Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 460 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

AA5EP Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2015 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Good & Getting Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HRD has integrated with my TS-2000 radio seamlessly. To be honest, I do not use it to control my rig as much as I use the Digital Master and Logbook functions. The various features integrate nicely into a working suite of S/W. This S/W does have a bit of a learning curve associated with it, but with all of the online articles, manuals, FAQs, forums, etc.. I have always found the information I am looking for. The two times I have called for support, I have been helped quickly, professionally, and politely.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But with the investment, time, and effort being put into fixing bugs and developing more features, the $99 cost seems reasonable to me. No one should be expected to develop new code, fix existing bugs, provide support, etc... without being compensated. The price buys me 1-year of updates and support. After a year, I will decide if I want to renew at 1/2 price to keep the support and updates.

HRD keep up the good work!

K4EEY Rating: 0/5 May 19, 2015 18:20 Send this review to a friend
DM780  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought Ham Radio Deluxe last year and it has never worked properly. DM780 times out in about 15 minutes. I have contacted Ham Radio Deluxe on several occasions and submitted the appropriate trouble request. I have had only one reply and they said to download the latest version. I did and the same problem. I cannot use HRD for PSK31 with HAM Radio Deluxe. I have since started using DIGIPAN for PSK31. It is reliable and does not cost $99.00. Also I sometime use FLDIGI as it is very reliable also. Ham Radio Deluxe has not backed up their promise of Support. I would not recommend them from my experience.

KI6LQL Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Great program great support  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HRD logbook can do almost anything I want it to do and still has unexplored features. When my logbook got corrupted and wouldn't show up, Tim in technical support spent two hours and twenty minutes untangling the problem and then restoring from a backup. I'm an unprofitable but very committed customer. HRD Digital Master is my favorite program from PSK31 and other digital modes, after trying several.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Still Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 2+ years with the paid version, it still rocks. Had several issues/questions and tech support responded within 24 hours. Tried other free software but HRD will always be my first choice.

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 07:51 Send this review to a friend
It pulls me back  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a refugee from the old free days. I can't remember all the times I tried other digital programs. There would always be an issue so I would go back to HRD. I was not happy when it became a fee for service situation. I never did upgrade. My setup still works well. I have one of the last upgrades from when the software was free. For me, HRD is still a keeper.

KD8OPI Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 03:13 Send this review to a friend
I tried to leave, but it kept pulling me back in!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, its everyone's favorite whipping boy, HRD version 6. I had it when it was free, bought it when it wasn't, tried to leave it for another program, but came back to it after I was dissatisfied. It could be a love story, but its not - its just control software.

Background: 5 year hobbyist, took breaks for personal reasons over the years, but never for more than a year. Elecraft K3, Icom 7000, Yaesu 817nd owner. HRD user for 5 yrs.

Everyone loves to hate HRD, but then everyone has it or has tried it. Its like your cable company. So why are there hundreds of reviews for it compared to other control programs? Well, it once was free and magnificent for what you got for free, and still, even when it was free, people would complain about it. But, when it began to cost $100, people (myself included) began to really bag on it. It never seemed that the promise of the new owners met reality. They were slow in getting upgrades out, and you'd see messages like "Everyone has the flu, we aren't available to help you today" on their website. Not a way to run a business. So I get the frustration with HRD. Not a fanboy.

This weekend, I tried 3 other control programs. Each costs about $100, each has "5.0" reviews from a few dozen people.

Suffice it to say I was unimpressed. Most of these programs lack one of three things: RELATIVELY intuitive control, ease of integration with other programs, and cheapness- they're all expensive.

So after I tried 3 other control programs, (N4PY, TRX, Win4K3) I stopped. I was looking at buying logging programs, downloading software for virtual comports,downloading software for digital modes; and I thought to myself: "Why the hell am I doing this? HRD has all of this integrated, it supports all of your radios, its less expensive by the time you add up the additional programs, and at least the latest version works really well with all of your radios."

So I'm done. I tried the rest, and they did not measure up. I'm sticking with HRD, the other programs I mentioned are 2-4/5 and honestly HRD is a 4.5. Its the best thing you can buy for complete control of your radio, rotor, logbook, digi modes and satcom. Its easier to use than the other programs, and it seems to be working really well. It took the current owners too long to update Simon's program and get it running smoothly for a commercial product for what they charged, but they seem to be in the zone now.

So just like your cable company, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and realize that as much as you may not like paying them, they offer the most services for the best price. Thats HRD.

Caveat, I have a Mac laptop, and MacLogger seems and reviews like it may be a good program, I'll try it and let you know.

AE8J Rating: 3/5 Apr 9, 2015 07:51 Send this review to a friend
HRD Review Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an update of an earlier review. Ever since I purchased version 6.2.8.324 I had nothing but trouble with digital master. After repeated emails and phone calls to tech support their only answer was that the problems were with my computer. Last week version 6.2.9.355 was posted on the HDR website. After downloading and installing, lo and behold all my so-called computer problems magically went away! Digital Master now works okay.

I can only rate this software a 3 because it still has a lot of bugs but now its at least usable.

K5OA Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2015 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Use it daily  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using since maybe free version by Simon and now loaded latest 6.2.9.354 and what a improvement. Had one issue with split operation on IC7600 and this version fixes it so am a happy users. I do 90% of my operating in remote control so it is all up to HRD and my Dell PC for working all modes.
I do use VNC Tight to control a local PC at the remote site to handle the amp and allow full use of RTTY and PSK modes. Had issue with support ticket system and Katie was very helpful today. Looks like verizon.net is blocking HRD support ticket system. I find it worth the mondy for a super set of intergrated software functions. Bes tis new uploading of logs to ClubLog, LoTW and HRDLOG.net so easy! Love it. Thanks Katiew and Tim for yoru support today. 73, Russ K5OA

NI4S Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am running a Yaesu FT-450D with this software on a desktop and laptop. Had minor problem setting up the desktop computer and called tech support. They were very friendly and patient and it was a fairly quick fix. The laptop would not allow the logbook data file to set up. Called tech support again. They spent a good 3 hours fixing the problem that was on my laptop not their software. I love the features of the logbook entries and would highly recommend this product! They have the best tech service of any I have ever used and I look forward to learning the other features that are available with this software package.

KR4OM Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
HRD software working great after working with a Tech team that   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the HRD suite of software to be able to Control, Log.and Digital in one package. I have a Mac and decided to use Parallels and Windows to control my Kenwood TS-590s.

After the setup all the functions seem to work except the digital program DM780 but after working with a great group of techs and some great advice from another Ham it is know working just as we planned.

The software may not be perfect but who has perfect software.
The thing that impresses' me is there resolution to find a answer to my problem.