Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 457 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

HP3AK Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2017 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Update on v6.3.0.613  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to a much earlier review. I gave it a 4 rather than a 5 as I don't yet have a lot of experience with the latest features. *I was one of several ?? who were blacklisted by a former owner of the company and could not upgrade nor reinstall version 6. This has now been corrected.

Many early bugs have been fixed and the program works pretty much as expected now. For the purchase price you get a number of new or upgraded features over the old free version. The expanded WSI (worked status indicators) in the DX Cluster spots is a great upgrade. I am sure that there are others that I have not used yet.

It would be helpful if the company would indicate whether a new release is a maintenance / bug fix or a new feature release. If both, I assume that you can install it but the new features will be inactive if your support has expired.

M0STO Rating: 0/5 Jan 7, 2017 07:46 Send this review to a friend
If it ain't broke, don't fix it....right!!!?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For me to write a damning review....it's very rare... however the software has been messed about with too much. I had v5.? versions for years and it worked great, installed the trial ov 6.? and it deleted my old version (or overwrote the majority), lost many log files, lost settings... lost nearly everything including many macros for PSK31 etc. Then the satellite and Rotator software would not work and crashed. I was bombarded with prompts to buy the software and went through some potty process to get a temporary license. I admit the time I used it I found problems with the 5.? version but none that really affected the running (mostly connection issues) with the new version I was told I needed a subscription to solve my problems). It's buggy and slow since I upgraded and for a software that has not changed to much since the upgrade...what the hell have the software engineers done to it to break it so bad? If the software was 25 or even 20 then I would not begrudge buying it but really glad I didn't as for $99... what are these people doing between getting Gold teeth fitted. from free to $99 for exactly the same software....like driving a car with hole in the gas tank...isn't it? Now I am stuck as I had to dig really deep on the Internet for the old version and ask a lot of people to see if they had it, macros still gone and setting all screwed up...but it works. I heard about the Blacklist thingy....not to sure about that...sounds a bit fishy...like a smear campaign, however if its true....shame on you guys. Fix the bugs and start getting some positive reviews, rather than Blacklisting people.....I fall on the side of a smear campaign. 0/5 for me. I am giving it a Zero because it deleted all my settings and I have to pay to get help that was once free. Lastly, I was running HRD 5.? when a prompt came up for me to upgrade. I fugured it was from 5.? to a better version of 5.? but it was to 6.?... big mistake.

KC2TUX Rating: 0/5 Jan 6, 2017 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the free price!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I tried it and was not at all impressed with it. Do not waste your time, and do not purchase the $99.00 version. Join the blacklisted SUB section.

KE4KMG Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 12:33 Send this review to a friend
wonderful program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running for 8+ years and running the current version .613 through the years they have made great upgrades to each of the programs with HRD. I running windows 7 with a Kenwood TS-2000X with no problems. I feel its a wonderful program

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2016 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used FLDigi for many years but recently moved over to the latest version of HRD Digital Master 780. It is much better. FLDigi just seems so dated. Glad I went with Ham Radio Deluxe it works very well.

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 16:09 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this program, is it easy to set up? NO! Does it do what I want, pretty much except I wish the printing options worked a bit nicer. But after using other I really like this program and its ability to connect to both my IC7600 AND my IC9100 simultaneously via USB cables. I can easily click and go into digital modes and the audio is transferred through those same cables.

Oh and don't use an old slow machine. You will need at least an Core I5. I am running an I7 6700 with a SSD and it runs smooth as silk

The other day I tested out a Bluetooth Accessory dongle on my 817 and and could control that radio as well but it did not transfer the audio.
The program is a bit dis contiguous seems to be a merger of multiple applications but if you know your way around a PC you will be fine.

Let me reiterate, if your not computer savvy this program is probably NOT for you and may be better off using a web based system. But I love this program and never needed their support.

WX4O Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2016 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Mistake  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought it TWICE! Doesn't work right. Deleted it off my 'puter. TWICE. No thanks.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2016 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the free version several years ago and did not like it. I thought that DM780 was difficult to use. I decided to give the latest version a try. It is much better than FLDigi. I purchased the software and it works great. Have not had a problem with it. Have not needed to use their support yet but so far so good.

WD8NVN Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2016 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great then Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked good till I updated... HRD = Junk...

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2016 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent logging and station control package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned HRD for over 2 years. I always run the latest version, which is currently 6.3.0.613.

This an an excellent SW package, with a detailed logging module, as well as rig control and other station control functions, and a digital modes module (DM780). I am running on Windows 10, and everything works seamlessly. Prior to that, I used Windows 7, and there were no problems, either.

The logging module is easy to use. It interfaces seamlessly with all of the popular QSL and online logbooks, such as QRZ, eQSL, LoTW, ClubLog, etc. The logbook entry interfaces nicely with QRZ, and prefills in all of the station information into the log entry, as well as their status as a LoTW user, and other details. You do need to have a paid subscription with QRZ in order to have the logbook grab this information (it is NOT a HRD subscription!) The DX Cluster window connects very nicely to the cluster network, and is very reliable. One neat feature is the ability to filter the spots, by needed band/mode, so I only see spots for countries that I need as ATNO, or on a new band or new mode. I can work DX very quickly just by clicking the spot, which tunes the radio frequency and mode, then shows the stations QSL information, and turns my rotator to the correct heading (more on that later).

Rig control works very well. I run a FT-450D. I tend to do most of my fine tuning manually at the radio panel, but the rig control module does have all of the functions available to do this. As mentioned above, the rig control works fast and efficiently when grabbing stations off the DX Cluster.

I use the DM780 digital module mostly for RTTY and PSK. It works very well for both. I used other standalone RTTY and PSK programs prior to installing HRD, but now it's great to have both of those modes included. I wish that they would add JT65 capability. That would be awesome!

The rotator control package is the icing on the cake. I use a Hy-Gain YRC-1 rotator controller, which replaces the manual controller that came with my Yaesu G-450A rotator. The module is easy to setup, and handles all the popular controller protocols. Mine emulates the Hy-Gain DCU-2. It is also easy to program an offset in the heading, which I had to do because of antenna alignment error, plus magnetic compass deviation. After grabbing a station from the cluster, I click the rotator button in the logbook entry, and the rotator is automatically set to the station heading. While the rotator is turning, I can be tuning my amp and getting ready. This saves precious seconds when an ATNO DX contact is at stake, and has paid off many times.

I have also used the parallel port control feature to operate various antenna relays, which is handy. There are a host of other nice little features, too many to list here. I like the solar cycle progression window, and also the awards tracking features. The program also has a remote server module, but I have not investigated remote operation capability.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, and this SW is no exception. To me, it is well worth the subscription renewal rate. It is very well done, and contrary to other opinions, I have found the support to be top notch on the very few occasions that I have had to use it. I believe that most of the problems are due to user's not reading the manual, and improper configuration. The SW, being very complex, is kept up to date as efficiently as possible, given the number of new rigs that are entering the market.

I highly recommend HRD, and have found that it suits all of my station control and logging needs.