Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 457 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KT8DX Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2017 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Update of previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I jumped the gun on the previous review I left for HRD. I found an article online telling me how to go into the Windows registry and edit it for HRD would work. Seems silly and dangerous to have to edit the registry but it did work. HRD is what it is - a big, multi-function application that does just about everything one could want with a station automation program. But will all things complex, the more there is, there more there is to break. BMW owners understand this only too well.

WA5CAM Rating: 2/5 Apr 23, 2017 14:01 Send this review to a friend
New User Denied?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got back in the hobby about 4 months ago and I may have installed this about 3 months ago needing a logging program. Now I am needing rig control, digi modes etc. Oh course now I can "test" it because of my previous install. Oh well, moving on.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Works very well for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It takes a little to set up. I have to add that I had great support from the HRD team. But once working, it is totally awesome, and I find myself on the digital modes more than SSB, and this has all to do with the HRD Platform.

About the HRD Program in general...

Just imagine how many difference scenarios and set up there are and add the fact Ham operators like most today want instant satisfaction. This puts some strain on the HRD Team..It takes a little effort from the Ham Operator and as stated the HRD Team was there every step of the way.

About the features

There are many various modes and modulation schemes, and ton more..I like switching from BSK 31, to trying Olivia and the many flavors that this mode offers.

Summary the best 100 spent on Ham Radio!

W6MYN Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic & Priceless  Time owned: more than 12 months
If your serious abt DXCC, Contests, Awards or simply rag chewing you must have Ham Radio Deluxe in your repertoire .
Over the course of 2 years HRD enabled me to acquire 278 Countries/Enities could not have done this without this marvel package, a solid reliable Rig controller, Logging pgm, Rotor contoller along with numerous other pgms/aids.
If your hesitant abt the install or operation
Their outstanding support team (Tim in particular)
Will cheerfully guide u through the process.
Catch u on the air de w6myn

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2017 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Great tool for every shack! Excellent Technical Support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the HRD software several years ago. I use it regularly with my Yaesu and Icom radios (both new FT-991 & IC-7851 and "old" FT-1000D & IC-R8500).

Some comments on this review section cite that this is complex software. I don't see it that way. I see a great piece of software that has to accommodate a wide array of radios and configs. I know how utterly complicated that can be. So hats off to them for doing it in one great package.

Recently I migrated to a new PC and in doing so I copied my files from the older PC to the new one. I then installed HRD's most recent version. I had a glitch / error box, that popped up when I opened the logbook. I couldn't figure it out. I finally contacted HRD who responded almost immediately with several possible fixes. I tried them all without resolution. The tech (Tim) connected remotely to my system and resolved it in <2 minutes. It turned out that there was a erroneous/corrupt database on my system. EXCELLENT efficient work!

I literally never use my radios without this software - I'm that hooked! The log book, which shows you all of the active callsigns on each band is utterly phenomenal and great for catching DX/contesting! I hope your experience is the same!

KM6AXC Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2017 08:05 Send this review to a friend
(Chuckle) They got the message?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK guys, here is my take on this Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) product. First, I read roughly 10% of the 2200 responses about the lousy product/service that HRD has to offer. When I began using the product, I became so disgusted and frustrated, I gave up on it many times - after many reloads and uninstalls of it. The reviews mentioned above were right on. But I stuck to it - damn the torpedoes type of thing.

To the owners credit, he did recently post a new item that both apologizes for past employee actions and also promised better service. Well, believe it or not, I CALLED TWICE after (reading that) for help and both times, a tech answered and actually gave me good answers. I was blown away!!.

TRULY TRULY I say unto you, even now, this product is WAY TO COMPLICATED. Ever heard of KISS? But, alas, once you figure it out, the darn thing is great! As long as you keep it simple (KISS). It still freezes now and then but the reload (i.e. restarting the Radio portion of the program - not a complete new download) seems easy (so far). Here is what I can offer (I'll leave my three pages of complaints for a later posts - complaints that deal with it's complexity). I have a Yaesu FTDX 3000 machine. The manual that comes with it (as you undoubtedly know) is a major joke!! But, that is another complaint letter to the editor that will get posted later:):).. I tried to use that manual as a guide to "interface" with HRD (remember KISS? Instead of the fancy word "interface", why can't they simply say "linking the radio to the computer program?). But, to say the manual was of no use is an understatement. I then - probably like most of you - turned to the internet. I found one article that expressed the amazement of a ham who realized that most users of the machine did not know that there was an internal soundcard built into the Yeasu machine (of course, the Yaesu manual did not mention that point). Anyway, I followed the numerous steps he outlined and the HRD program "worked". But, that was just the beginning of many other associated problems involved in using the Yaesu internal soundcard. I therefore recommend that you do NOT use the internal soundcard but instead, use the below stuff.

