Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 354 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

K5YRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Top notch support  Time owned: more than 12 months
64-bit Windows 8.1 does not support the supplied drivers for the Access-based HRD Logbook. After several days of trying to fix it myself, I contacted support. Tim went through all of the motions and when we couldn't get it to work, he accessed my computer remotely and installed the MySQL database as an alternate to using the Access database.

Tim is extremely skilled, knowledgeable, professional and courteous. He patiently took the time to explain what he was doing and stayed on line following the installation to be sure I was comfortable with it and that everything worked as it should.

The modest annual support fee is worth every penny.

As a side note, I saw Rick in Orlando this past spring and suggested that the State field on the DM780 Add Log Entry toolbar be placed near the QTH field. Having it there were eliminate the need to go to the second tab when chasing states. A couple of months later, there it was.

These guys do a great job. They listen and take action.
WB4LMH Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I started with another logging program that was a little difficult to set up. A fellow ham suggested HRD and came over to help me with the set up of the free 5.x version. It worked so well with me being able to upload all my contacts to Logbook of the World plus lots of other features that when the 6.0 paid version came out, I bought it. After several revisions of the program and the 1 year support and the upgrade subscription feature, I needed help.So I contacted Tim with HRD who with a lot of patience, solved all of my problems. What a blessing and what a program.
K9IUQ Rating: 2/5 Nov 19, 2013 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Not for the DXer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used HRD off/on since the early 2000s. I never used it full time as a logger as other loggers were much better. Mostly I used it for DM780.

Recently I tried the HRD Version 6 via the free trial. I liked many of the new features such as FSK support. I paid the $100. This was a mistake on my part, I should have checked out the program more thoroughly before I plunked my money down. HRD is a program that does many things, unfortunately it has a below average ham logger.

As an avid DXer I expect lots of bells and whistles to make my DXing easier. HRD has basic Dxer logger support and lacks many important features. Here are just a few examples.
1. The Winkeyer Support is Flakey to the point I stopped using Winkeyer.
2.Something extra gets sent in the RTTY mode giving the signal a 2 second squelch tail.
3. No support for DXAtlas or Hamcap and refusal from a HRD rep to implement support even though every DX logger supports these fine 2 programs.
4. The DX Cluster Spotter page is not good.. One has to really work at setting up filters for the spotter page. Also you can not even do a simple basic thing like sort by call or country or distance etc. Sort by time only.
5.HRD chokes on split frequency DX spots. Click on a Dx spot that has a split and 9 times out of ten it gets the split wrong even putting the split on a different band. I have seen a up 2 spot on 18080 set the split on 1.808. This can be interesting if you are not paying attention and have an AMP. Other loggers get it right.

HRD support is lacking, in fact I think peer support was better when Simon was doing the programming. Post a suggestion on the HRD website and a rep may proceed to explain why your idea has no merit. Also do not be too critical of HRD, your Post will get deleted. I have seen entire threads go bye-bye. I suggest looking for HRD info here on eham and not the HRD forums. Also be aware if you post anything critical about HRD on the eham reviews and give them a 3 or less on an review they now have a special thread on the forum just for you called Rebuttal.

After trying HRD Version 6 for a few months I ended up going back to my previous logger. I made a big mistake. $100 bye bye. Dxers stay away from HRD, There are much better loggers for a DXer and they all cost less than HRD. Casual Hams, especially digital ops may find merit in HRD, but I am not a casual Ham.

Will HRD get better? I hope so.If it does I will download the new and improved version and try it out again.There are many things I do like about HRD. I will however not give HRD any more $$
KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Takes it to the next level !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am currently using HRO 6 on an HP WIN 8 laptop with my IC7000 in an ARES Go Box. The program really makes it easy to control the rig, control my HAM IV (at home), complete my logbook, and find DX stations around the world. The QRZ interface makes it very easy to get additional information for my log due to the HRD internet interface.

The only issue I am having with the program is the fact that the Digital Master (DM 780) does not compare to FLDIGI when it comes to ease of use and productivity.

I still have to give it a 5 because it does a superb job of controlling every, and I mean every function of the IC7000.

