Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 394 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the free version several years ago and did not like it. I thought that DM780 was difficult to use. I decided to give the latest version a try. It is much better than FLDigi. I purchased the software and it works great. Have not had a problem with it. Have not needed to use their support yet but so far so good.

WD8NVN Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2016 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great then Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked good till I updated... HRD = Junk...

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2016 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent logging and station control package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned HRD for over 2 years. I always run the latest version, which is currently 6.3.0.613.

This an an excellent SW package, with a detailed logging module, as well as rig control and other station control functions, and a digital modes module (DM780). I am running on Windows 10, and everything works seamlessly. Prior to that, I used Windows 7, and there were no problems, either.

The logging module is easy to use. It interfaces seamlessly with all of the popular QSL and online logbooks, such as QRZ, eQSL, LoTW, ClubLog, etc. The logbook entry interfaces nicely with QRZ, and prefills in all of the station information into the log entry, as well as their status as a LoTW user, and other details. You do need to have a paid subscription with QRZ in order to have the logbook grab this information (it is NOT a HRD subscription!) The DX Cluster window connects very nicely to the cluster network, and is very reliable. One neat feature is the ability to filter the spots, by needed band/mode, so I only see spots for countries that I need as ATNO, or on a new band or new mode. I can work DX very quickly just by clicking the spot, which tunes the radio frequency and mode, then shows the stations QSL information, and turns my rotator to the correct heading (more on that later).

Rig control works very well. I run a FT-450D. I tend to do most of my fine tuning manually at the radio panel, but the rig control module does have all of the functions available to do this. As mentioned above, the rig control works fast and efficiently when grabbing stations off the DX Cluster.

I use the DM780 digital module mostly for RTTY and PSK. It works very well for both. I used other standalone RTTY and PSK programs prior to installing HRD, but now it's great to have both of those modes included. I wish that they would add JT65 capability. That would be awesome!

The rotator control package is the icing on the cake. I use a Hy-Gain YRC-1 rotator controller, which replaces the manual controller that came with my Yaesu G-450A rotator. The module is easy to setup, and handles all the popular controller protocols. Mine emulates the Hy-Gain DCU-2. It is also easy to program an offset in the heading, which I had to do because of antenna alignment error, plus magnetic compass deviation. After grabbing a station from the cluster, I click the rotator button in the logbook entry, and the rotator is automatically set to the station heading. While the rotator is turning, I can be tuning my amp and getting ready. This saves precious seconds when an ATNO DX contact is at stake, and has paid off many times.

I have also used the parallel port control feature to operate various antenna relays, which is handy. There are a host of other nice little features, too many to list here. I like the solar cycle progression window, and also the awards tracking features. The program also has a remote server module, but I have not investigated remote operation capability.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and this SW is no exception. To me, it is well worth the subscription renewal rate. It is very well done, and contrary to other opinions, I have found the support to be top notch on the very few occasions that I have had to use it. I believe that most of the problems are due to user's not reading the manual, and improper configuration. The SW, being very complex, is kept up to date as efficiently as possible, given the number of new rigs that are entering the market.

I highly recommend HRD, and have found that it suits all of my station control and logging needs.

AB6CC Rating: 0/5 Dec 16, 2016 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Adios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had used this software for over a year. After many problems some bug fixes finally allowed me some stability for the most part. Recently the stability was lost and I had had enough and uninstalled the program intending to just reinstall. However, since my activation key had expired I would have had to purchase the software all over again.
I'm doing fine with logger4om now.
Fortunately I had backed up my log in two other places so I lost nothing therefore.

N3LK Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2016 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Get What You Pay For   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been successfully using Ham Radio Deluxe for last 6-7 years, and contributed every season to help Simon’s (original HRD developer) efforts to create a wonderful integrated Ham Radio control/logging system . . . even if it was “free” software. Simon dedicated a large chunk of his life to helping Hams around the world writing/fixing HRD code. I appreciate his work, and the new owners keeping his legacy alive and thriving!.

The new owners (Version 6.x) have made many new and significant improvements, and stability is MUCH improved . . . even for 20+ year old rigs running on decade old PCs with ancient operating systems. Service support is solid. IMO they deserve to be compensated for this work.

