, yes, I also have a Heil Clearspeach speaker, and there is just no comparison. This little unit wins hands down.

In fact, I'm ordering another next week!

Jim/k7unz

KB7RGT Rating: 2/5 Dec 16, 2005 11:33 Send this review to a friend
What were they thinking?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't imagine the committee process by which SGC came up with the final design of this speaker.

First the positives: small size, good audio quality (unfiltered & un-DSP'd), metal enclosure.

Next the negatives: 1. Because of the control buttons on the top, one cannot mount the speaker under something as the mounting bracket doesn't allow room for fingers. 2. The filters are totally useless. Any use at any level entirely wipes out both strong and weak signals. 3. The DSP is almost totally useless. The first level wipes out all weak signals. It does remove background noise however. At the second level (highest) it makes strong signals (S9+) unintelligible. 4. At this price level (and since it requires 12v.) it should be amplified with a volume adjustment.

So one is left with a good sounding basic speaker... for $120?! I believe I will return it.

W0DKM Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2005 18:33 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD heavy duty  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very Good. I have Clearspeech speakers, and Bases. All very Good!
I put a Gap Hearit Speaker in the van with a FT840. I must of had a bad one. Not happy with the Gap. Lots of cracking and popping.

SO, I just bought the SGC Speaker. Pleased as Punch!! Works 100%. The switches are easy to use.
Clear as a Bell!!

And she's the lowest priced.

Again, buy IT, You'll like IT.