Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 348 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KB3ZNL Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 07:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SOFTWARE AND EVEN BETTER TECH SUPPORT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Upgraded to v 6.2.4.280 and had a few little problems. Called in to Tech Support and got right thru on first call and fixed up in 5 minutes. Really good service. The HRD software suite is great and so it the tech support!

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
HRD is a difficult pgm to learn and use. On many occasions I was tempted to try something else but they were never as feature filled as HRD. I am still running the free version. I realize that it cost time to operate and maintain the software. I understand that Rick, et al must earn a return on their investment. It is a great piece of software and I heartily recommend it to anyone working the digital modes.

AD0EY Rating: 2/5 Jun 25, 2014 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Correction and update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seems that you can't edit reviews once posted. I heard from Tim about my installation issues, with an offer to help and a clarification that support is available, even during the trial without a support subscription.

After reviewing our firewall logs, it looks like the software is attempting a callout to the HRD license server on port 3162, which we have blocked. I'm not inclined to start opening up firewall ports for one app, so I'm going to reluctantly pass on this. Your situation will likely be different than mine, so this is no reflection on the quality of the software, other than that connection errors should pop up a friendly error message rather than simply locking up the application.

KJ5XF Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2014 14:34 Send this review to a friend
3/5..Copy not too good, .Intermittent crashes (version 6.2)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Decided to give HRD/DM780 a try since I had been using another digital mode program for over 10 years. Long story short:

DM780 has a lot of nice features. However, even after configuring the soundcard, copy is not too good. I set the TX audio output on my K3 such that bars 1->4 are on solid, with the 5th bar flickering. TX signal reports are good and no reports of splatter. I set the RX audio input to ~80%. But even with a clearly visible OLIVIA 500/16 signal on the waterfall, copy is about 80 to 90% at best...As a reference point, I can use MixW, MultiPSK with the same hardware (Elecraft K3, Signalink USB) and they work just fine.
I have set the tune_margin to 4 and Sync Depth to 8 based on some feedback from a fellow ham who has been using an older version of HRD. However setting those values hasn't helped..

To make things even more challenging, I have had random crashes while using DM780....I contacted HRD support and even on a Sunday afternoon they responded (GREAT support HRD.. Kudos to Tim!)
The random crashes are a tad frustrating to the say the least.

Hopefully, things will straighten out, but this latest version of HRD/DM780 that I picked up at HamCom last weekend has been a challenging experience to say the least...

AJ7G Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic program plus excellent support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using HRD for years and I love it. Got a corrupted database from another contest logging program and was causing HRD and me a lot of problems with HRD Ver 6.2. Notified support and they performed a remote access on my computer. With their diligence, perseverance, professionalism and time put HRD back to excellent operating status. The HRD is once again a real treat and pleasure to operate. I've never received better support from any product. Thanks HRD team!
Randy AJ7G

KK4WMG Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2014 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HRD is the best software hands down to any other programs I have tried. It has the best support of any vendor known to the Amatuer Radio client. I am new to the hobby and experienced some difficulty with the initial install. The support staff walked me thru the process with great ease and had me up and running, with some tutorial advice along the way. Thank you, HRD! I would recommend this to any Ham anytime!

W6GEE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 12:42 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many failed attempts to get tech support from Log Windows (stay away from that vendor!), I turned to HRD to handle my logging issues I couldn't solve with LW. During my HRD trial period, their tech support guided me to a fix for my ADIF file that became corrupted in my LW logging program. This was a fix I tried to get from LW for several months without any response. Finally, I gave up on LW and took the plunge into HRD, which I think is the best choice in ham software I've made in my 46 years of hamming.

The added bonus of HRD's logging program is that this is a fully integrated suite of ham radio software that actually exceeds my practical needs, as I don't really need all the bells and whistles of a full-blown software package. I do love the capability and ease of use with DM780. Seems as though most of the main features of HRD are fairly intuitive to figure out without a lot of head-scratching that I've experienced with some other programs. Map features are also really nice to have too.

For a little more than a casual operator such as myself, HRD will definitely exceed your basic software needs, and is a very reliable and stable program. I think this program will also leave a lot of room to expand into more sophisticated uses as well. HRD might cost a few more bucks than some hams are willing to spend, but this is definitely well worth the money!

KG5WR Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the HRD package for several years and really enjoy it. Had a problem with getting the logbook to open on version 6.2 I called support and spoke with a very smart and friendly man named Tim. He remoted into my PC and had the problem fixed in no time. Could not be happier. Great product with great support.

K4BLM Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Much needed helping hand  Time owned: more than 12 months
Before I bought and installed HRD..lots of frustration...once it was operational.. how did I run efficiently without it? So many features included and more added in each timely update. I suggest that the online manuals and/or videos be used to expedite install and kick start using it. Should there be ANY difficulty,support is readily available. Tim is there for you and in a phone he can guide you through the process. I called him several times to assist me in fine tuning HRD for my particular needs. He's a master of the software. HRD is truly a wonderful addition to my enjoying my radio time.

W6HDG Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Don't hesitate....  Time owned: more than 12 months
We all like free. It is hard to compete with free. But the $99 version of HRD 6 is so amazing, I consider it the best money I have spent on my station in years. I used to use the free version, but the new owners have implemented lots of features I can't live without such as 'Worked Status Indicators' which immediately show if you need someone on the cluster to add a new band, mode or country. HRD is not one program, it is a suite of integrated programs that all work together. I use dual monitors so I have HRD Rig Control, Logbook and Digital Master all up at the same time for everything at my fingertips.

HRD uses a single COM port (or USB serial port) to integrate all the programs and functionality. It even connects to other DDE Windows compatible programs such as NaP3 Panadapter software which I used with an LP-PAN IF interface. So one serial port does it all for me - I don't need an expensive COM port sharing device such as Microham, etc.

You can start with just Rig Control and then add the other apps as you learn the ropes. It even has Rotor Control and Satellite modules. This software is very powerful and full featured so you may need some support - but I've found the support to be superb from the new HRD team and the forums to be full of seasoned, helpful users.

73, Howard W6HDG