Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH77CA Dual Band (2 m /70 CM) HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH77CA Dual Band (2 m /70 CM) HT Antenna
Diamond SRH77CA Dual Band (2 m /70 CM) HT Antenna Reviews: 50 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 15" long, male SMA connector, flexible dual-band antenna for handheld transceivers. 1/4 wave on 2 meters, 2.15 dbi gain on 70 cm (Mfgr claim).

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH77CA Dual Band (2 m /70 CM) HT Antenna.

KK4EQE Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice Dual purpose duckie!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All i can say is that it works well, ive had this antenna for a few months now & it definately works better than the stock duckie. From my apartment parking lot i hit the local repeater with my FT-60r @ 5 watts 37.7 miles away full quieting with an s7 return. The stock duckie it was scratchy s3 I also use it on a portable scanner & works great for that as well.

N1KSN Rating: 3/5 Sep 12, 2010 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Nothing special on 2m  Time owned: more than 12 months
The previous review by KD8OPI confirms my own findings on this HT antenna. Recently I used an Agilent E8285A and a MiniCircuits combiner/splitter as a return loss bridge to study the impedance match (return loss) of several HT antennas. The match on 2m for this antenna was 3:1 or worse across the 2m band. It was 1.6:1 or better on 70cm. These results were quite similar to two BNC version RH77CA's I also tested. So I'd say this is a very good UHF monoband antenna, but not special on 2m.

KD8OPI Rating: 3/5 Sep 11, 2010 01:11 Send this review to a friend
The performance is half hype.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So for my brand-new Yaesu FT-60R I considered this antenna largely because everyone here raves about it. I've also seen a youtube video review of my HT where the presenter stated that he noticed no difference in performance between the rubber-duck and an unnamed aftermarket antenna that was likely the SRH77CA. Where is the truth people? Well, truth is tricky to find, but I tried my best and will help you all make a decision with my tests.

I have a base station Icom IC-7000 and with a name-brand VHF/UHF antenna up about 15'; I can hit a total of thirty-five 2m and 70 cm repeaters within a 50-mile radius. I took all of these repeater frequencies and loaded them in to the FT-60R. I then simply pressed the PTT and listened to see if I could tag each repeater with either the duck or the SRH77CA attached. The real-world results were interesting.

On 2 meters, the SRH77CA performs no better than the stock rubber duck of the FT-60R. Not an iota. Each antenna hit the identical repeaters at identical power with the identical strength of "quieting" receive on the back-end. FYI, I could hit about 40% of my data set (the repeaters) on the ground, 60% at an elevation 12' above ground with either antenna with identical results. HT's are not base stations, and their antennas are no substitute for a real base antenna.

Ready to declare the antenna a waste of money, I tuned to the WX channels. This is where it got interesting. The Diamond pulled the local station in and pegged it to the right of the meter, an easy s-10. The rubber duck manages a 3-4 on the s-meter, clear copy to be sure but also a clear win for the Diamond. The SRH77CA also barely got one or two of the outlying stations, the rubber duck did not. For comparison, the base antenna pulls in 4-5 cleanly with a few more intelligible through an open squelch. Intrigued, I went to 70 cm.

This is where the Diamond shined most brightly (pun intended). It hit 4 of the 5 70 cm repeaters I use on the base station, compared to 3 of 5 for the rubber duck. It hit one at 0.5W where the duck required 2w. The receive was stronger as well, with stronger S-levels throughout.

Well so where does this leave us? While better on WX and 70 cm, there is NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL between this $20-25 antenna (10% of the cost of my radio)and the supplied duck on 2 m, where most of the vhf/uhf action is in the Dayton area and the rest of the country. Another way to look at it, for a $25 investment, I can hit one additional repeater on 70 cm, decrease power to a second, and listen to scratchy weather reports outside of my local area. Still a 3rd way to look at is is that the supplied duck with the FT-60r is pretty darn good on 2m, as good as a Diamond SRH77CA, and it screws all the way down to the case and seals cleanly where the SRH77CA does not.

It would appear that the reviews of this antenna on eham are a bit generous, a 3 for me.

K2CLH Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2010 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a Yeasu VX-7R and the stock antenna can hit everything that is around but all with a scratchy signal. The SRH77CA could hit two thirds of the repeaters the stock antenna can but gets it into all of the cleanly.

K2CLH

K5HDM Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2010 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Overall a good antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would give this a 5 if it wasn't for the threads not being "deep" enough to fit my 92ad properly and the length.. I definitely had a gain on all the repeaters I want to get on.. Other hams on the repeaters told me they could tell a noticable difference in my signal (mostly on VHF repeaters) I even used it on my BCD396XT for a little while and noticed it made a big difference even on 800mhz!

K5CPF Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2010 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommend  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is night & day better than a stock antenna. It had better be for the price and length.

AF6QZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great Antenna!

I bought it for my Yaesu FT-60R a bit after I bought the actual radio, and I am very happy with it. It is a perfect combination of radio/antenna.

The antenna itself is great for hiking and outdoors, where you need to have an antenna that won't easily break.

The receiving with the SRH-77CA is very good. I listen to the aviation band with it all the time, and it is great.

On the negative side, it is a little long to carry around without drawing too much attention to yourself, but that is no big deal to me.

I have tried many different antennas for the FT-60R, and have several for different uses, but this one is by far my favorite, as it is just a very high performance antenna.

Nicely done Diamond!

KE6WFH Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Much better than the stock rubber duck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The stock rubber duck antenna that came with the VX-7r is about as bad as it gets. It wasn't able to hit most of the local repeaters around my area and the few repeaters I could hit reported my signal as scratchy at best and very low audio level.

In spite of some reviews I read about the stock antenna for the VX-7r being as good as it gets, I decided to upgrade to the Diamond SRH77CA. Surprisingly the Diamond antenna turned out to be a major improvement for me. I'm now making it into repeaters that I couldn't reach before and those repeaters that previously reported my signal as scratchy at best and very low audio level now say I'm full quieting especially on 70cm.

M6FBS Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2010 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Better than the supplied duck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna to use with my Yaesu FT-60 and it has not disappointed. Reception is very much better than the factory antenna and I can hit local repeaters with it from indoors which the factory antenna will not do. My only criticism is that its length makes it like carrying a small fishing rod around and it rather 'throws' the balance of the rig when holding it as its flexibility makes it spring back and forth in a strong wind (hence the 4 rating rather than 5) - that apart, it is a star performer.

KJ6BTC Rating: 2/5 Feb 16, 2010 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Bigger isnt always better...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried this out on a Yaesu FT-270R. I wanted a whip for chest harness use but my back yard testing was very sad.

I bought this antenna with high hopes; maybe my expectations were too high, maybe I wasn't comparing it correctly against the stock antenna but none the less stations were coming in approximately and consistently 1 S-Unit lower on the meter compared to the stock antenna on the FT-270R using distant repeaters.

I made sure I stood relatively still in my backyard kept radio at same height and in the same location and swapped between the stock antenna and the SRH77CA, and it was still about 1 S-unit lower on the RX. TX reports were no different.

Does anyone have any idea why that is? I really want to try the Smiley "5/8" slim duck (approx 12" helical) tuned for 146. My only thought was that since I was using a dual band antenna on a mono band is that there has to be some sort of compromise by having a dual band antenna. So I hope a 2m duckie specifically tuned for the 2m band will do better.

I really wish I had great results like everyone else.