Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 396 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.
More info: http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

AE8J Rating: 3/5 Apr 9, 2015 07:51 Send this review to a friend
HRD Review Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an update of an earlier review. Ever since I purchased version 6.2.8.324 I had nothing but trouble with digital master. After repeated emails and phone calls to tech support their only answer was that the problems were with my computer. Last week version 6.2.9.355 was posted on the HDR website. After downloading and installing, lo and behold all my so-called computer problems magically went away! Digital Master now works okay.

I can only rate this software a 3 because it still has a lot of bugs but now its at least usable.

K5OA Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2015 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Use it daily  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using since maybe free version by Simon and now loaded latest 6.2.9.354 and what a improvement. Had one issue with split operation on IC7600 and this version fixes it so am a happy users. I do 90% of my operating in remote control so it is all up to HRD and my Dell PC for working all modes.
I do use VNC Tight to control a local PC at the remote site to handle the amp and allow full use of RTTY and PSK modes. Had issue with support ticket system and Katie was very helpful today. Looks like verizon.net is blocking HRD support ticket system. I find it worth the mondy for a super set of intergrated software functions. Bes tis new uploading of logs to ClubLog, LoTW and HRDLOG.net so easy! Love it. Thanks Katiew and Tim for yoru support today. 73, Russ K5OA

NI4S Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am running a Yaesu FT-450D with this software on a desktop and laptop. Had minor problem setting up the desktop computer and called tech support. They were very friendly and patient and it was a fairly quick fix. The laptop would not allow the logbook data file to set up. Called tech support again. They spent a good 3 hours fixing the problem that was on my laptop not their software. I love the features of the logbook entries and would highly recommend this product! They have the best tech service of any I have ever used and I look forward to learning the other features that are available with this software package.

KR4OM Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
HRD software working great after working with a Tech team that   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the HRD suite of software to be able to Control, Log.and Digital in one package. I have a Mac and decided to use Parallels and Windows to control my Kenwood TS-590s.

After the setup all the functions seem to work except the digital program DM780 but after working with a great group of techs and some great advice from another Ham it is know working just as we planned.

The software may not be perfect but who has perfect software.
The thing that impresses' me is there resolution to find a answer to my problem.

AE5YJ Rating: 2/5 Mar 3, 2015 11:58 Send this review to a friend
sales/support poor for buggy product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I needed HRD for the DDE link to interface between my Alinco DXSR-9T and USB Dongle/upconverter/HDSDR so I could have a wide bandwidth panadapter without all the issues plaguing the SR9's cobbled and near unusable SDR function. I downloaded the trial version to test before purchase to make sure that it would work vie DDE. It did, and I was happy but there is a well known bug that with HRD the radio won't tune via computer below 10 mhz. This problem has been reported by many users of HRD using the Alinco DXSR-9T. No big deal, and since the DDE worked it wasn't a deal breaker but I was disappointed when I sent several email inquiries regarding possible bug fixes with that radio in future releases (I was hoping it would be addressed in the 1 year free upgrade period after purchase). No replies were ever received. None. Ever. Being over a barrel and knowing that HRD was the only answer to my problem with getting the panadapter that I wanted, I went ahead and shelled out the money for full version and am hoping they will fix the tuning issue in a future release this year. If not, well...since I need it I will keep it. Not happy with it's buggy performance though.

AB9UQ Rating: 2/5 Mar 3, 2015 10:02 Send this review to a friend
More than Patient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Downloaded the newest version of Ham Radio Deluxe, it will not load.
Two support tickets and one month later state that Microsoft updates are the problem. Although I have owned a subscription of HRD for a few years, in good faith I paid the 99.00 dollars for the newest version as of February, 2015, and all the support that comes with it.

Well its march and the newest ticket explained that there is no repair of this problem as of March 3, 2015. Which If I had noted there is no revised version.

