Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 356 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KZ2A Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 07:41 Send this review to a friend
HRD Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great Program!, Tech support excellent. I highly recommend
purchasing the HRD software.

N4JLR Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
HRD is a well integated Software Suite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started using the older 5.24 version of HRD and have only used it about a week. The older unsupported version worked great with my IC-756ProII and connected fine with cables I bought from a UK Ham. You need to be careful that you get the cables that are specified. After using the older free version I wanted to try their current version and installed version 6.2 in my Windows 8.1 system and it had several issues, one being it would not connect to my radio. I called customer support at HRD and Tim, KB3NPH, remotely accessed my PC and straightened out some configuration items that were not necessary configure in the earlier version. It is working fine now. The logbook is great, it fills out all necessary data from a QRZ lookup as the source that I use, and the program is well integrated into all the different program modules. There is the logbook, then the Rig-Control program which is really kewl since you can see and change frequencies, bands, and every option that is available on your radio. It seems to support a plethora of Radios. Then there is the Digital Master 780 module for all the digital modes, it has a great waterfall display to see the signals, but I have only used the PSK-31 option. The great thing about this program is the fact that all the modules are well integrated. On the DM780 screen, I can interface with the logbook, and also the Rig Control, as well as check my soundcard settings. From the logbook module I can also interface all the other modules. It has SSTV capability and many other modes. I have really not found any digital mode it does not have. There are lots of Macros when using PSK-31, so all you have to do when you hear someone call CQ is put their CallSign in the correct field and it automatically looks up the call, knows the persons name, qth etc. and when you use the macros, it inserts his call, name etc. as well as my own information which is already in the system when you configure it so it inserts the right info in the right places when calling or answering a CQ as well as the body of a QSO.
The Macros make life really easy, but takes getting used to. My hardest task is trying to communicate with many users that are experienced, which means fast! I feel I have lost contacts due to my slow response but will get better as I get more used to PSK-31 procedures as well as HRD itself. I also love having the DX cluster log and display. If you see a DX station you want, just click on the frequency he is on and your radio tunes the that frequency. If he is on another band, it will even switch bands!. Of course an automatic antenna tuner is a great help when doing this. I will update this later after I use the software suite for more than the week I have had it. Bottom line is it is a very very powerful, well integrated software suite that takes advantage of today's CAT radio interfaces and digital modes. Of course it can be used just as a logging program and is powerful in that use alone.

WA3ERQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2014 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works fantastic. If/when a problem arises, the support staff is quick to respond.

KB3ZNL Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2014 08:37 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC PROGRAM & GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I pick HRD as the best of the control/digital software. Have used it for 18 months for both rig control, digital, and logging. Really like it!
This is a big, complicated, and expensive set of applications but it works really good. Best of all is the direct and personal customer support they give. Well worth the money!

KQ6DV Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2014 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Intensive Program, Great Support. Not great for contesting.  Time owned: more than 12 months
HRD is a very intensive program, and I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do after over a year of using the paid version. I recently retired and began wading back into Amateur Radio after a decade of relative inactivity. I have found HRD support to be wonderful, even when unable to resolve an expectation. I have always found the support staff to be friendly, patient, and attentive.

I really love the ability to customize the logging layouts to suit my specifications. HRD is great for logging regular contacts, but I wrestle with the contest mode and some of its quirks. I am still waiting for one of the bugs I reported a year ago to be fixed: it enters the exchange information in the wrong fields when using the convenient contest box and entering the exchange elements separated by the space bar. This would be GREAT if it worked, but I've had to instead enter the exchange information in the individual fields myself. This goes very quickly using the Tab key, but it would still be preferable to have the contest entry box working. There also seems to be some lack of "sync" between the contest entry mode and the normal mode, creating difficulties in editing a contact. I am a lightweight contester, but I enjoy participating and I'd like to see HRD devote more energy to the contest logging aspect of the software. I suspect a serious contester would be very irritated with the quirks in the program.

Nevertheless I intend to stick with HRD and grow into the program as it has so much to offer and I love the support experience.

AB4D Rating: 3/5 Dec 7, 2014 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Still a few glitches  Time owned: more than 12 months
This past September, I finished my first year of using Ham Radio Deluxe (the paid Version 6.0+) as my primary ham radio software suite. I wish I was able to write a glowing review in support of this program. However, my first year experience with this program has not been perfect. During the limited times I have used the radio control program, it seemed to work ok to the degree that it works as intended. I can say the same thing about DM780. During the few times that I have used it to make a few digital PSK-31 contacts, it seemed to work fine.

My main problems with HRD has always been with the finicky logging program. The logging program has been a source of irritation for me. The program constantly throws "Improper Argument" or "HRD has quit responding errors" and locks up for reasons I can't seem to pin down. Each time the program has to be restarted. I've experience other issues with the program as well. Sometimes, the program seems to forget your location, and HRD will show your location in the center of the country. The result is the beam heading function loses all accuracy.

Another issue I've experienced, when working as a contest station, HRD lost track of time for each contact while I was quickly logging, and posted the exact same time to multiple but different contacts. Luckily, I was able to sort out the logging mess that was created by HRD.

Launching multiple ALE windows will occasionally also cause a fault, and the program will stop responding as well. During the first year I was eligible for paid support. I contacted HRD support for assistance with the location issue I was experiencing. Their response as to why, was, "I don't know". The issue still happens rarely and remains unresolved.

Despite the glitches, I am still using the program, as the benefit currently surpasses the annoyances. I will continue to use the program, until something better comes along, but certainly based on my experience with HRD support. I have no plans to renew the subscription. Simply stated, I could have looked in the mirror and said "I don't know".

N5RGV Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2014 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would highly recommended the HRD Logging Software. I use most of the suite. Support is fast, programmers very polite and helpful. Thanks Mike.

N3EOE Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2014 13:08 Send this review to a friend
A Great Suite!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would highly recommended this suite even if you will be using only of the programs. I use the entire suite and it works flawlessly. Support is very timely (tnx Mike).

Great job!

N5LZI Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 11:03 Send this review to a friend
FIRST CLASS HELP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE BEEN USING HRD FOR SEVEREL YEARS. I UP GRADED TO THE PAIDED VERSION THIS YEAR. IT WORKS WELL ON MY KENWOOD 480 SAT. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANY ONE THAT WANT'S A FIRST CLASS LOGGING PROGRAM. AND THE HAMS AT HRD ARE VERY PROFESSIONAL WHEN YOU NEED HELP.

K5WLY Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2014 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had HRD since the original free days and I am now a paid user. I just had an issue with transferring to a new computer and the response from Tech Support was very responsive. I am totally satisfied with the product and support. I will continue to subscribe so I will always have the latest and greatest from the HRD team.