Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 339 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

W2HDI Rating: 2/5 May 11, 2013 12:57 Send this review to a friend
It used to work well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This can be wonderful, but support now seems to be non-existent. A great combination, but with a new Windows 8 desktop, it is "crashing" my computer, and support will not return my emails. I even bought version 6.0, and support remains elusive. But, when it works, it's great. That's why I want it fixed....I had been using it successfully for more than four years.

N8YQX Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Works well with my rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use HRD with my IC-7410 for logging and some basic rig control (jumping to preset frequency).

For the most part, it works out of the box with minimal configuration and tweaking. The rig control makes logging contacts easier, since I don't need to write down the frequency, mode, or time.

If I had to complain, my gripes are:
1. Would like to have an integrated voice keyer function. I think the hardware interface is already there with DM780.
2. Would like the ability to batch upload logs to LoTW, eQSL, and HRDLog automatically. (This may have been implemented on the server side with the latest update.)

Overall, very good software. Give me the voice keyer, and I'll upgrade to the pay version.

N8YQX

K0HB Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Support? We don't got no steenkin' support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm trying to evaluate the 6.0 30-day trial, deciding if I want to purchase the program.

TOTAL FRUSTRATION! Documentation is fragmented and sketchy, and attempts to get simple evaluation questions answered meet with no results. Somehow I think there's a good product lurking here, but if they won't answer simple questions from a customer with money to spend, what will they do when they have my money safely tucked away?

WA4DMV Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2013 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Does it all, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HRD does it all -- IF you can get through the documentation deficit without pulling your hair out. There are so many nuances in all the features that have been added to this very useful suite of programs that it cries out for a compendium of organized and indexed reference information in one central location. There are some helter-skelter docs for individual modules, some of which vector you to other sources like YouTube videos, for example, using the lazy document writer's excuse "a picture is worth 1,000 words." Accessing documentation is equally frustrating from the program itself. The Wiki has apparently been broken for years and the link is dead. Given the documentation deficit, there is a steep learning curve, but if you're up for it, this full-featured suite is well worth the $99.95 initial fee. Whether I spend more money will depend on whether they pay attention to upgrading the documentation to be worthy of my continued support.

WB0UWG Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2013 13:55 Send this review to a friend
A nice addition to my rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I set this up for use with my FT857 via a CAT cable. Very easy. HRD makes it easy to change control functions on the screen that I would have to otherwise go to the menus on the radio. I like the favorites, I have setup favorites frequencies grouped by mode. So I can change my JT65 frequencies with just a click, or the same for my PSK group, my ssb favorites, etc. I really cant believe its free. I have used it long enough so that I am actually going to buy the next version just to show my support.

WJ1R Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2013 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Easy to install and operate. The logging function works flawlessly in tracking my Icom Pro I. The DX Cluster in the logging function shows a lot of useful information about DX stations including whether they are on LOTW. Very easy to point and click on a DX spot and the radio seamlessly QSYs to that frequency and mode. The DM780 can decode over 80 different digital modes. Very impressive software.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Version 6 Logger VERY Impressive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using HRD 6.0 and Logger for contests this month of May. First time using computer software in contest situation. If you want to use a spotter, this is amazing... point, click and you're there. Transmit, and he's in the log. No spotter? Easy to add new contacts manually, whether for specific contests or general logging. With the radio control as well, you might as well have a Flex radio (which I've had). Well worth the minimal investment for such a rich software environment !

VE7IG Rating: 3/5 Mar 14, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
product seems good, yearly subscription not so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had no problem getting the trial version working for rig control with an Elecraft KX3. Version 6 now has a separate file for the KX3 whereas with version 5 you had to use the K3 file. V6 seems to work ok but more experimentation will be needed to see how well it does work.

After paying the fee I saw that it appears to be a yearly fee as you have a yearly subscription. Having to pay for a one time license is one thing but having to pay a yearly subscription fee is entirely a different issue. I will only be using HRD V6 for one year no matter how good it is unless the renewal fee is much less.

K4JHD Rating: 2/5 Mar 1, 2013 10:10 Send this review to a friend
New Version 6  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a HRD user for a LOOONG time. Loved it. I decided to look at Ver 6. Free BEFORE $$$
Downloaded it...(ahem) 5 times. Installed it on as many different systems. I have yet to see the trial version working!!!?? Glad I did not blow the $79 on it and have this problem. I have taught HRD 4 or 5 times at ham clubs and passed out free CD's at each... Right nowI am advising hams to use caution with the new expensive version.

AB9UU Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed version 6 and had issues. Version 5 worked OK except for an occasional loss of communication with the com port. After contacting them, I got a quick email offering help though their initial assessment was wrong. Through remote help they went through my settings and fixed it in a few minutes. I can not remember the last time I got such service.