Reviews Categories | Ham Software/Apps - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 465 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

N2OGK Rating: 0/5 Feb 17, 2018 17:53 Send this review to a friend
They don't honor the license Agreement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the software for $99. Used it for years as a registered user. One day after a windows update it showed up as unregistered. I emailed the company and they said I needed a receipt to prove I had a registered copy. I sent them a picture of the disk and the license with the key and they still wouldn't honor it! What a scam. They make you buy a new copy every few years.
KA7RAI Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2018 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Look no further... This is it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tested all the free and donate applications out there some so-so and some just never really preformed. Then I bit the bullet and bought Ham Radio Deluxe. There's no comparison, This program just flat does what it says it will do and then some. And the support... Better than anything I've ever seen. I got a reply back at 2AM from Ferry, he was very helpful and I was amazed at the time of day he answered my question. If you want a Ham program buy this and don't bother wasting any time on the others.
KM4SFF Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2018 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Comprehensive ham tool.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is by far the most comprehensive ham application I've used. I have experience working with some of the other well known logging applications and they are good at what they do, but I like how everything integrates within one application. Besides logging, there is awards tracking, rotor control, a digital communications tool (DM780), transceiver interface and much more.

The application allows you to rearrange certain screens giving you a customized workflow. I like this feature because not all operators work in the same manner.

Customer service:
My customer service experience was outstanding. Ferry responded to an incident I submitted within two hours and it was a holiday weekend!

HRD offers a 30-day trial. If you are considering another logging application, I would highly recommended giving them a try.
W5RRP Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2018 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Just keeps getting better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ferry did a fantastic job. Found and saved my lof files. I was in way over my head on this one, and Ferry took care of it for me. My subscription to your services have been worth every penny and more!
N2JF Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2018 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Great all -in-one logging suite  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think it's the best overall logging program to keep track of all your ham activities. Here are some bullet points why:
-First of all, pay the small fee for the program. The free version is outdated and it glitches with newer programs
-The customer service is the best. Comes with paid version...and is the best software support you will get anywhere. I had several glitches which I could not figure out. Jim is tech services connected remotely and fixed every problem on at least three occasions. Unbelievable in this age of horrible service.
-Don't bash this program...chances are the problem is on your end and not with the's usually a setting on your computer.
-It's not really designed to be a contesting program..although it can be used as one. Much better to import all your scores, contacts, etc. from N1MM and FT8 and let HRD become a central clearinghouse which keep track of your awards, QSLs, etc.
-I would suggest using mysql to convert the logs if they are large...much faster than access. HRD has instructions on how to do it. If I can figure it out, anyone can.
-Initial setup could be a breeze or glitchy, depending on your rig and computer. Another reason to pay for the support.
-Rmember, it is a suite of different featrures that are usefull, not just a logging program.
-Overall, I find it the best overall program out there to keep track of your activity and daily contacts. Not perfect, but the HRD folks seem to be responsive to bugs and glitches and appear to be constantly approving the software. That's more than I can say for other developers.
AJ7G Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2017 04:53 Send this review to a friend
What a fantastic program for amateur radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally graduated from college after 3.5 years and I'm now able to pursue my favorite hobby again, ham radio. Purchased the HRD program 2 days ago, installed it yesterday and was back on the air in 2 hours using HRD. The HTD program is a very user friendly program and the improvements that the HRD team has made are amazing. Great job HRD!!!

73 Randy AJ7G
W4NNF Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2017 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid program(s) just like always...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To make it short and sweet, if you've been using the free (v5) version of HRD you will be happy with the for-pay v6 program. I'd used Simon's HRD for six years. Did everything I needed it to do and did it well. So why did I recently hand over money for the pay-to-play Ham Radio Deluxe?

First of all, I suspect it's just a matter of time before changes in Windows break version 5. I'd rather upgrade at a time of my choosing than wait and be forced to do so during a contest, etc. etc.

Secondly, over the years, v5 has begun to generate some errors and lose capabilities. The Logger, for example, throws up an error due to a url it used to get propagation information being outdated. No big deal, but annoying.

Finally, the modest amount you'll pay for Ham Radio Deluxe is worth it (to me) to ensure the program hangs around. If you are experienced in using it, you really shouldn't need any support, so just pony up for the version with the shortest support period, which is less than 50 bucks. No need for a CD in these days of broadband, so don't worry about that extra expense.

