Reviews Categories | Ham Repeater Controllers | SCOM - 7K repeater controler Help

Reviews Summary for SCOM - 7K repeater controler
SCOM - 7K repeater controler Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $under 500
Description: The flagship of mid-priced repeater controllers -- Autopatch, Reverse Patch, Link/Remote Base Port, Scheduler, and Synthesized Speech!
The top-of-the-line S-COM 7K Repeater Controller consists of a Main Board and Rackmount Cabinet as standard equipment. The cabinet accomodates two optional boards mounted in the chassis -- the Telephone Interface Module (for Autopatch, Reverse Path, and Control by Phone Line), and the Speech Synthesizer Module. Additionally, two optional Digital Audio Delay Modules (one each for repeater and link/remote base audio) may be mounted in the cover.

Powerful Programming Language

Version 2.04 pre-installed.
Fully remotely programmable via DTMF commands.
Your work is safe -- retained in non-volatile memory -- ensuring that no information is lost during power outages.
Create a library of user commands or autopatch speed-dial numbers with S-COM's exclusive Macro capability.
Powerful messaging lets you generate CW, custom and standard tones, single-tone, two-tone, 5/6-tone, and DTMF pages, and speech (when equipped).
A 100-Setpoint Scheduler executes commands at programmed times and dates.
Support for the Doug Hall RBI-1 Remote Base Interface lets you build a remote base using Kenwood mobile radios.

Flexible Design

The CMOS design draws little power -- it's perfect for emergency, portable, and solar-powered repeaters.
The 7K supports a repeater, a full- or half-duplex link or remote base, and a control receiver.
Options

For Autopatch, Reverse Patch, and Control by Phone Line, add the Telephone Interface Module.
For Speech, add the Speech Synthesizer Module.
For full squelch tail and DTMF elimination, add the Digital Audio Delay Module. It connects to the 7K through a single ribbon cable and is field installable.
Detailed Specifications

Compatible Third-Party Products

Ordering Information
Options Telephone Interface Module
Speech Synthesizer Module
Digital Audio Delay Module
Warranty 1 year on parts and workmanship
Documentation Detailed Manual on CD-ROM
Terms VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Cashier's Check, Money Orders, Cash COD (Personal and club checks must clear before shipment.)
More info: http://www.scomllc.com/

You can write your own review of the SCOM - 7K repeater controler.

WR2I Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 11:39 Send this review to a friend
It just wont quit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my first 7K at the Dayton Hamvention 1991. It has been on the air since then without a failure. I have upgraded the real time clock, firmware and voice vocabulary, all of which are the latest revisions. I do not have the LED cabinet, as this was not available when I purchased it.

I have had many controllers that I have tried over the years. None have compared to the S-Com 7K in terms of flexibility and audio quality. I can't vouch for the reliability of other controllers because I ditched them quickly, as they did not meet my standards. It is not only important to have a nice feature set, but if the audio section is not properly designed, a repeater is intolerable to listen to. For example, a controller made in Florida that should be called DOG, is easily identified when heard. The S-Com controllers all sound great. I have a spare/backup 7K that I have never needed to use and a 6K that replaced a 5K in 1997. None have failed, all sound great. I would like to try a 7330, but the need just isn't there. The legacy S-Com controllers keep on going. I won't recommend a 7K now that the 7330 is available, but if you must have a 5,6 or 7K, you will not regret it. I normally don't give 5's in a review, but these controllers do walk on water, so they get a 5 star review here.

K9CQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 14:35 Send this review to a friend
A fine controller.  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had a 7K in service on the local club repeater here since the mid 1990's. No problems with it or the 5K on our UHF repeater. We finally had a memory chip go bad this year and when I called Scom and talked to Bob, he knew exactly what needed to be done. We upgraded the controller and that eliminated the on board batteries and old firmware chips. Any shortcomings this controller have as far as serial port programming and shared resources with the ports have been addressed in the new 7330 so if this one gets upgraded we will purchase another Scom.

KN7T Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Flexible & Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
We've been using an S-COM 7K Controller on our repeaters for many years. The unit, while not offering serial port programming, does provide a modicum of flexibility that allows it to handle just about any repeater job that you need it to. While the DTMF programming is a bit clunky, it is not difficult to accomplish once you understand the commmand structures and functions. The user's manual is very detailed and is not for the faint of heart. The 7K controller is mainly designed to operate a single repeater and also has ports for operation of link devices as necessary. In our application, we use it to control two separate repeaters so that capability is there if you want to spend the time to do the programming to make it work. There is now a digital audio board available for use with this controller that also adds the option of serial port programming although ours is not so equipped. S-COM technical support is outstanding and we've always gotten prompt responses to our questions when we contacted them. The 7K is no longer in production but a used unit would be worth looking into if you have a need for this type of device.

N2FDU Rating: 3/5 Feb 27, 2006 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Tough To Program  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Plenty of features but very tough to program (no standard PC interface; all programming is accomplished via DTMF tones). Also, the synthesized voice announcements are muddy in comparison to those generated by our CAT-1000's. Great e-mail and phone support from SCOMM though.

If you're in Metro NYC and want to hear what one sounds like, give a listen to our 2-meter repeater on 146.835, CTCSS 151.4, W2UHF/R.

As per a previous post, these are no longer made, but may be available on the used market.

N2FDU

K1IW Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2006 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Biggest Drawback - It is no longer manufactured  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our club operates six of these controllers at six different locations throughout our state. We've never had a problem with any of them. At the time the 7K was designed, serial port programmability was unheard of, and thus rhe controller lacks it (a drawback). However, a company called VYEX (www.vyex.com) now makes an add on "Digital Audio Board" that gives you serial port programming capability. The DAB replaces the 7K's speech add-on board and addresses the only fault we could ever find with this controller. The DAB also holds a standard flash card which can be placed into any PC flash card reader - allowing you to copy .wav format audio tracks into the controller. The .wav files can also be uploaded to the controller via the serial port. The major drawback to this controller is that SCOM no longer makes it! You can still find them from time to time on the used market. The follow-on to the 7K is the SCOM 7330, still in development, but when the 7330 becomes available, I would strongly recommend considering it.

N4SJW Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2004 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Fire and forget  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had several of these in NC at 3 different sites, one 1000ft up a platform. Never had a problem once they were configured and programmed.

Strengths: solid performers, mechanically very well build, Port 1 controls TS-32/64 outbound CTCSS audio, does 2 tone sequential paging, excellent audio

Weaknesses: pain in the neck to program, does have a DTMF audio program. Would give this controller a 5 if it had a modern serial port, windows based programmer to make all the sophistication easy to work with.

N4WXS Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2003 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Repeater Controller  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 7K for 11 years now and there has been no problems at all, in spite of the harsh environment at the site (4192 ft. elevation) in the mountains of western North Carolina (90 degress to -30 below temp variations...not to mention the lightning strikes. I'd recommend a 7K for anybody. Product support is great also.