Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 353 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KG6MZV Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Great product with great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed new download and product locked up on starting logbook. I called Tim KB3NPH at Ham Radio Deluxe. He immediately identified a Windows problem, took over operation of the computer, and solved the problem. He also helped me get Ham Radio Deluxe to key my transmitter from the software. Great service and great product. I plan to pay for service when my first year expires as HRD are very knowledgeable on radio interfacing issues.

K3WU Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2013 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Service Above and Beyond!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will first admit that I am not the best on computers, software, etc. I have had the free version of HRD for several years and it worked well for me. I then downloaded the trial version of HRD and immediately had issues. Contacted Tim and he spent a VERY LONG time with me on the phone troubleshooting my issues. Turns out that it was the new anti-virus software that I had recently installed that was causing the problem. After Tim diagnosed and corrected the issue, he then spent more time with me to provide an overview of the latest version of HRD, the logging features, DX cluster (which I had never used), CW keying, etc. He was willing to spend more time but I had to QRT with him.

Needless to say, I am purchasing HRD. I was very impressed with the service. Tim was patient and instructive and clearly, very enthusiastic about the product. Hard to beat the combination of features and service. Thanks Tim!

Jim
K3WU

WA8FEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had problems getting my Ten Tec Eagle to communicate with my computer using HRD Ver 6. It wasn't the radio or HRD's fault, it was me! I contacted Support@hrdsoftwarellc.com and Tim got my computer and HRD talking to my Eagle and all is fine. I love the software and even more, love the support at HRD.

Good work Tim. Thanks for all your help.

Gary - WA8FEA

W2FBS Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2013 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Works Great for Me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased 6.0 at Dayton. When I got home I had a bit of trouble with it and emailed HRD. I got a very quick return email with suggestions on what to do to fix the problem. Those suggestions did the trick for me. I interface it to a 7700 with a RigExpert interface, No lock up problems, no blue screens. Just works. Works for all bands, digital modes, logging etc.

The trouble I had was simple cockpit error. If I had read the info on the web site before loading it in the computer, I would have saved time and frustration.

Give these guys a chance to iron out any bugs in the software and in their customer service. Were you not young once?

W0DHB Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Good multifunctional Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using HRD product line since 2008.
I was glad to see it W4PC and the gang pick it up and breathe new life into it.
Enjoying new 6.0 features especially in HRD Logger and DM780.
Anxiously awaiting SAT Tracker improvements.
Don't mind nominal annual fee as long as improvements keep coming.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
After all the hub bub, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I've been using HRD since Simon Brown days and purchased the upgrade with support when it was first announced. I had some issues but when I emailed Rick Puhl or submitted a help ticket, it was resolved within 24 hours. The CAT works excellent with my Rig Expert Standard and the non-CAT Signalink USB as well. Like anything else in life, different strokes for different folks. Pay or go the free unsupported route or shop elsewhere.

KA6OTJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Old Free ver 5..23 still works perfect for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using HRD for many years and it does everything I have asked it to do and does it well. Most of the complaints seem to be from folks with the new ver 6 software. I just stick with the old version and I am very happy with it. I use it to control my radio (pro lll), for logging, for sending qls's both Eqsl and LOTW. The only thing that I ever had trouble with was when I went to a windows 7 computer without a serial port. the computer would hang up and would not communicate with the radio. It turned out to be a hardware and not a software problem. The problem was with the USB to serial converter cable. Once I changed to a cable with a FTDI chip set all was well again. Oh ya and for the price of free I don't see myself in a position to complan even if I had a complaint. I would just try something else.

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2013 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Lots of misinformation in reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD since 4.1. I am using 6.0 currently and looking forward to 6.1.

Many of the comments contain erroneous info. First, HRD does cost $99 to purchase the software. It also comes with one year of support and updates. If after that year, it's doing everything you want, then there is no need to purchase additional support or updates for $60 per year. You can also pick up support 2, 3 or more years down the road for what the 1 year support cost will be at that time. This support purchase is optional. However, without it, not only do you NOT get telephone or E-Mail support, you don't get new updates, patches or enhancements.

One of the major causes of HRD lockups is using an interface of dubious quality. I have used ICOM interfaces with both real serial connections and a good quality USB to serial adapter as well as MicroHam interfaces. None of these have caused issues. I have seen people with dollar store specials and online merchants USB to serial adapters have all types of issues with HRD. Key here is to get a good quality interface.

You can stay with HRD v 5.XX and not pay a dime. Do not expect additional support or updates.

I hope this clarifies some myths on this great product that simplifies Ham Shack Automation and the Administration of your QSL records.

Pricing is current as of the date written. I have no affiliation with HRD, other than a satisfied customer and someone who supports other hams online via forums.

KG3Z Rating: 2/5 Jul 1, 2013 16:32 Send this review to a friend
There are MUCH better alternatives  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used HRD for about 3 years. Seems to have a steady march down hill ever since Simon left. Unstable decoders/readers (on 3 machines), very unreliable CAT operation, hanging the system frequently. Now they expect a $99 ANNUAL fee? They are out of their minds. Switched over to CommCat just over a year ago with excellent results and near real-time customer service.

G0AFQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 12:18 Send this review to a friend
A terrific suite of programs.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD for many years now and was sorry when it started to wither on the vine, but now its new owners are breathing fresh life into it. It's true that there are some bugs to iron out but I accept that as this is a work in progress. It is a complex suite of programs that will do just about everything that the radio enthusiast could wish for.
I use HRD version 6 to control my HPSDR set up, and also when following satellites on my FT-847. I will continue to recommend this wholeheartedly