Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Xpwin Help

Reviews Summary for Xpwin
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/348

You can write your own review of the Xpwin.

K7LRB Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Simply outstanding after all these years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, here it is, 12 years after the last 'review' was posted for XPWin. After all these years, there is STILL no better program for Pactor rag chewing. Yes, you have to run it in WinXP, but NO, you don't have to set up some 'old', standalone pc with WinXP on it to run XPWin.

All ya gotta do is run a virtual program (my personal favorite is VMWare Player) then load WinXP as a 'guest' OS. Then run XPWin just like we did 'back in the day'. XPWin works just like it ALWAYS did, flawlessly.

Yes, it would be nice if there were a 'modern' program for Pactor that would run under Win7 and up, but there AIN'T, at least not that I have found. I'm convinced that Pactor is STILL the best digi rag chewing mode out there, and XPWin is hard to beat for ease of, well, rag chewing.

Anyway, there seems to be a bit of a 'resurgence' of this wonderful mode. Come join us, you'll be glad you did!

As always, have FUN with ham radio es 73,
de Larry

PIETROEXK3PD Rating: 2/5 Nov 22, 2003 14:11 Send this review to a friend
XPwin is not for winXP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Should change the name. It will not communicate with my com port 6 and my KAM XL. Strange because my DX4WIN communicates with the KAM XL and WIN XP on the same port. Read the other reviews about the lack of support for users with multiple com ports and Windows XP. I had to uninstall it within 2 days because it would never work. Reinstallation gave the same results.

AC5AA Rating: 3/5 Jan 18, 2002 00:25 Send this review to a friend
Don't use with WinXP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used and enjoyed XPWin for three years with my HAL DXP38, but recently upgraded to WindowsXP. It no longer works because it can't communicate to the COM port correctly in WinXP (this is not a common problem - all my other loggers, etc., work fine on the COM ports.) The author's response to my request for help was that he was not going to fix it. Now I'm looking for a good replacement, which will be my 4th software package for TNC's. Sigh...

AA7IH Rating: 2/5 Dec 21, 2001 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Not a Keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I down-loaded an evaluation copy of XPWIN from the internet. In the coarse of running this software through itís paces, I have decided XPWIN is not a keeper. I have tried this software only in the CW and RTTY modes.

The display shows received text in lower case, transmitted text in upper case. It is possible to adjust my PK900 to output only upper case characters but XPWIN converts this upper case to lower case. There may be some option that I can set to prevent this but I canít find it in the meager XPWIN manual. Upper case, Lower case, why are they important? If I highlight a call with the mouse, it is, of course, in lower case if I then tell XPWIN that this is a call, it opens a log page with the selected call but this Log call is converted upper case. If in the coarse of a contest I select from the screen, a call that I have already worked, XPWIN will not recognize that this call is already in the log because it is comparing a lower case string against an upper case string. It is possible to manually type a call and do the compare correctly, but this takes time and why should I have to?

The editor for the log page is very tricky. If one types in a state, it may be displayed in the state box on the screen but after the entry has been saved, the state will not appear in the log file. And, while we are on the subject of the Log File, I could find no provisions for printing it out. There may be a way but I couldnít find it in the manual or by playing with the various buttons.

A packet user may not think my gripes important and they may be right. XPWIN has a lot of nice features but I need software for contesting. If at the end of a contest, I have no usable log, what have I been doing all weekend? Several colorful phrases come to mind.

If I have to part with bucks for software, my money is going elsewhere.

Ray, AA7IH

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2001 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Works the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried the xpwin and love it. I must say I still use dos more than windows. And I still use gary's Dos version. But So Far it has worked Flawless, and Very Easy to use. I highly recomment it. And Price well. You will not be sorry for this.

W6LAR Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2000 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Looks like A Winner!  Time owned: unknown months
So far after downloading XPWindows, I can't find anything to complain about other that the typical learning curve. I run two TNC's at the same time and both in different modes, a PK900 and a P38 Clover board. XPwin handles everythng easily. I can make an instant change form mode to mode in a mouse click. It was easy to install and to get running. The download is a full feature version with only a counter on how many time you load and run the program. You have 100 times before it won't fly again, but you can just re-install it and do another 100 but I don't really recommend that. !00 tries and you should be able to tell if you want to support the porgrammer. Give it a try. Blows the "Golds" away!