Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft R-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R-5
Cushcraft R-5 Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $539.99
Description: HF Vertical
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R-5.

ZS6VJJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2003 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Very good performer. Good for holiday location  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I required a vertical for my holiday location. At that location I have got a 40 m inverted V. I have not managed to find R5 but only 10 years old R7.

I have removed 30m and 20 m traps and added 36 cm 19 mm diameter tube to the length of the 17 m trap. Now my R7 performs with less than 1,1 SWR on five bands. I obtained bandwidth of 270 kHz on 20 m. Antenna also can work on 6 m.

I am very happy with the performance. Releasing only one clamp under 10 m trap I can easily store this antenna at two 2,5 m sections. It takes me 5 min to erect or put down this "R5" antenna.

KG4WKR Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2003 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be better!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A friend of mine got hold of one that was storm damaged. He fixed it up and sent it to me. It beats my ideally installed G5RV (which works very well), and the 4BTV mounted on my dock over the water. I have my R5 mounted just above the roof (about 17 ft.) and it is the best low cost, low profile antenna I've ever used. In the world of verticals and wire, I think this one is hard to beat. Well made, tunes perfectly. If you can find one, get it. Should be available from time to time for $100-$150.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2002 18:43 Send this review to a friend
A success... why change it ?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I see WU1Z reviewd this antenna down below. Let me say that I have run it as long as he has.

It is currently my sole antenna for 20,17,15,12,10m and is mounted on the boom of a A3 tribander with the base at 14 feet.

I'm undecided whether to put up a beam, I'm so pleased with it.

My experiences are actually based mainly on running 100w to it. Now I have added an amp and can run 200w without it.

Have worked Ducie, etc. all with 100 watts on the first call in the middle of the oepration or beginning (this is important to note... anyone can work anything at the END).

Easy construction and reconstruction. It has survived several moves which is more than I can say for some parts of M2's antennas before they were even in the air.

And believe me, I'm careful. I can imagine what a slob would do...

I don't know about the current R series models aside from what I read here and it seems they had some bombs until the R-8... hope that one is REALLY as good if I ever (hope not) need a replacement all direction antenna.

KB5ZVV Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2002 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performancee  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought my R5, I mounted it about 5 feet above a 22x22 metal carport roof, thinking that the ground plane might help the performance. I could not get the SWR to dip in the band centers. I put it on a 20 foot foldover mast on the corner of the same carport, and everything works fine. The half-wave design does not require a ground plane (only short decoupling radials). Maybe it is "ground intolerant"? I have worked Australia on 100 watts on 17 meters.

Kevin

NE0P Rating: 3/5 Jul 3, 2002 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually owned the R4, which was 10, 12, 15, and 20 meters. Never could get the SWR down really low on 12 meters, but as other reviews stated, it worked fine until it rained. Then the SWR jumped nicely. It was nice to switch bands without having to use the manual antenna tuner, since I did not have an autotuner at that time, but performance was average. Unless you are very limited on space, you would do just as good with a dipole, at a fraction of the cost. Also, cushcraft customer support is non existant. Thankfully I did not need it for this antenna. I will give the R4 points for one thing: It is not near as ugly or overpriced as a GAP is.

WB7QQR Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2002 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Good performer until it rains  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mounted 10 ft above my 1 floor house this vertical performs adequately for me. But after a good rain the swr really drops (down to 3:1). Once it has dried out the swr is back to 1.5:1 and better. Seals in the couterpoise box are good, coax and connectors are sealed as well, and grounding seems solid. So I don't know what else to check. Thank God for antenna tuners.

WU1Z Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2001 21:08 Send this review to a friend
GREAT VERTICAL ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE HAD THIS ANTENNA SINCE I ENTERED THE HOBBY BACK IN 1990.

I REMEMBER WELL THE THRILL OF OPERATING ON TEN METERS WHEN I JUST STARTED OUT. I REMEMBER HEARING MANY STATIONS IN THE US COMING IN AND WORKING MANY OF THEM. I AM SURE I WORKED ALL OF THE US STATES AS I RAG CHEWED WITH EVERYONE.

WHEN THE EUROPEANS STARTED COMING IN I WAS IN COMPLETE AWE. I REMEMBER ALMOST FALLING OUT OF MY CHAIR WHEN A STATION IN MOSCOW ,IN THE NOW DEFUNCT SOVIET UNION ANSWERED MY C.Q. CALL.

THE R-5'S ABILITY TO WORK ALL OF THIS PLUS GET STRONG SIGNAL REPORTS SOLD ME.

I HAVE NEVER HAD TO TAKE THE ANTENNA DOWN AND 2002 WILL BE ITS 12TH YEAR MOUNTED TO THE SIDE OF MY HOUSE IN MANCHESTER, CT. IT HAS WITH STOOD MANY HEAVY WIND STORMS WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

I SHOULD ALSO MENTION THAT IT WORKS GREAT ON ALL THE BANDS THAT CUSHCRAFT PROMISED. (10, 12,15,17 AND 20 METERS) I HAVE EVEN USED IT ON 30 AND 40 METERS AT TIMES WHICH SURPRISED ME.

THIS HAS BEEN A REALLY GREAT ANTENNA FOR ME. SUPER CHOICE FOR A VERTICAL ANTENNA.

ONE EXPERIENCE THAT MADE ME SMILE RECENTLY WAS WHEN A FRIEND WHO USES A QUAD CHIDED ME A BIT FOR NOT HAVING A DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA LIKE HIS QUAD. WE WERE WORKING SOME DX AND MY FRIEND WENT FIRST, GOT HIS 5/9 REPORT AND THEN TURNED GREEN AS THE EUROPEAN STATION GAVE ME A 15 OVER S/9 REPORT.

WHEN IT COMES TO DURABILITY, PERFORMANCE ETC. I THINK IT WOULD BE TOUGH TO TOP THE R-5.
JOE (WU1Z)

F5MFO Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2001 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Need a hurricane to break it  Time owned: more than 12 months
And it happened !
I was using the R5 since 10 years, and have been obliged to repove it for repair after our 1999 hurricane.
By the wind load on the antenna, the fiberglass insulator on the base tube collapsed, and the antenna was balancing from left to right due to the resultant gap.
I'm currently replacing the fiber sleeve by a teflon part, and guess that I'll have to wait for next hurricane to remove it again !
Never been bored by tuning problems. I even found a dip on 80 meters !
great low space array !

KA1RI Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2001 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Tried and True  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of these for a number of years before a windstorm and tree brought it down. Found another used recently - mounted on an 8 ft mast in the backyard. FABULOUS antenna - when the GAP aluminum scrap never worked right, the R5 got assembled, put up and offered below 2:1 SWR as promised all across the bands. The R5 might have been Cushcraft's "finest hour." Highly recommended if you can find one. Works great, always did.

DL4KG Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2001 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Worked 300+ DXCC with it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the Cushcraft R5 for app. 10 years. The only failure was a broken bracket which connects the black box to the antenna. I replaced it with a simple metal strap cut to the right dimension. With a tuner the R5 gives reasonable results on 30 m. I worked more than 100 DXCC with 50 W on 10 MHz. I didnīt noticed any problems with the location. I used it on a balcony, closed to the roof and on top of my EME array now. I never changed the setup, the first alignment is still valid after all the years. The space of the roof is filled up with the EME array and so it is nice to have a HF antenna with low wind load and without radials. When turning the VHF/UHF array the R5 is turned on top of the mast.