I have searched the web and it seemed I am the only one to have this problem, but I will be patient and see. I paid for software that I cant use, so my comments are more than fair, but will see what another two weeks will bring, AB9UQ

KD0ZV Rating: 0/5 Feb 19, 2015 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Not the same as older versions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was once a great program. Simon Brown sold the product and they since have added updated features along with multitudes of bugs. The program hangs, crashes and to make things worse tech support is unresponsive. Got only one response saying setup instructions are here and then no further response. It was obvious they did not read my support request at all and just replied with a canned response.

You can still download the free version from other sites and run it legally. This version runs great but the version they have had their fingers in does not.

Would have been happy to work through issues with them but they would not reply. This program has potential but cant keep it running. Have tried on two computers with same results. I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and although I don't claim to know everything I probably am capable enough to setup a program like this.

It appears to RUN WELL WITH SOME RIGS and not others and runs fine with my Icom most of the time. As a matter of fact there is a program out called DDUTIL that replaces the HRD server portion for FlexRadio users and improves a lot of the issues with HRD.

So if you feel you must purchase this program them give it the full 30 day run down on the most recent version. When you purchase the user agreement states that you agree it works OK and you are on your own.

If you have a Radio that is supported by Callsign Software consider using them as the program is more stable and support is much better.

ON4OPA Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2015 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great program.
Not without some minor bugs.
But, even greater support team, they did resolve my problems in no time, even with an ocean between us.
Thanks again, Mike and your colleges.
I would purschase HDR again.
I will promote HDR to my fellow hams.
(sorry for my bad english)

KZ2A Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 07:41 Send this review to a friend
HRD Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great Program!, Tech support excellent. I highly recommend
purchasing the HRD software.

N4JLR Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
HRD is a well integated Software Suite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started using the older 5.24 version of HRD and have only used it about a week. The older unsupported version worked great with my IC-756ProII and connected fine with cables I bought from a UK Ham. You need to be careful that you get the cables that are specified. After using the older free version I wanted to try their current version and installed version 6.2 in my Windows 8.1 system and it had several issues, one being it would not connect to my radio. I called customer support at HRD and Tim, KB3NPH, remotely accessed my PC and straightened out some configuration items that were not necessary configure in the earlier version. It is working fine now. The logbook is great, it fills out all necessary data from a QRZ lookup as the source that I use, and the program is well integrated into all the different program modules. There is the logbook, then the Rig-Control program which is really kewl since you can see and change frequencies, bands, and every option that is available on your radio. It seems to support a plethora of Radios. Then there is the Digital Master 780 module for all the digital modes, it has a great waterfall display to see the signals, but I have only used the PSK-31 option. The great thing about this program is the fact that all the modules are well integrated. On the DM780 screen, I can interface with the logbook, and also the Rig Control, as well as check my soundcard settings. From the logbook module I can also interface all the other modules. It has SSTV capability and many other modes. I have really not found any digital mode it does not have. There are lots of Macros when using PSK-31, so all you have to do when you hear someone call CQ is put their CallSign in the correct field and it automatically looks up the call, knows the persons name, qth etc. and when you use the macros, it inserts his call, name etc. as well as my own information which is already in the system when you configure it so it inserts the right info in the right places when calling or answering a CQ as well as the body of a QSO.
The Macros make life really easy, but takes getting used to. My hardest task is trying to communicate with many users that are experienced, which means fast! I feel I have lost contacts due to my slow response but will get better as I get more used to PSK-31 procedures as well as HRD itself. I also love having the DX cluster log and display. If you see a DX station you want, just click on the frequency he is on and your radio tunes the that frequency. If he is on another band, it will even switch bands!. Of course an automatic antenna tuner is a great help when doing this. I will update this later after I use the software suite for more than the week I have had it. Bottom line is it is a very very powerful, well integrated software suite that takes advantage of today's CAT radio interfaces and digital modes. Of course it can be used just as a logging program and is powerful in that use alone.