Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 386 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2016 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Re-review - Love it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great program - complex but does anything and everthing I can think of. Love the CW interface with Winkeyer and DM-780. It does freeze occasionally but that is usually when I choose a piece of hardware that isn't present or the wrong com port. With a little patience it all works well.
K8PJM Rating: 3/5 Oct 1, 2016 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Liked Simon's version better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used Simon's versions of this software for a long time and it worked like a champ. If there was a problem Simon would address it in pretty short order. The current version I must say I am not impressed with. Bought it down in Dayton this year when I picked up my IC-7300. Must say it has been a PITA to get working properly with the Icom. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? Not for the nearly $100 price tag.
ON6AB Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2016 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Buggy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like said before, this program blames Microsoft for their own software bugs.
All other logging software like Logger32, DXlab etc manages to cope with Windows just fine.
On top of that, it is only a mediocre piece of software compared to the two others mentionned above.
WD4ED Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2016 09:21 Send this review to a friend
At first I was impressed but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
After being off the air for a long time and coming back to find a suit like HRD, I found it amazing. A vast majority of this credit goes to Simon. When the software first changed ownership I thought it would get even better. After an initial surge the software is becoming stale and broken. "New features" are tied to new hardware and seldom relevant to me. Bug fixes are slow and often introduce more bugs. If you can actually convince the programmers that there really is a bug. Paid online support sucks to say the least. Unless some kind of online tantrum is thrown most of my requests go unanswered or are pushed to a "ticket" where I'm fed BS and dodged or squeezed for more money to fix features that exist in the interface but don't work because they want more money. Giving them the annual $50 and then the features are supposed to work... but don't. No further usable replies after the money is taken. Voice any type of displeasure with the support anywhere on the internet and the obligation that comes with paying support somehow disappears. I can't confirm that of course. But the rumors are... and I sure can't seem to get much useful help. Don't like me? Fine, I don't really care, but once you take the money you are obligated to fulfill your end of the agreement. I often forget to check for responses to my questions, only to check days later and find still no replies. The current installer has major issues and there's no mention of it that I could find anywhere on the site. Only to find out from other users that there are known issues. HRD has by far the best rig control and inter-application performance. IMHO Omni-Rig is slow and crash prone and needs to be updated. But I'm getting tired of having to use serial splitters to run Omni-Rig and HRD to run the combination of applications I want. So HRD is probably going way for me. I'm tired of paying for crappy support and features I can't use and new bugs or poorly documented changes. I'm giving it an "Ok" only because I really like the concept and much of the software. But the support is killing the experience for me! The best programmers have better relations with their users than this. But what do I know? I only did this type of work for the U.S. Navy for about 20 years. My posts are easily searched on the support site and I have emails from tickets to back this up.
AB6CC Rating: 2/5 Sep 20, 2016 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Buggy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hrd and Logbook have many useful functions but subject to errors, crashes, freezes. The support staff always trys to help, but the recommendation is often to grant them access directly to your computer so they can reset whatever. This is of course out of the question.
While it must be difficult for the software to functionally communicate with every radio produced, I think if this company is going to continue selling this product it needs to do more work on the code.
K2GAV Rating: 1/5 Sep 20, 2016 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Buggy program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started using the free version from Simon in 2011 and it was a great value (FREE!). I limped along without a TS-990 and KX3 specific interface, and when the solar cycle progression stopped working I decided to pay the $100 and get a paid for and supported product.
This program is riddled with bugs. I've been annoyed by random "MFC Application Error" shutdowns of LogBook. Now I randomly get blank data window screens on logbook, the search filter and the DX cluster. I have a clunky work around.
After several calls to support and hours spent trying their lame fixes, none of which worked, I was asked to scrap my entire install and years of configurations and wipe my system of HRD and then reinstall it, with no guarantee this would fix things. It would take me a long time to crawl back to where I was with years of configuration. So, in an air or cooperation, and since my first year of support was running out, I offered to perform this trial if they would simply renew my support for another year ($50) for free. They declined, so I decided to just live with the bugs and never, ever throw good money against bad with HRD in the future. Goodbye HRD!
N2SUB Rating: 1/5 Sep 2, 2016 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Flimsy at best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD 6.1 for a few years, and I've learned to deal with the various popups, and the inability to interface with LOTW despite multiple reinstalls. Support basically told me I was on my own and closed my ticket, even though I sent them the log file from the program. It freezes up now and then, and sometimes makes ghost entries in my log. But ok, I can deal with it. I have been developing software for decades, I get it.....nothing is perfect.

