Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 353 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 1/5 Sep 29, 2014 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no doubt that the owners and writers of HRD are well intentioned hams with a wealth of goodwill towards their customers.

HOWEVER, there seems to me, as a customer, to be chaos and pandemonium in the support/key company structure.
They seem to get back to you whenever they feel the urge, and good luck if you accidentally get to the wrong department.

HRD has certainly been improved, particularly in reliability from crashes, but the customer service leaves a bitter taste every time I have attempted to get basic service.

Your money - your choice, but I for one will leave the HRD fold, and would suggest that anyone who is trying to decide whether to buy in, to use due diligence.
Ignore all the number 5 fanboys, and do your own research - then if you are happy buy.

After you put your money down is too late.

KD9AZW Rating: 3/5 Sep 25, 2014 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Could be Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In terms of the software itself the rating would be a 3-4 but the support is a 1-2.
I installed the HRD software on my computer and overall the look and functionality are pretty good. I can control my radio from the computer and the log works well (see comments below on the log).
I have had and still do have some software/hardware conflicts with my computer. I started experiencing network connection problems right after installing the software but the real problem was trying to get support. First the phone number was changed, then you always went to voice mail and worse they would never call back when you left a message. Then I tried the e-mail method, but it is too hard to solve a complex problem over e-mail - specially when the first thing they do is blame your equipment. Finally I was contacted by the president of HRD who offered to call and work out the problem after expounding on his credentials but then never called even though I agreed to talk to him.

I asked to have my money refunded but they would not do it so be sure you know it works before you buy.

I have finally got the program to work with only minor disruptions to my computer, but the support system certainly left a bad taste.

I have talked to other hams who also had some computer interface problems including blue screens and a few who did not have any problems. Another reason to buy carefully.

As to the log, it is certainly a time saver but I have not yet figured out how to use it when I am operating another radio and the radio linked to HRD is not on. I wish it would operate independently. Also, it has a built in look-up to QRZ and it will give you the country but not the state which would be helpful.

Hopefully, future revisions will address some of my problems.

K6PVA Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
HRD has outstanding Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really was a bit concerned about HRD. I had used the early versions and they all crashed my computer. The new 6.2 is great. The Suite really is a great addition to my station and both the Rig control and the DM works really well. The best part for me is the support. I called Tech support because was missed a few things and they help me by logging into my computer and showed me exactly what I missed and now its working great... I am sure you will love the program.

WI3L Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this program. Been using HRD since 2007. Recently renewed my subscription,and had a configuration problem. Called Tech support and Tim fixed me right up. He took control of my computer,and went places I didn't know were in my computer! He got right to it and after changing a couple of things it was all better.I won't have a problem calling him again if I ever have another problem!

GM4WCE Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Works well with Flex SmartSDR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been a long time user of HRD v.5. Recently changed my FT950 for a FLEX6300 and came to realise how much I relied on HRD for logging, PSK and DX cluster. As v5 does not support SmartSDR I downloaded latest v6.x. Much to my delight it carried all my old preferences over and just required setting up to communicate with SmartSDR CAT / DAX. A quick and easy job and I have HRD with the Flex. Still on the free month trial but will certainly be buying before the trial ends. Well done HRD team.

KB3ZNL Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 07:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SOFTWARE AND EVEN BETTER TECH SUPPORT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Upgraded to v 6.2.4.280 and had a few little problems. Called in to Tech Support and got right thru on first call and fixed up in 5 minutes. Really good service. The HRD software suite is great and so it the tech support!

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
HRD is a difficult pgm to learn and use. On many occasions I was tempted to try something else but they were never as feature filled as HRD. I am still running the free version. I realize that it cost time to operate and maintain the software. I understand that Rick, et al must earn a return on their investment. It is a great piece of software and I heartily recommend it to anyone working the digital modes.

AD0EY Rating: 2/5 Jun 25, 2014 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Correction and update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seems that you can't edit reviews once posted. I heard from Tim about my installation issues, with an offer to help and a clarification that support is available, even during the trial without a support subscription.

After reviewing our firewall logs, it looks like the software is attempting a callout to the HRD license server on port 3162, which we have blocked. I'm not inclined to start opening up firewall ports for one app, so I'm going to reluctantly pass on this. Your situation will likely be different than mine, so this is no reflection on the quality of the software, other than that connection errors should pop up a friendly error message rather than simply locking up the application.

KJ5XF Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2014 14:34 Send this review to a friend
3/5..Copy not too good, .Intermittent crashes (version 6.2)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Decided to give HRD/DM780 a try since I had been using another digital mode program for over 10 years. Long story short:

DM780 has a lot of nice features. However, even after configuring the soundcard, copy is not too good. I set the TX audio output on my K3 such that bars 1->4 are on solid, with the 5th bar flickering. TX signal reports are good and no reports of splatter. I set the RX audio input to ~80%. But even with a clearly visible OLIVIA 500/16 signal on the waterfall, copy is about 80 to 90% at best...As a reference point, I can use MixW, MultiPSK with the same hardware (Elecraft K3, Signalink USB) and they work just fine.
I have set the tune_margin to 4 and Sync Depth to 8 based on some feedback from a fellow ham who has been using an older version of HRD. However setting those values hasn't helped..

To make things even more challenging, I have had random crashes while using DM780....I contacted HRD support and even on a Sunday afternoon they responded (GREAT support HRD.. Kudos to Tim!)
The random crashes are a tad frustrating to the say the least.

Hopefully, things will straighten out, but this latest version of HRD/DM780 that I picked up at HamCom last weekend has been a challenging experience to say the least...

AJ7G Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic program plus excellent support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using HRD for years and I love it. Got a corrupted database from another contest logging program and was causing HRD and me a lot of problems with HRD Ver 6.2. Notified support and they performed a remote access on my computer. With their diligence, perseverance, professionalism and time put HRD back to excellent operating status. The HRD is once again a real treat and pleasure to operate. I've never received better support from any product. Thanks HRD team!
Randy AJ7G