The only thing that bothered me about upgrading was that I have everything working for me just the way I want it, and I was afraid installing the new one would mess that up. It didn't. Mostly it didn't, anyway. The only thing I lost during the upgrade was the macros in DM780 I'd set up for PSK 31. Not a big deal and took just a few minutes to reenter my information.

What if you've never used HRD, though, and are wondering whether you should? There are various programs available, like Fldigi, that can do some of the things HRD does, do them well, and do them for free. But HRD is the only program I've tried that does EVERYTHING I need it to do. What does HRD do? Ham Radio Deluxe is not actually one program; it's a suite of programs:

Rig control. I was perfectly happy with this, but I notice that it's been improved, with some new options (for my Icom transceiver) that I didn't have in the free version. What rig control will do is allow you to operate your (computer savvy) rig from the PC. With HRD's rig control module running, you shouldn't have to touch the front panel of your transceiver unless you need to change some of the more basic settings. It even includes a pseudo band scope that works pretty darned well.

Logging. There are computerized logbooks that work as every bit well as HRD's logger, but HRD's logger is user friendly and does what I need it to do the way I need it to work for everything from contesting to day to day operations. It interfaces with the digital modes app of HRD, DM780. You can look up calls on QRZ with a touch of a button, open an Internet browser, even locate the station you worked on a map using Google Earth. It's also simple to set up for use with Logbook of the World. A pair of buttons on the logger's toolbar allows down/uploading to LOTW.

Rotor control. I don't use a rotor at the moment, so I have yet to try this program module, but if you need computerized antenna pointing, this will do it according to my buddies who have used it.

DM780 aka "Digital Master"...This is the app that allows you to communicate in the more popular digital modes. Works fine, and is all I use for PSK31. As above, you don't need to leave DM780 to log your contacts; you can do it from within the program. I love DM780.

HRD downsides? A few.

The logbook can be ornery if you don't have a strong Internet connection. I sometimes don't in my shack, which is in a detached building. Click "look up" without a good connection and Logbook can hang up. In a couple of instances, this has also caused DM780 to crash as well.

At the moment DM780 lacks, not unexpectedly, that hot, hot, hot new mode everybody is crazy for, FT8. However, the free program to work that mode, WSJT-X, interfaces with HRD and that allows you to set up the software just by selecting "Ham Radio Deluxe" in WSJT-X's rig setup window.

While Ham Radio Deluxe looks good, as it always has, I sort of expected some refinements, particularly on the rig control app as far as appearance. Don't get me wrong, it looks fine...but it's basically almost exactly the same thing I've been staring at for six years.

In the beginning, when the software transitioned from free to for pay, there were some hiccups with bugs, support, and PR issues. All this seems to be in the past now. While I haven't had occasion to try the support system, I am told the new owners are now doing a good job.

To sum up, I am every bit as cheap as any other ham, but I'm glad I upgraded. End of story, game over, zip up your fly...HRD is still great.

This is a big, sprawling set of programs with tons of settings and options. Take it slowly. Get rig control working, move on to the logbook, and then tackle DM780. The manual is not perfect, but is pretty good, and I suspect will get most new HRD users going without recourse to the support folks.
KA3PCX Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2017 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
When a problem arises, they will do any and everything to help you get the problem solved, whether it is a problem LOTW, or Rig Issues.
You may need their help on some rigs, which they will help you.!
It might be setting up DM-780 getting your soundcard to work and transmit with multiple radios, which the software program can do!
Also the satellite tracking is great! All in one program instead of using multiple programs.
You can also count on product developement they just added the new mode FT-8.
In summary a great overall program, I have tried many logging programs glad to sell it to you but if there is a problem, your on your own!
KT8DX Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2017 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Update of previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I jumped the gun on the previous review I left for HRD. I found an article online telling me how to go into the Windows registry and edit it for HRD would work. Seems silly and dangerous to have to edit the registry but it did work. HRD is what it is - a big, multi-function application that does just about everything one could want with a station automation program. But will all things complex, the more there is, there more there is to break. BMW owners understand this only too well.
WA5CAM Rating: 2/5 Apr 23, 2017 14:01 Send this review to a friend
New User Denied?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got back in the hobby about 4 months ago and I may have installed this about 3 months ago needing a logging program. Now I am needing rig control, digi modes etc. Oh course now I can "test" it because of my previous install. Oh well, moving on.