I purchased HRD 6.3, only to find out Windows XP was not supported. So, I installed HRD on a brand new Windows 10 machine, and everything appeared to be working fine. Then, I installed Office 365, and it broke the LogBook. Known problem, they say. There is a whole page devoted to telling you how to tweak the registry, download things, repair files, etc, etc.

Alright guys, enough is enough. If you have known problems, like compatibility issues with Microsoft products, you need to release a hotfix. It would take a day to create a script to do all of the things your page says to do, and it would be idiot proof. Nobody should ever have to edit their registry because of a compatibility issue caused by your software using an old jet driver and ODBC for communications. ESPECIALLY if the issue occurred from installing a tried and true product like Office. From my viewpoint, there is not enough R&D before new releases are made available. There are not enough updates, and there are no hotfixes or patches. If they want to charge big-boy money, they need to develop at a big-boy level. There should be wizards for setup, so information can be put into necessary but forgotten fields, and data could be shared between programs to prevent duplicate entries. I can see a lot of development time went into the bells and whistles, but for goodness sake, make it a little more user-friendly and a little more stable before pushing it to market. I'd expect bugs and lengthy configuration procedures in free software. Caveat emptor. Know what you're getting before you drop the money on software that, in my opinion, is not mature.

Sorry guys, I've tried to love it. It just isn't worth the price.
MW0GUK Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2016 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I usually never write review but felt that I had to on this occasion. I suppose that I am lazy in that I find it nuch easier and simpler to use HRD to control all the functions of my radio rather than plough through all the menus. I have been using HRD and the packages logbook and DM780 for about 7 years now. I would be lost without them all. How they manage to keep up with all that it can do is beyond me and although it might at first sight seem expensive you really do get what you pay for.
I needed support after trying to upgrade to the most recent version and ended up with corrupted files and all. The helpdesk was wonderful and spent nearly3 hours on two consecutive evenings using a transatlantic phone call to sort it all out.

Well impressed and good value for money
K6EIE Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2016 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Ham Radio Deluxe and Support Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ham Radio Deluxe is an amazing suite of integrated radio control and ham station operating programs and applications, covering all the functions necessary for "playing radio," both for the casual operator, DX'er and the contester. The HRD and DM-780 suite is ever-so-much more than a mere logging program. In addition to both automatic and manual logging, the program suite also provides for detailed award tracking, radio control, DX Cluster frequency/QTH access with automatic QSY via a mouse click, rotator direction control, world map headings with gray line, and much more. I used the free HRD Version 5 until the International DX Convention in Visalia in 2012, when I purchased Version 6. I have since updated to the current release, Version My radio is a Kenwood TS 590S. I am very pleased with the HRD product and with their Support Service.
Though an old man (76), I am a relatively new ham (licensed 2011), and not terribly computer literate. While there is certainly a significant learning curve associated with becoming proficient with HRD and DM-780, time and diligence will pay big dividends in operating pleasure.
Recently Microsoft attempted to "jam" Windows 10 into my Lenovo computer, resulting in its becoming totally inoperative. My IT guy was able to restore computer operation and files, but all my programs, including HRD and its formatting, were lost, as was I. I contacted HRD Support (Tim KB3NPH), and explained my dilemma. Tim assured me that I was not the only person with the same or a similar problem. He explained that, in addition to the Windows 10 problemn, the repeated HRD updates being installed and reinstalled in computers, without completely uninstalling previous HRD versions, caused residual "trash" to be frequently left in the machines. He has developed an "HRD Periodic Housekeeping" multi-step procedure to rid the computers of all the residual HRD fragments from earlier versions and perform a clean install of the current version. Tim then assisted me in restoring the HRD files from backup. The result is fast and trouble-free operation of Ham Radio Deluxe and my radio station, as it should be.
Tim also explained many of the features of the HRD and DM-780 suite of which I was not previously aware.
I cannot imagine operating my station without Ham Radio Deluxe!
WO2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Love the Logbook and DM780  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using HRD Logbook and DM780 with DDUtil and my Flex 6700. I've been using HRD Logbook and DM780 with the Flex for years, going back to the free 5.x version. I love the award tracking in the logbook.

Had an issue with the newest ( version when clicking a CW spot in the cluster. Received a call tonight from the owner who worked with me and he found a bug in the code. He sent me a new version to test and all is good again.

Using DDUtil with SmartSDR CAT it emulates HRD TCP/IP server and allows using HRD Logbook and DM780 without the need to run the main HRD program. This allows seamless integration of the various software and hardware in the shack. Makes operating a piece of cake.

It is nice to see HRD respond and fix the problem quickly. They had a "bump" in support but they are moving in the right direction.