I gladly paid for the upgrade and annual subscriptions because I have tried the “free” and “low-cost” alternatives and they are not worth spending my time trying to piece together a HRD wannabee system! Previous versions of HRD (5.x or older) are not supported and are doomed with future HW/OS evolutions.

Is HRD perfect? It is a complex set of integrated software tools which takes some effort to master and appreciate. If you can’t afford $99, not willing to actually read instructions, or have minimal PC/Radio competence, then move on to the “free” stuff and maybe back to CB radio?

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2016 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Re-review - Love it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great program - complex but does anything and everthing I can think of. Love the CW interface with Winkeyer and DM-780. It does freeze occasionally but that is usually when I choose a piece of hardware that isn't present or the wrong com port. With a little patience it all works well.

K8PJM Rating: 3/5 Oct 1, 2016 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Liked Simon's version better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used Simon's versions of this software for a long time and it worked like a champ. If there was a problem Simon would address it in pretty short order. The current version I must say I am not impressed with. Bought it down in Dayton this year when I picked up my IC-7300. Must say it has been a PITA to get working properly with the Icom. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? Not for the nearly $100 price tag.

ON6AB Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2016 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Buggy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like said before, this program blames Microsoft for their own software bugs.
All other logging software like Logger32, DXlab etc manages to cope with Windows just fine.
On top of that, it is only a mediocre piece of software compared to the two others mentionned above.

WD4ED Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2016 09:21 Send this review to a friend
At first I was impressed but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
After being off the air for a long time and coming back to find a suit like HRD, I found it amazing. A vast majority of this credit goes to Simon. When the software first changed ownership I thought it would get even better. After an initial surge the software is becoming stale and broken. "New features" are tied to new hardware and seldom relevant to me. Bug fixes are slow and often introduce more bugs. If you can actually convince the programmers that there really is a bug. Paid online support sucks to say the least. Unless some kind of online tantrum is thrown most of my requests go unanswered or are pushed to a "ticket" where I'm fed BS and dodged or squeezed for more money to fix features that exist in the interface but don't work because they want more money. Giving them the annual $50 and then the features are supposed to work... but don't. No further usable replies after the money is taken. Voice any type of displeasure with the support anywhere on the internet and the obligation that comes with paying support somehow disappears. I can't confirm that of course. But the rumors are... and I sure can't seem to get much useful help. Don't like me? Fine, I don't really care, but once you take the money you are obligated to fulfill your end of the agreement. I often forget to check for responses to my questions, only to check days later and find still no replies. The current installer has major issues and there's no mention of it that I could find anywhere on the site. Only to find out from other users that there are known issues. HRD has by far the best rig control and inter-application performance. IMHO Omni-Rig is slow and crash prone and needs to be updated. But I'm getting tired of having to use serial splitters to run Omni-Rig and HRD to run the combination of applications I want. So HRD is probably going way for me. I'm tired of paying for crappy support and features I can't use and new bugs or poorly documented changes. I'm giving it an "Ok" only because I really like the concept and much of the software. But the support is killing the experience for me! The best programmers have better relations with their users than this. But what do I know? I only did this type of work for the U.S. Navy for about 20 years. My posts are easily searched on the support site and I have emails from tickets to back this up.

K2GAV Rating: 1/5 Sep 20, 2016 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Buggy program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started using the free version from Simon in 2011 and it was a great value (FREE!). I limped along without a TS-990 and KX3 specific interface, and when the solar cycle progression stopped working I decided to pay the $100 and get a paid for and supported product.
This program is riddled with bugs. I've been annoyed by random "MFC Application Error" shutdowns of LogBook. Now I randomly get blank data window screens on logbook, the search filter and the DX cluster. I have a clunky work around.
After several calls to support and hours spent trying their lame fixes, none of which worked, I was asked to scrap my entire install and years of configurations and wipe my system of HRD and then reinstall it, with no guarantee this would fix things. It would take me a long time to crawl back to where I was with years of configuration. So, in an air or cooperation, and since my first year of support was running out, I offered to perform this trial if they would simply renew my support for another year ($50) for free. They declined, so I decided to just live with the bugs and never, ever throw good money against bad with HRD in the future. Goodbye HRD!