Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 396 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

AE5GG Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program with lots of features!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this program for many years. It interfaces very nicely with many of my radios.

I ESPECIALLY love that it will give you the call signs of people on any band that you'd like (e.g. anyone who is frequently logging contacts will show up. You can click on their call sign and your radio will zip you to that frequency. It's GREAT for hunting whatever country you'd like to chat with!)

I can't imagine using my radios without it!

KE4KMG Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 12:33 Send this review to a friend
wonderful program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running for 8+ years and running the current version .613 through the years they have made great upgrades to each of the programs with HRD. I running windows 7 with a Kenwood TS-2000X with no problems. I feel its a wonderful program

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 16:09 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this program, is it easy to set up? NO! Does it do what I want, pretty much except I wish the printing options worked a bit nicer. But after using other I really like this program and its ability to connect to both my IC7600 AND my IC9100 simultaneously via USB cables. I can easily click and go into digital modes and the audio is transferred through those same cables.

Oh and don't use an old slow machine. You will need at least an Core I5. I am running an I7 6700 with a SSD and it runs smooth as silk

The other day I tested out a Bluetooth Accessory dongle on my 817 and and could control that radio as well but it did not transfer the audio.
The program is a bit dis contiguous seems to be a merger of multiple applications but if you know your way around a PC you will be fine.

Let me reiterate, if your not computer savvy this program is probably NOT for you and may be better off using a web based system. But I love this program and never needed their support.

WX4O Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2016 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Mistake  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought it TWICE! Doesn't work right. Deleted it off my 'puter. TWICE. No thanks.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the free version several years ago and did not like it. I thought that DM780 was difficult to use. I decided to give the latest version a try. It is much better than FLDigi. I purchased the software and it works great. Have not had a problem with it. Have not needed to use their support yet but so far so good.

WD8NVN Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2016 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great then Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked good till I updated... HRD = Junk...

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2016 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent logging and station control package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned HRD for over 2 years. I always run the latest version, which is currently 6.3.0.613.

This an an excellent SW package, with a detailed logging module, as well as rig control and other station control functions, and a digital modes module (DM780). I am running on Windows 10, and everything works seamlessly. Prior to that, I used Windows 7, and there were no problems, either.

The logging module is easy to use. It interfaces seamlessly with all of the popular QSL and online logbooks, such as QRZ, eQSL, LoTW, ClubLog, etc. The logbook entry interfaces nicely with QRZ, and prefills in all of the station information into the log entry, as well as their status as a LoTW user, and other details. You do need to have a paid subscription with QRZ in order to have the logbook grab this information (it is NOT a HRD subscription!) The DX Cluster window connects very nicely to the cluster network, and is very reliable. One neat feature is the ability to filter the spots, by needed band/mode, so I only see spots for countries that I need as ATNO, or on a new band or new mode. I can work DX very quickly just by clicking the spot, which tunes the radio frequency and mode, then shows the stations QSL information, and turns my rotator to the correct heading (more on that later).

Rig control works very well. I run a FT-450D. I tend to do most of my fine tuning manually at the radio panel, but the rig control module does have all of the functions available to do this. As mentioned above, the rig control works fast and efficiently when grabbing stations off the DX Cluster.

I use the DM780 digital module mostly for RTTY and PSK. It works very well for both. I used other standalone RTTY and PSK programs prior to installing HRD, but now it's great to have both of those modes included. I wish that they would add JT65 capability. That would be awesome!

The rotator control package is the icing on the cake. I use a Hy-Gain YRC-1 rotator controller, which replaces the manual controller that came with my Yaesu G-450A rotator. The module is easy to setup, and handles all the popular controller protocols. Mine emulates the Hy-Gain DCU-2. It is also easy to program an offset in the heading, which I had to do because of antenna alignment error, plus magnetic compass deviation. After grabbing a station from the cluster, I click the rotator button in the logbook entry, and the rotator is automatically set to the station heading. While the rotator is turning, I can be tuning my amp and getting ready. This saves precious seconds when an ATNO DX contact is at stake, and has paid off many times.

I have also used the parallel port control feature to operate various antenna relays, which is handy. There are a host of other nice little features, too many to list here. I like the solar cycle progression window, and also the awards tracking features. The program also has a remote server module, but I have not investigated remote operation capability.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and this SW is no exception. To me, it is well worth the subscription renewal rate. It is very well done, and contrary to other opinions, I have found the support to be top notch on the very few occasions that I have had to use it. I believe that most of the problems are due to user's not reading the manual, and improper configuration. The SW, being very complex, is kept up to date as efficiently as possible, given the number of new rigs that are entering the market.

I highly recommend HRD, and have found that it suits all of my station control and logging needs.

AB6CC Rating: 0/5 Dec 16, 2016 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Adios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had used this software for over a year. After many problems some bug fixes finally allowed me some stability for the most part. Recently the stability was lost and I had had enough and uninstalled the program intending to just reinstall. However, since my activation key had expired I would have had to purchase the software all over again.
I'm doing fine with logger4om now.
Fortunately I had backed up my log in two other places so I lost nothing therefore.

N3LK Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2016 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Get What You Pay For   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been successfully using Ham Radio Deluxe for last 6-7 years, and contributed every season to help Simon’s (original HRD developer) efforts to create a wonderful integrated Ham Radio control/logging system . . . even if it was “free” software. Simon dedicated a large chunk of his life to helping Hams around the world writing/fixing HRD code. I appreciate his work, and the new owners keeping his legacy alive and thriving!.

The new owners (Version 6.x) have made many new and significant improvements, and stability is MUCH improved . . . even for 20+ year old rigs running on decade old PCs with ancient operating systems. Service support is solid. IMO they deserve to be compensated for this work.

I gladly paid for the upgrade and annual subscriptions because I have tried the “free” and “low-cost” alternatives and they are not worth spending my time trying to piece together a HRD wannabee system! Previous versions of HRD (5.x or older) are not supported and are doomed with future HW/OS evolutions.

Is HRD perfect? It is a complex set of integrated software tools which takes some effort to master and appreciate. If you can’t afford $99, not willing to actually read instructions, or have minimal PC/Radio competence, then move on to the “free” stuff and maybe back to CB radio?

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2016 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Re-review - Love it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great program - complex but does anything and everthing I can think of. Love the CW interface with Winkeyer and DM-780. It does freeze occasionally but that is usually when I choose a piece of hardware that isn't present or the wrong com port. With a little patience it all works well.