Reviews Categories | Transverters | Elecraft XV144 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft XV144
Elecraft XV144 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $349
Description: Transverter for 2 Meters
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm

You can write your own review of the Elecraft XV144.

F8GGD Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Vy nice TRV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I changed my IC7000, for XX144 + IC 7600, I must say that there a huge improvement in reception.
the XV144 is very quiet compared to my old setup, FB by elecraft job.
XV144 I bought second-hand, with all the options.
No problem to make it work.
73 F8GGD

G0TKJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2010 03:59 Send this review to a friend
First Elecraft Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been looking at a kit for a 2m Transverter for a few months to use with a FT-1000MP that was sitting on my shelf not doing anything. After looking through the options and wanting a unit I could build my self I went for the XV-144 with the optional Crystal Oven. It arrived about 1 week after ordering at my QTH in the UK.

After taking the box into the shack and opening it on the work bench I was very impressed at the quality of the kit and the very detailed build and instruction manuals.

The PCB is of a high quality, with all through hole plating, ALL components are silk screen I.D'ed and also your told were to find them in the build instructions. And components are put in stage bags so you get the right parts on the work bench at the right time so making the build far less confusing and very simple to follow.

It has taken approx 12-14 hours to build, and was very easy for me as I repair radios! So was very easy to follow the step by step procedures to build the kit. Personally I think that having the SMT parts ready soldered to the PCB takes the risk away of ESD damage and or heat damage to these very delicate parts for people that don't have the right tool kit, experience and most of all confidence to deal with SMT parts. Its easy for us guys and girls that work with SMT day in day out to say no problem that "SIMPLE" but if you have never worked with SMT parts this can be a scary prospect. I think that it also eliminates risk of Elecraft getting inundated with returned kits just for this very reason!

Testing and Alignment is very simple too as you only need in your shack a DMM to set the unit up but after following the procedures in the manual put it on the test bench and the output is very clean and the front end is superb so very pleased with the kit and I think the next kit is going to be either the K2/100 kit or splash the cash and get the K3/100 to match with the XV-144.

Thanks to ALL at Elecraft for a great kit!!

73's

Terry G0TKJ / G1YTX

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2010 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Use a PLL oscillator  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review since we found a replacement for the crystal oscillator with a PLL unit from Kuhne Electronics in Germany. You must have a 10 MHz reference to utilize it but is well worth the effort to have precise frequency control. The part number is: MKU XO 1 PLL and sells for $298 U.S. (175 Euro).
which has SMA fittings and can be ordered with the 116 MHz frequency. Of course total accuracy will only be as good as the I.F. transceiver unless you run a Flex Radio which will also take the 10 MHz reference. Imagine making a schedule on 2 metres on 144.180000 Mhz using PSK31.

N5GE Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 10:17 Send this review to a friend
My first XVTR.. Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the XV144 for more than two years.

The XV144 was the first Elecraft kit I had built, so I was apprehensive about how I would do. There was no need to feel challenged. The build was easy and when I had questions, Elecraft support was there to get me going.

I would recommend the XV144 to anyone who needs a 2m XVTR.

K9WJL Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2009 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Don't be scared  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Kit from a guy on Ebay. I subsequently bought the N-gen noise generator kit to build as a warm up, and the crystal oven for the unit.
This was my fourth kit build, and for this build I bought an ESD mat and a really good soldering iron.
The instructions are EXTREMLY well written. The instructions are easy to follow, and the print is big, allowing the manual to be out of the way during assembly. The ring binding allows it to fold back flat, Exceptionally well thought out in my opinion.
I learned alot while building, mostly about the different parts in the unit, some of which I didn't know existed.
The build took me about 22 hours, taking my time, having a beer here and there and listening to the rigs in the shack. Sometimes I'd break away and try to work some station I heard. I was trying to be patient and take my time....
I was so suprised when it WORKED! All the care had paid off, and the only mistake I made was during alignment, when I had adjusted R13 too low. An Email to Elecraft with the symptoms resulted in being led down the right path.
On the air so far has been good, and it easily drives my TE Systems 1452g to max output.
I may build the 222 kit someday and or the 440 kit.
I wsnt to build more kits from Elecraft. it's that good.

W2EH Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2008 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great design, easy to build.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This kit has a very high quality pc board with excellent etching, solder mask, parts locations and plated through holes. I took my time building it and used a good solder station with Sn 63 / 37 solder. The alignment was very straight foward. My Icom 756 Pro2 transverter port easily drives the XV144 to full output with -21 dBM at 28 mhz. I will follow this one with an XV432 soon!,

N1DZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2008 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Great transverter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to built. Like a Heathkit! Excellent performance. I have used many transverters over >25 years of VHF and UHF DXing.
Using this transverter now for >2 years. Interfaced it to my SDR-1000 with a homebrew amplifier to bring the power up to 50 watts to drive my 1.5KW PA.

Only negative is it will run warm in continuous duty modes at full power. It is not a transverter I would use for FMing. Why would anyone use a transverter for FM anyway. SSB, WSJT and CW is fine.

Currently the best transverter on the market from a price/performance standpoint.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2008 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this transverter! I use the VX144 with my Yaesu FT-2000 and it out performs the FT-897D. I know that makes sense to most people, but I confirm that it is truely worth the time and money.

This was my first kit, 15hr later, and it was done.

If you don't own a good "Soldier Station" and quality soldier, then add up the start-up cost first.

M0FGH Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 05:36 Send this review to a friend
superb performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy build with very detailed construction and alignment details making the kit just right for a novice constructor like me. Really liked the way Elecraft have taken the trouble to pre-mount the few surface mount devices used. One minor construction query was answered same day by the Elecraft support team. Transverter has worked perfectly right from the initial power-up. Used with my Icom 756 pro 3 I find its performance superb. Background noise is very low and SSB signals that do not move the meter are easy to work even when right next to a strong station. I also own a microwave modules 2 metre transverter and an Icom 910 and after extensive direct comparisons using the same antenna system the Elecraft XV144 is the weapon of choice every time. The only improvement I would like is a 100 watt version.

WA2ODO Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2008 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Beyond Excellent!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Smooth and painless build. Instructions and pictures better than any kits I have seen in my 50 years of building. Worked Flawlessly from the start and has continued to be the best transverter I have used to date. No Drifting, super low noise floor, and flawless running. I use this for EME and MS with WSJT....and won't give it up for the world.

Also one of the nicest companies I have ever delt with...helpful and courtious, with an attitude that every ham is a very very important customer.