I must confess that I am a bit of a computer hack so I did not experience any of the issues others may have had with setup. For me...HRD 6 simply works!!
W8RID Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Program Easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved it when it was free and I love it now that it is not. It is easy to use if you take it a step at a time. No program is going to function properly until you get it tweaked to your system and what you want. HRD works great for me. Support has been great. All support issues I had were issues with settings that I had set wrong. Most of the complaints about HRD is because they are charging for it now. The initial purchase cost is fair for what you get. The yearly maintenance cost for support is also fair for the fantastic support you receive. It is now part of a business. Would you give away your products if you were a business owner?
Someone complained about it not working with their system. Why were you still using V4.1??
I would highly recommend HRD to anyone. I just got the DM-780 set up and running great 3 days ago. It was simple.
Buy it. It is worth the money!!!
NQ3C Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2013 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Not for beginners!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
... Probably a good product, but it did not work for me. Spent about 3 days and 8 hours total trying to get it going. Was a very frustrating experience, even though Teamviewer was used. It is a very complex program for a non-digital type such as I. The Rep even offered to come out and set it up, but never could coordinate a time to suit both of us. Finally just chunked it all in and HRD did refund my purchase price. I will not recommend it unless you are or have someone who is a digital geek and understands all the acronyms and menus and sub menus, of which HRD has a bunch.. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary....c..
KB2GCG Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Great software , gets better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD/DM780/Logging combination software for some time now. Yes, there are still bugs in the latest version 6.1, but there are far far fewer than there used to be in the unpaid version. Tech support is unparalleled, often working with me beyond the stated support hours due to my special needs. I wish there was some better communications with new point releases in terms of items fixed/new features, but that's a minor nit when taken in the overall view. This set of programs is the one and ONLY reason I have a PC in my otherwise all Mac household. *smile*.

DM780 continues to improve in terms of digital modes, radio control is great (using it with a Kenwood ts-440 and an Icom IC-7000) as wel..
WF2S Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2013 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this product for over 6 years and will continue to use HRD every day. I admit that many features are not use by me, but the hobby encompasses so many different aspects that a comprehensive program that has active support by the developers is a positive ! I have submitted some complaints and queries that were promptly addressed. I look forward to further refinements.
HRD was used on my last trip to J6 and functioned with no problem other than an operator error! The program works well with a K3, IC-7700 and a Ten Tec Eagle. It allows me to log QSOs, upload to LotW, download and print labels.. QRZ interface, explore new modes.. There is a learning curve and with time and effort, I seem to have the features I use regularly well under control.
I still use MixW for PSK contesting because of the detailed set up for European based contests is done exclusively for MixW, but as the mode grows, and my experience at contest set up improves, HRD will fill that niche.

KZ6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using HRD Version 6 software since its first release and the program has been very good and is getting better all the time. I use it for logging, rotor control and my digital work. The SSTV program in DM-780 is now very easy to use and will add your SSTV contacts to your log. Yes they need to add a few more buttons and sliders to some of the rig control programs and I would like to see another mode or two in the SSTV program like B/W 8 and 16 for contesting. The program is young and I feel the programmers will continue add more items that users want as time goes on. Well worth the money and when I needed help I got the support to fix the problem.
W4EG Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Flex radio 6700 and HRD  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a user of HRD for more than 10 years. I'm currently using the pay version 6 with the Flex Radios. In the past, I used HRD with the following Flex radios F-1K/1.5K/3K and the 5K with great satisfaction.
I recently purchased the Flex-6700GPSDO and I was having issues with the installation and operations of HRD ver.6 with VSPManager, DDUtil, and MiniDeluxe etc...
I contacted FlexRadio System for advice to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problems.
Flex suggested to disable all the old software and to just load HRD v.6, SmartSDR and Smart CAT.
To my surprised; the software loaded, the radio was communicating with Smart CAT, HRD, DM780, antenna rotator, logbook, DX Cluster: All my monitors were displaying their files without any intervention from me.
I can only say that I am pleased after wasting so much time trying to configuring FLDIGI and MixW to see HRD do it all and so well.
I'm exceptionally happy to use HRD and highly recommend it. 73, W4EG