Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 348 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
After all the hub bub, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I've been using HRD since Simon Brown days and purchased the upgrade with support when it was first announced. I had some issues but when I emailed Rick Puhl or submitted a help ticket, it was resolved within 24 hours. The CAT works excellent with my Rig Expert Standard and the non-CAT Signalink USB as well. Like anything else in life, different strokes for different folks. Pay or go the free unsupported route or shop elsewhere.

KA6OTJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Old Free ver 5..23 still works perfect for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using HRD for many years and it does everything I have asked it to do and does it well. Most of the complaints seem to be from folks with the new ver 6 software. I just stick with the old version and I am very happy with it. I use it to control my radio (pro lll), for logging, for sending qls's both Eqsl and LOTW. The only thing that I ever had trouble with was when I went to a windows 7 computer without a serial port. the computer would hang up and would not communicate with the radio. It turned out to be a hardware and not a software problem. The problem was with the USB to serial converter cable. Once I changed to a cable with a FTDI chip set all was well again. Oh ya and for the price of free I don't see myself in a position to complan even if I had a complaint. I would just try something else.

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Lots of misinformation in reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD since 4.1. I am using 6.0 currently and looking forward to 6.1.

Many of the comments contain erroneous info. First, HRD does cost $99 to purchase the software. It also comes with one year of support and updates. If after that year, it's doing everything you want, then there is no need to purchase additional support or updates for $60 per year. You can also pick up support 2, 3 or more years down the road for what the 1 year support cost will be at that time. This support purchase is optional. However, without it, not only do you NOT get telephone or E-Mail support, you don't get new updates, patches or enhancements.

One of the major causes of HRD lockups is using an interface of dubious quality. I have used ICOM interfaces with both real serial connections and a good quality USB to serial adapter as well as MicroHam interfaces. None of these have caused issues. I have seen people with dollar store specials and online merchants USB to serial adapters have all types of issues with HRD. Key here is to get a good quality interface.

You can stay with HRD v 5.XX and not pay a dime. Do not expect additional support or updates.

I hope this clarifies some myths on this great product that simplifies Ham Shack Automation and the Administration of your QSL records.

Pricing is current as of the date written. I have no affiliation with HRD, other than a satisfied customer and someone who supports other hams online via forums.

KG3Z Rating: 2/5 Jul 1, 2013 16:32 Send this review to a friend
There are MUCH better alternatives  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used HRD for about 3 years. Seems to have a steady march down hill ever since Simon left. Unstable decoders/readers (on 3 machines), very unreliable CAT operation, hanging the system frequently. Now they expect a $99 ANNUAL fee? They are out of their minds. Switched over to CommCat just over a year ago with excellent results and near real-time customer service.

G0AFQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 12:18 Send this review to a friend
A terrific suite of programs.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD for many years now and was sorry when it started to wither on the vine, but now its new owners are breathing fresh life into it. It's true that there are some bugs to iron out but I accept that as this is a work in progress. It is a complex suite of programs that will do just about everything that the radio enthusiast could wish for.
I use HRD version 6 to control my HPSDR set up, and also when following satellites on my FT-847. I will continue to recommend this wholeheartedly

W0CKI Rating: 1/5 Jun 30, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Crappy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never was a good product and now when you have to pay for it, it's a loser. Save your money and look at alternatives.

WY4J Rating: 0/5 Jun 30, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Not a good product anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using HRD since 2007. Currently I have V4.1. Foe the last couple of years my main rig is a Kenwood TS-590 and V4 does not support this rig. I tried their older version and although it install without a problem my computer begins to lock up and crash at inopportune times. I uninstall it and re instal V4.1 and all is fine. I ave tried this on every version after 4.1 and it always preforms the same way. Not wasting my time with this worthless product nor will I dare send them my money or pay an annual fee for a product that is proven not to work as advertised. Sorry HRD, you had a wonderful product until money got in the way. What a shame.

ON7HLU Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent   Time owned: more than 12 months
it work good but stil waiting for some new update
i use hrd 6,0 and happy for now

N0AH Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2013 09:20 Send this review to a friend
6.0 a few bugs with DXCC ID  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with a few others- I was really expecting a lot more obvious enhancements with 6.0.....I just downloaded 10 days ago- maybe some cool maps, etc......and I had a poor experience with calling customer support as the person I was speaking to became very frustrated looking in the manual?? (My LoTW certificate expired and I thought it was an HRD issue, I figured it out) Anyway, still a great product but why anything that starts with a U is logged as EU Russia is frustration ++- I have to manually update ever log entry from UY,UT,US,UM,UX, UK, etc....it's a long list- also have had other DXCC mis'ID'd.....CT9 for example- going back to Version 5 for now- Also, really disagree with $60 a year or what ever for an anuual licnese- I'd pay a one time fee of $149 for the software +-?? I love HRD and hope these issues can be fixed soon-

NT9E Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2013 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Waiting for more enhancements  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using HRD for a couple of years now and pre-paid for V6 last April and finally got it in Jan 2013. Still waiting for FSK to implemented properly.