So, here is what I did and now, other than the idiotic complexity of the program (in terms of the hundreds of buttons/configurations/processes/occasional freeze ups/etc. you can choose while operating, it works satisfactorily. First, invest $150 in the Signal Link (probably others just a good but this is the only one I use) and get the little $12 plug in thingy that goes inside (they will tell you which one to get). Plug one end (the six pin connector to the rear of the radio and the other USB into the computer. Configure (or per KISS, "set up") your HRD sound card to CODEC for both input and output. Go to YAESU web site and download the Virtual serial port (after you push the product button for FTDX 3000 and then find the itty bitty word that sas files - the download will show up in your device manage as ports 3 and 4). 3 is Enhanced and 4 is standard. I "think" 4 is used for CW but that is another battle that still lies ahead of me. HRD will not work if such is not downloaded. Then, hook up another cable between another usb port on your computer and the usb connection at the rear (note that each end has a different plug in type). Now, if my "computereese" is correct, what this does is permit your computer to operate the radio from the HRD program (i.e. the cable that goes to the usb slot on the back of the radio) while isolating the inefficient computer soundcard from the HRD program (i.e. you have substituted the computer soundcard with the more efficient Signal Link soundcard - the one that hooks up to the 6 pin on rear of radio). Call Signal Link and they will make sure you get the right stuff. Once I got all this done, the HRD program is for the most part, doing what I want. I keep my efforts ONLY in the area of learning how to log contacts automatically. I do not even bother with the tons of other stuff - yet!!. So, if you have the same radio and need help, look me up on QRZ and email me. I spent at least 25 hours getting this thing to work - maybe I can lessen your time commitment? :):)

Jerry
KM6AXC

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2017 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Software - Easy to Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
A powerful and easy to use program for digital modes. I would highly recommend.

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2017 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Power User - Fantastic Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don't believe the negative reviews. I've been using this software for at least ten years, and I've never had a single problem, and I've never needed tech support, not even once. I have over 30,000 Qso's in the logbook. I use DM780 on multiple modes. I've used the software with the Kenwood TS-590SG, Icom Pro3 and 7600, and the Yaesu 897D. I am totally pleased with my purchase, and I would highly recommend this software to anyone. I have been continuously licensed and active since 1978.

KK6LE Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2017 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Ham Radio App  Time owned: more than 12 months
HRD is the first radio app I've tried. And it will be my last -- it does everything I need it to do with style and grace, and a bunch of stuff I never thought of that I've now started to use. The rig control module is aces. Highly configurable and the user interface is intuitive and very aesthetically pleasing. Same for the logging module -- easy to navigate and I especially appreciate not only the tightly integrated LOTW interface but the ease of getting data in and out of HRD. DM-780 is feature rich and works as advertised right out of the box, and this was my first experience with digital modes. For a $99 permanent license with support available and reasonably priced, this is the software deal of a century. Couldn't be happier. 73!

AD0AR Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2017 16:49 Send this review to a friend
One stop shop for computer control  Time owned: more than 12 months
I observed a fellow ham's PC/station using the software and I was surprised that it was the newer version (6.x). It looks the same as the old. I could not see any more digital data modes offered on the new vs. the old version 5.x I am still using.
I'm pretty sure if I bought a new radio that was not supported on the old software, I just might buy the new software, but then again, I was poking around and found the CAT command manager under the MACROS tab and command tester under Tools tab. I think I could compile my own library of commands for newer hardware??
I do like the ability to control the TWIN PBT on my 7600- it gives me almost the same control as a SDR type radio where I can simply click on a signal in the waterfall of the DM780 Digital master software and using radio commands, I have made macros that I can click once on that automatically center the signal I clicked on, then depending what data mode I am using, I can have the macro automatically adjust the Twin PBT tuning to brick wall filter anything on either side of the desired signal leaving me and the desired signal in isolation. Sheer bliss on a contest weekend!
I can't believe how many features are in this software and in the submenus... the list goes on and on and on if you are into customizing.
I have one glitch I have observed on the 5.x software. The radio command for my Icom 7600 to control the antenna port is set to the same command for both antenna 1 and 2 (when looking up the command set in HRD) so if I hit the antenna 1 or 2 button in the software, it lights up both buttons and sticks the radio on antenna 2 no matter what until I manually punch the antenna button on the radio. I was thinking perhaps it was meant to toggle, but after viewing the command line they do call out the same line of code. Wonder how I can modify this and apply a fix? Been using the 5.x software since 2012 on
4 different Icom radios. It works once the communication protocols have been properly established between radio and computer.
Now if the Ham radio deluxe team added some features like a new layout format for the buttons and sliders and add more digital data features, and perhaps a serial data connection troubleshooter/simplifier to help diagnose connectivity problems, I am sure this would definitely convince me to move to the next version.
In God we trust, all others we monitor. AD0AR