Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2KFX Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2KFX
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2KFX Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1400.00
Description: 2KW linear amplifier for HF and 6m (1KW out on 6m)
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp/amateur/hf.htm#2kfx

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2KFX.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2005 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a Rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a solid amp. It is well made and it loafs along effortlessly at around 1KW out. It can do more, but I don't push it. The 6 meter band is a nice bonus. I run it at around 500 to 600 W out on 6M. Being a no-tune solid state amp makes it easy to change frequency quickly and without the hassle of tuning up. This amp is indeed expensive, but when you take a look inside you can see why it costs more than other discount brand solid state amps (like Ameritron). Overall, this is another great product from Tokyo Hy-Power and no one is better to deal with than Nobuki. He is a true gentleman and you can tell that he is passionate about ham radio. It's nice when the vendor shares your passion. The HL-2KFX is a real winner.

DJ7MGQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2005 14:32 Send this review to a friend
First impression, very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had mine for a month now.

Has worked well up to now and makes every impression of doing so in the future.

EA3AKP Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2004 04:33 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my HL-2KFX a month ago,the service from Japan is excellent.The manual and the explanation to mount the power supply is very clear and easy to follow.
Now,it works great,real 1KW out with 65 to 70 W input, mesurements done with a professional Bird wattmeter.I do not use my tube amplifier now,because it's so easy to turn on and go for it...
The protections are really good I have test it and the multimeters are giving you all time reading of the Forward and reflected power so you know if the antenna system is working properly.
I recomend this amp. to someone who wants power with no problem and easy to use equipment.
I work a lot on the bands so if something happen I will display here.
Mr. Nobuki was always very kind and cooperative.Thanks.
73.EA3AKP.JOAN.

NM3E Rating: 3/5 Feb 20, 2004 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp BUT Quality control needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wired the money to THP on Wednseday got the Amp on Monday, 5 day trun around from Japan, and that includes the weekend. GREAT SERVICE!!! I was unprepared - still working on wiring the shack with 220VAC.
Hooked the amp up and NO OUTPUT. Started swapping email with Nobuki san. He speaks and writes outstanding English. Ran through every thing in the manual. Had me doing live testing - no output. After about 24 hours of this Nobuki san called me from Japan and we talked more. He promissed contact again next day since it was Sunday there again GREAT SERVICE!!!
Less then a day later another email asking me to check inside of Low pass filter. When I opened up the filter enclosure the band switch connector was no where to be found. It was stuck down under the power supply. It seems when these are bench tested they use an auto band switch so when the input changes bands so does the HL-2KFX.
I emailed Nobuki san with the results and he explained the above testing. I told him I was worried about the MOS FETS being driven hard into an open circuit since THE PROTECTION CURCITS ARE AFTER THE LOW PASS FILTER. He offered a replacement at no cost. I checked the output and it seems ok. I will let you know through a follow up in a few months.
I would buy from them again but I would open it up and check everything BEFORE powering up since the testing in JAPAN is not done on a completed unit. ANy questions call me 610-207-4865 Tim NM3E