Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 353 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KB3ZNL Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2014 08:37 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC PROGRAM & GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I pick HRD as the best of the control/digital software. Have used it for 18 months for both rig control, digital, and logging. Really like it!
This is a big, complicated, and expensive set of applications but it works really good. Best of all is the direct and personal customer support they give. Well worth the money!

KQ6DV Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2014 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Intensive Program, Great Support. Not great for contesting.  Time owned: more than 12 months
HRD is a very intensive program, and I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do after over a year of using the paid version. I recently retired and began wading back into Amateur Radio after a decade of relative inactivity. I have found HRD support to be wonderful, even when unable to resolve an expectation. I have always found the support staff to be friendly, patient, and attentive.

I really love the ability to customize the logging layouts to suit my specifications. HRD is great for logging regular contacts, but I wrestle with the contest mode and some of its quirks. I am still waiting for one of the bugs I reported a year ago to be fixed: it enters the exchange information in the wrong fields when using the convenient contest box and entering the exchange elements separated by the space bar. This would be GREAT if it worked, but I've had to instead enter the exchange information in the individual fields myself. This goes very quickly using the Tab key, but it would still be preferable to have the contest entry box working. There also seems to be some lack of "sync" between the contest entry mode and the normal mode, creating difficulties in editing a contact. I am a lightweight contester, but I enjoy participating and I'd like to see HRD devote more energy to the contest logging aspect of the software. I suspect a serious contester would be very irritated with the quirks in the program.

Nevertheless I intend to stick with HRD and grow into the program as it has so much to offer and I love the support experience.

AB4D Rating: 3/5 Dec 7, 2014 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Still a few glitches  Time owned: more than 12 months
This past September, I finished my first year of using Ham Radio Deluxe (the paid Version 6.0+) as my primary ham radio software suite. I wish I was able to write a glowing review in support of this program. However, my first year experience with this program has not been perfect. During the limited times I have used the radio control program, it seemed to work ok to the degree that it works as intended. I can say the same thing about DM780. During the few times that I have used it to make a few digital PSK-31 contacts, it seemed to work fine.

My main problems with HRD has always been with the finicky logging program. The logging program has been a source of irritation for me. The program constantly throws "Improper Argument" or "HRD has quit responding errors" and locks up for reasons I can't seem to pin down. Each time the program has to be restarted. I've experience other issues with the program as well. Sometimes, the program seems to forget your location, and HRD will show your location in the center of the country. The result is the beam heading function loses all accuracy.

Another issue I've experienced, when working as a contest station, HRD lost track of time for each contact while I was quickly logging, and posted the exact same time to multiple but different contacts. Luckily, I was able to sort out the logging mess that was created by HRD.

Launching multiple ALE windows will occasionally also cause a fault, and the program will stop responding as well. During the first year I was eligible for paid support. I contacted HRD support for assistance with the location issue I was experiencing. Their response as to why, was, "I don't know". The issue still happens rarely and remains unresolved.

Despite the glitches, I am still using the program, as the benefit currently surpasses the annoyances. I will continue to use the program, until something better comes along, but certainly based on my experience with HRD support. I have no plans to renew the subscription. Simply stated, I could have looked in the mirror and said "I don't know".

N5RGV Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2014 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would highly recommended the HRD Logging Software. I use most of the suite. Support is fast, programmers very polite and helpful. Thanks Mike.

N3EOE Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2014 13:08 Send this review to a friend
A Great Suite!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would highly recommended this suite even if you will be using only of the programs. I use the entire suite and it works flawlessly. Support is very timely (tnx Mike).

Great job!

N5LZI Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 11:03 Send this review to a friend
FIRST CLASS HELP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE BEEN USING HRD FOR SEVEREL YEARS. I UP GRADED TO THE PAIDED VERSION THIS YEAR. IT WORKS WELL ON MY KENWOOD 480 SAT. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANY ONE THAT WANT'S A FIRST CLASS LOGGING PROGRAM. AND THE HAMS AT HRD ARE VERY PROFESSIONAL WHEN YOU NEED HELP.

K5WLY Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2014 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had HRD since the original free days and I am now a paid user. I just had an issue with transferring to a new computer and the response from Tech Support was very responsive. I am totally satisfied with the product and support. I will continue to subscribe so I will always have the latest and greatest from the HRD team.

W5RWF Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2014 19:38 Send this review to a friend
I'm happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started with the free version and was an early customer for the upgraded paid version. I use HRD for total station control; logging, DX spotting, rig control (2), and rotor control. There have been some teething problems, mostly caused by me, and I have found the support to be outstanding. Tim has spent whatever time it took to resolve problems and help me with things (upgrades) I really should have done myself. Mike has answered questions, provided answers, and solved my problems in a very timely manner. HRD was an excellent choice for me!
Bill...
W5RWF

N5FO Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using HRD free version for about 3 years with very few issues. I purchased the supported upgrade to version 6 a few months ago. It does a great job of interfacing to my TS 590. Although I am a "lightweight" user, it does a great job of radio control & display, spotting dx, logging, and interfacing automatically with LoTW (which is a big help). I have had a few issues, mostly misunderstanding on my part, and called the support line. Help was immediate and resolved the issues!

AH0U Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2014 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Super customer support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since the change in ownership this package has really gotten much better... I did have a problem with the rotor software that turned out to be a problem with my computer but Tim at customer support connected to my computer and spent an hour cleaning up my machine and now it works great.... Great software and super support.