Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 382 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

K6EIE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2016 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Ham Radio Deluxe and Support Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ham Radio Deluxe is an amazing suite of integrated radio control and ham station operating programs and applications, covering all the functions necessary for "playing radio," both for the casual operator, DX'er and the contester. The HRD and DM-780 suite is ever-so-much more than a mere logging program. In addition to both automatic and manual logging, the program suite also provides for detailed award tracking, radio control, DX Cluster frequency/QTH access with automatic QSY via a mouse click, rotator direction control, world map headings with gray line, and much more. I used the free HRD Version 5 until the International DX Convention in Visalia in 2012, when I purchased Version 6. I have since updated to the current release, Version 6.3.0.555. My radio is a Kenwood TS 590S. I am very pleased with the HRD product and with their Support Service.
Though an old man (76), I am a relatively new ham (licensed 2011), and not terribly computer literate. While there is certainly a significant learning curve associated with becoming proficient with HRD and DM-780, time and diligence will pay big dividends in operating pleasure.
Recently Microsoft attempted to "jam" Windows 10 into my Lenovo computer, resulting in its becoming totally inoperative. My IT guy was able to restore computer operation and files, but all my programs, including HRD and its formatting, were lost, as was I. I contacted HRD Support (Tim KB3NPH), and explained my dilemma. Tim assured me that I was not the only person with the same or a similar problem. He explained that, in addition to the Windows 10 problemn, the repeated HRD updates being installed and reinstalled in computers, without completely uninstalling previous HRD versions, caused residual "trash" to be frequently left in the machines. He has developed an "HRD Periodic Housekeeping" multi-step procedure to rid the computers of all the residual HRD fragments from earlier versions and perform a clean install of the current version. Tim then assisted me in restoring the HRD files from backup. The result is fast and trouble-free operation of Ham Radio Deluxe and my radio station, as it should be.
Tim also explained many of the features of the HRD and DM-780 suite of which I was not previously aware.
I cannot imagine operating my station without Ham Radio Deluxe!

WO2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Love the Logbook and DM780  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using HRD Logbook and DM780 with DDUtil and my Flex 6700. I've been using HRD Logbook and DM780 with the Flex for years, going back to the free 5.x version. I love the award tracking in the logbook.

Had an issue with the newest (6.3.0.555) version when clicking a CW spot in the cluster. Received a call tonight from the owner who worked with me and he found a bug in the code. He sent me a new version to test and all is good again.

Using DDUtil with SmartSDR CAT it emulates HRD TCP/IP server and allows using HRD Logbook and DM780 without the need to run the main HRD program. This allows seamless integration of the various software and hardware in the shack. Makes operating a piece of cake.

It is nice to see HRD respond and fix the problem quickly. They had a "bump" in support but they are moving in the right direction.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2016 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Re-Review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Took a little while but I have the "bugs" worked out of the installation. The bugs were mostly my own doing truth be told.

The more I use HRD the more I not only like it, but the more indispensible I find it. The features are all there - than then some. Just takes a bit of time to take it all in - just like a new transciever.

I do back up my data regularly for my piece of mind. Haven't had to restore my log (yet) but knowing I can has increased my enjoyment of the program.

Give it a try!

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2016 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Indispensable Operating Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ham Radio Deluxe is simply the best "wingman" operating aide to guide and enhance your on-air enjoyment... from user-friendly logging to award tracking, offering digital modes from CW decoding PSK to slow scan TV and out-of-this world satellite tracking! It's a program for the casual operator as well as the serious contester. You'll grow into it over time! Interested in remote operation from a vacation spot or second QTH? HRD has it and more.

Moreover, the software programmers are constantly updating and improving what is already an indispensable operating program.

As with most new software sometimes we require a little guidance from the technical support staff to fine-tune the program for your particular station configuration. Here too, the staff at HRD excels in providing the best online support via a free downloadable "TeamViewer" application available on their website which enables the HRD staff to remotely configure your computer for optimum HRD performance and/or resolve any technical difficulties in the set up.. My experience with tech support Tim, KB3NPH has consistently exceeded my expectations in quickly resolving performance questions... most of which resulted from operator error!

W0DT Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2016 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used HRD for years, running free version and now paid.Run this program on kenwood 590 480 and 2000
I read many yaesu 991 users have trouble. Yaesu has many other problems with that version of radio.
Anyway my radios run perfect with HRD
W0DT

NY7Q Rating: 0/5 Jun 24, 2016 07:41 Send this review to a friend
it sucks big time  Time owned: more than 12 months
used it since the beginning. took it off my system forever.

K8JHD Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2016 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Best thing going -Worth the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had it since 2011, really Good program, really good support from Tim. It has some bugs but what program doesnt, regular upgrades and improvements and it beats anything else.
I used the free version for a while and decided to support the cause by paying for the full version, it was definitely worth it !!

K1YPB Rating: 0/5 Jun 22, 2016 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Very arrogant support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with KJ4EOZ, the support for this product is poor, and somewhat less than what one would expect when having to pay what you have to pay for this product. I too have an FT-991, and after down loading the latest version of the product found that many functions for the FT-991 did not work or did not work properly. When I opened a work order with them, they quickly and arrogantly blamed Yaesu (as KJ4EOZ stated). They said they couldn't do anything about it, and could not say when their "bugs" would be corrected. They obviously did not make an effort to test the product on a FT-991. Putting an expensive product on the market without testing it is not right. I thought it was me, but then when I read this last review, it seems that this seems to be the mode of operation for this crew of computer aficionados. Simon the creator of the product was very polite and accommodating. Attitudes like that of the new owners was entirely not expected and is very disappointing! I cannot and do not recommend this product.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 1/5 Jun 22, 2016 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Not good anymore  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The guys running things are very rude and unwilling to really help . They like to blame it on everything but their software . Every 2 week they come out with updates saying they have fixed this and that . Nothing has been fixed . They say they support the Yaseu FT991 but only maybe 70% .
When I open a ticket for my FT991 1st I was told its Yaseu is who to blame then come to find out they don't even have a FT991 in hand to test with . I waited and waited then ask on the HRD facebook page if things will be fix soon and they blocked me from the facebook page . I was not nasty or anything . Just asked . What's up with them ? If it was still free I would not care But I'm paying for this . software could be great but not like this . If you have a older radio you should be ok but a new radio stay away for now till they get things together if that ever happens . Good luck guys

AB6CC Rating: 2/5 Jun 8, 2016 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Blah  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Even after downloading a new improved version to which Customer Service had referred me, it still crashes at times on my FT-450D. Now, there may well be a trick to manipulating the various adjustments, but after a year of use I haven't found the ideal formula.
The company really isn't trustworthy: at first I was directed to a list of three supported control cables(USB). After it appeared that Windows 7 has issues with the new drivers(per RT Systems), the updated pdf from HRD was altered to exclude RTS cables from the recommended control cable list.
So...HRD blames the cable...the cable manufacturer blames the software....blah blah blah blah blah, and we're stuck in the middle.