Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Quiet Phone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Quiet Phone
Heil Quiet Phone Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: Noise cancelling headphones
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Quiet Phone.

K3JB Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2009 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Have worked well, but the ear piece came apart  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had them for over a year, mainly used for airline flights.I have been satisified,but.... Traveling last week the ear piece seperated,they will need to be returned to Heil for repair. I will Rate them again after they come back from Heil.

AA4BJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great but no miracles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The only reason I didn't give these a 5 was because I probably expected too much. When you hear about noise cancelling headphones you think that the XYL, dog, kids, etc. will instantly disappear into the ether . Well, the truth is these are great for eliminating low frequency sounds like fans, computer drives and so on. Also they create a pleasant isolating sensation kind of like being in a diving helmet. Very comfortable, can wear them for hours. The dead weight of the battery in the cord can be easily solved w/ a velcro strip on the arm of your chair. Some previous reviews on poor quality control don't apply here, everything is first rate as you would expect from a product stamped w/ Bob Heil's name. OK I'll give them a 5. I may try the version w/ the boom mike someday.

W9OY Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2006 09:49 Send this review to a friend
I use them every day  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had these for over a year. As headphones they are excellent. I have 3 pair of noise cancelling phones and these are the best at noise cancelling, and they are comfortable to wear for long periods.

The plastic on the head strap however has given me some problem. The first time it broke I wrote Bob a note and he answered me personally and asked they be returned. He sent me either new ones or refurbished ones. These eventually started to fail as well. What I did was to take some #22 bare tinned copper wire and reinforce the each end of the plastic part that was being stressed. I tightly wrapped the wire 8 or so turns around the end and then soldered it in place. Not too much heat or the plastic will melt!! I have used them this way for maybe 5 or 6 months with no further problem.

They look a little weird but they work great, and I am very happy with them. I like things to look a little home brewey and McGiver-ish anyway .

K7XV Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2006 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Good Value!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like my Quiet Phones. It's like a notch filter for the amp fan!! I am impressed! I also use these with my Ipod in the car. I drive a honda civic. The car has a lot of road noise. My quiet phones take out the road noise. I am so glad I orderd them. For $100.00 bucks it's well worth the money.. Can't wait to try them on the airplane. A great product Bob!! A lot less money than the Bose headphones..........

73's K7XV

NI0C Rating: 2/5 Jun 9, 2006 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Not impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I seldom work SSB anymore, I purchased this headset to replace my Heil boomset which had served me well.

It is the most comfortable headset I've ever used; however there are problems.

I'm not at all impressed by the noise cancellation feature-- its amplifier adds enough extra hiss to actually reduce the overall s/n ratio, while the background noise cancellation is only of marginal benefit. Therefore I almost never use this feature.

I also agree with AB0O's comments concerning the flimsy construction of this headset. The plastic on the right earpiece has started to crack, and I end up having to squeeze it back together each time I put on the headset.

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2006 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used mine now for about 6 months and I have to say the noise cancelling works. When I switch it on the fan noise from my amplifier disappears, and makes weaker stations stand out more. These headphones are comfortable to wear for long periods and not fatiguing. I usually wear my headphones with only my left ear covered...I seem to be able to copy better with only one ear, plus I like to hear what's going on it the house. A good quality product!

KI4FYO Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2006 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Turn on the switch and most background noise disappears. Noise from the PC fan, tv in the other room all gone. This works best with constant noise sources, in other words the dog barking you will hear but the drone of a lawnmower is gone. I am not the easiest on equipment. I feel if it is welll built then I shouldn't need to baby it and I don't. I have never experienced anything but good performance with this product.

AB0O Rating: 4/5 Sep 2, 2005 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Good but flimsy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This headset delivers as advertised on elimination of most ambient noise. My shack is near the furnace in the basement, and turning the switch on makes the furnace disappear...quite remarkable.
However, as carefully as I care for my equipment, this headphone is poorly engineered from a mechanical standpoint, in my opinion. The plastic headband has now cracked open in two places...first where the metal headband strap fits into the right headphone body, and then again at the swivel joint of the headphone. The plastic used appears to be very soft.
I will eventually transplant the electronic components of this headphone into a more robust headset, after the next structural failure.

K1NVY Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2005 14:00 Send this review to a friend
works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The fan on my homebrewed 4CX1000 roars so loudly that after 15 years, I finally decided to do something about it. Enter Heil's Quiet Phone. This head set completely takes out the fan noise plus anything else it "hears". I am so impressed by the audio noise cancellation that I am now looking into RF noise cancellers such as the MFJ-1026 or ANC-4.

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2004 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked first time out of the box. Eliminates fan and PC rumble but seems to allow human voices, especially the XYL's to pass on to my ears. This is not good. Interestingly, I can't hear myself talk but can hear the xyl. I think it works best against constant low frequency noises. The ear pads don't really cover your ear but they are fairly comfortable. They need to be larger, at least for my ears! The control box is handy. The PTT button is hard to push and hard to keep activated without letting up to rest your finger. I'll probably end up using a foot switch if I do much SSB work, (not likely). Audio on CW sounds excellent and the internal amp seems to peak at cw frequencies. Changing the phase switch produces some really interesting results. I find myself getting tired of one setting then changing to the other for a rest. Both settings sound great at first but it's a relief to switch to the other one for a while. Can't explain this.
I got several good audio reports on my Icoms. This is the IC model. I gave it a 4 because there is some room for improvement namely the PTT button, ear pad size and response to XYLs. Overall a good product but expensive.