Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ka-Gold Help

Reviews Summary for Ka-Gold
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.Interflex.com

You can write your own review of the Ka-Gold.

KA9MAT Rating: 2/5 Dec 9, 2004 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Not working  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the KA-GOLD program to run my KAM all mode Ver. 5.01 I've had problems getting the program to unkey the TNC in HF modes. While in direct terminal (in KAGOLD) the commands key and unkey the TNC which tells me the TNC and computer are talking. I've contacted Interflex about this problem, and after 10+ e-mails have had no correction to this problem. They haven't offered any corrections to either the TNC or program parameters. It appears they are fully stumped, offer no explanation and basically left me on my own. Why did I pay them money?

KB4TXW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2003 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program.  Time owned: more than 12 months
About three years ago, I aquired my first KAM, and wanted to get into the world of rtty. I started looking for a nice, easy to use, efficient software program since none came with the unit, I bought it used. After trying several Windows programs, mostly written for packet, I was left very dissatisfied. I discovered Kagold while doing a search for Kam on Google. I tried out a demo version and loved it, I ordered the full product the next day. It does exactly what I want with rtty and the tor modes. It is easy to use and learn, the help menus are fabulous. My original order came with a users manual that is second to none. Also it's small, and I can run it under almost any OS since it's dos based. These days when a lot of people are running mmty and soundcards, I still prefer Kagold. It is a nice well written piece of software that gets the job done, period.

KE6CBL Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2003 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Was hesitant at first, now my primary packet software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Years ago when I first got on packet (when KPC-3 used v5.0 ROM) I was totally against KaGold. Cost too much, didn't see the need, thought it was just a fad among the local hams that did use it. I did like the fact that it handled multiple connects seamlessly, but that was about it. Now, years later, I had the opportunity to transfer it to my callsign (not a usual circumstance) for a moderate fee, and I said what the heck, and got v9.08. I've used it at other stations before but not in too much depth, now I can see why it was so liked. I already knew about conference mode, but the way in which you can go about adding users to conferences, file transfers, remote command mode, even callbook server, very nice. Granted I don't use all the features I am alloted, but I plan on it soon (GTOR/PACTOR). If you have any questions, please ask me. It's 2003, I use KaGold in a WindowsXP DOS window (disable Auto-Buffer in KaGold if you use a 16550 UART, most likely you do). If you have an older version of KaGold, 9.07 and earlier, you probably get Runtime Error 200. I have a TSR program that you can run and it will work on your faster computer. It works. I tried it with 9.07 on a Pentium III 866 and worked just fine. You can download it at http://www.IanThurston.com/files/r200fix.zip

-Ian KE6CBL

AB5CC Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2001 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Sattisfied KaGold User  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my opinion, there has never been a better software package designed for the Kantronics line of TNCs. This program takes full advantage of the dual port feature on the KAM. yes, I have used Hostmaster and it is OK, but KaGold shines. Sure, it will work in DOS...but who cares. With KaGold, you can work HF and VHF simultaneously...that is great! I have been on packet since 1991 and have used many good single port programs (paKet, YAPP, etc) but none comes near the usefulness of KaGold.

I have helped many hams get started with packet over the years and the ones who start with KaGold are less frustrated and seem to stay with it longer than those who start with a simple terminal program. The menu system and intuitive commands seem to just make sense to the new user.

Kenneth

W6LAR Rating: 1/5 Mar 7, 2000 11:54 Send this review to a friend
See my review under PK-Gold  Time owned: unknown months
There are much better programs out there just written expressly for Windows. Interflex is in the dark ages! All they care about is your money. Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade and that costs! If you have an earlier version you got to pay to make it work under Windows!

KK5CA Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2000 13:22 Send this review to a friend
a MUST HAVE for KAM users  Time owned: unknown months
Kantronics KAM and KAM Plus owners should also be KaGold owners. Trying to efficiently operate these multi-mode controllers with dumb terminal programs and hundreds of commands is impossible. KaGold remembers all these for you and make connecting to your favorite packet nodes simple. It even allows identification of other KaGold users, associates names and locations with call signs, and makes packet operating fun.

Quickly switching among multiple simultaneous connections is a snap because all the connected stations are displayed, or changed to, by a few keystrokes.

It makes extensive use of TNC configuration files, function keys, and CTRL and ALT keys. The function performed by these keys can vary between the modes and ports. Changing modes on HF is done by a few key strokes and loading the correct TNC config file from within the program. I operate RTTY quite a bit, and occasionaly HF packet and Pactor. The program quickly configures for each of these modes. There is support to capture text files but it is a bit clunky. Even in it's latest version, this remains a DOS program, which means it can run on old 386 platforms and it also behaves well under W31/95/98. Configuring it for non-standard COM ports was a puzzle until I realized the address needed to be in hex. For a dedicated terminal program for the KAM, nothing is better.