Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | FTB8900 Help

Reviews Summary for FTB8900
FTB8900 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $15.00
Description: Memory management (cloning) software for the Yaesu FT-8900R quad band FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb8900.htm

You can write your own review of the FTB8900.

GI0WLW Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2014 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Superb product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot recommend this software highly enough. It makes programming this radio so easy. Having software that works as described is great, but what makes this really product stand out is the outstanding customer support offered by Bob, the writer of the program. He guided me through the installation step by step. A most welcome experience in every way. Top marks to the quality of the product and the customer support. It's so good I'm considering purchasing the software for the FT857D.

M0WZM Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2012 09:00 Send this review to a friend
If you own a FT-8900 you need this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wouldn't write to the radio initially. Why? because I hadn't read the instructions thoroughly.
Works perfectly. Can't imagine using a FT-8900 without it.

K1LLL Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2011 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Read all the good ratings and experiences here. Installed the software, read the directions, (imagine that!) and it works fantastic. A refreshing change from other experiences. This is the one to buy.

W2TXB Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2010 07:48 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Bob Freeth's FTB8900 software for a few years and it is the absolute best. Having originally bought and used the RT Systems software, the comparison is "night and day", with G4HFQ the clear winner.

Having just built a new computer and loaded Windows 7 Pro (which I like, although XP Pro was OK as well), I had a small glitch getting FTB8900 to run. After a quick e-mail response from Bob (<3 hours) with a suggestion to run it as administrator, all is well again.

Now if only Bob would write a program for the IC-7000...

K7RFW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2010 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over all thoughts:
Had several initial caveats on buying the program based on other programs and some comments on several sites, but it worked fine on the XPPro and when I had to downgrade to WIN7 Pro, it still worked. Overall it reminds me of my Kenwood program.

Use:
No issues, granted I work for the US Air Force, but I think that this program should give little if any problems to the normal user. Simple interface and fairly flat menus (only two sub menus). It looks like all functions are taken care of, several ways to store/retrieve/view data, and a nice collection of screen display controls. No windows bells and whistles, so if you grade on cute programing, go somewhere else.

Support:
I had a usage problem with the software, left a note on the Yahoo Group (ftbasic) on the limitation and had Bob (author) come back and ask what he could do to solve the issue. Several betas later he released a new version that added the output format I wanted, and a few days later included that functionality in the other programs. Top marks on response. Other than my first change, there has only been one other upgrade I have retrieved, and that went smoothly with no issues. There is a menu item to the site for upgrades under help for folks like me who forget addresses. And I see that Bob is still active on the Yahoo group.

Hardware compatability:
I have a cheap USB/RS232 converter. It works with no problems, and there are no known restrictions on the G4HFQ site.

Comparisons:
I have the other Yaesu programs for my FT897 and VX5, and while it is an apple to orange comparison, I think Bob did a better job and I am glad I did not get the other program not only because of the extra cost, but possibly not as friendly.

Price:
USD15, a cheap price for a test and you are not told to buy a specific USB/RS232 converter.

Complaints.
The only one I have so far is that if you download the memory to a file that exists, you overwrite the extra comment fields in the file (fields are not in the radio). No warning as I recall that the extra comment fields are going. For forgetful folks like me, that is irritating. But at least I have my print out to restore the data. MAYBE a -0.1 on the score.

AI6DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2009 18:40 Send this review to a friend
A great program.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The program itself is really easy to use and user friendly. Just down load it, plug it in and it works. I highly recommend it. The only difficulty I had was with the programming cable I bought. I had some difficulty with my computer choosing a data port, but that is not the fault of the FTB8900 program.

The program itself is straight forward and easy to use. I wish I had the similar program for the FT-8880 when I still owned that radio. Makes programing my FT-8900R a pleasure.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2008 05:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This program saves you alot of time and is worth the money!!!

KD7CAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2007 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Best PC-Programming I have Ever Used!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was skeptical at first on buying the ttl2usb adapter and the software. But, now that I have them I am truly convinced on its superiority. It is intuitive and easy to use and the fact that it tells you what steps to take when uploading to radio makes it even better. No more fumbling through the owners manual trying to figure out what to do. It is on the screen. As with all software there are the occasional problems such as importing from an excel type file. You lose a lot of information coverting to CSV and so it doesn't upload properly. Take the template file and use that... Cut and paste then it works fine. Definetly will purchase again!

PA3CUU Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2006 20:00 Send this review to a friend
good stuf  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
just a plain and simple, piece of software.
download the present memory,s
make the adjustments you want and save them.
thats it
had a pleasant and good email contact with the autor after a question
top of the bill.

W1KSZ Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2005 18:16 Send this review to a friend
This One Works !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the RTS S/W and had nothing but problems. Then I bought the FTB8900 S/W and it ran right out of the box !!
Don't waste your time & $$ on that other one, it may work if you bugger it long enough, get the one that works right away with no headaches.
Here is the site: