Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | K9AY AYL-4 Help

Reviews Summary for K9AY AYL-4
K9AY AYL-4 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $189.00
Description: Directional 2 loop receiving antenna for 160 and 80 meters (and can be used on other bands, including BCB DX-ing).
More info: http://www.aytechnologies.com/Products/products.htm

You can write your own review of the K9AY AYL-4.

K8RA Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 18:29 Send this review to a friend
it works !!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I completed my k9ay loop and I am very impressed. It is about 350 feet from my transmit antenna out in the front yard hidden in a
wooded area at the side of my lot. I went in there with a set of clippers and a chain saw and cleared an area. I made my own loop using a 25 foot fiberglass pole but bought the Array Solutions boxes. I have an 8 foot ground rod and layed eight 20 foot radials equally spaced. I have my control cable and coax laying on the
ground up to the antenna. It runs through the woods so it is not easily buried. By the way, I am using a 70 foot aluminum tower that
is insulated at the base and I use an L-tuning network at the base. I have 3 fixed settings on 160 and two on 80 to get the entire band
under 2:1 across the band. I can select the L-networks from inside. I also have near 10,000 feet of radial wire in the ground. It is a
great transmit antenna but very noisy on receive (as one would expect). You can see it on my web page ( http://www.k8ra.com ).

Now for the results. After listening extensively for two weeks, I am very impressed. The signal strengths are comparable between the k9ay
with the 15 db preamp and the vertical. But the k9ay definitely has a lower noise figure. It averages from 2 to 3 s-units. And the rear null is next to amazing. It varies on the station distance and time of day but I almost always see a null in the rear averaging anywhere from 3 to 6 s-units (seriously...it is amazing). It works great on 80 and 160. I sent a poor quality video to Jay at Array Solutions showing him my results and he put it on the Array Solutions Web Page. Take a look at it. Tonight on 80 I have been comparing the vertical to the loop and 90% to the time the loop is equal or better on receive. It clearly has a better S/N figure than my vertical. Of course this winter will tell the tale better but as of now, it was an effort well worth it.

I am sure it is not as good as a set of beverages but if you have limited space, it sure looks good to me at this point.

de k8ra Jerry www.k8ra.com

W0EWM Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2006 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiving Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a wire 66 FT 80M vertical and an 85 FT high 160M inverted-L. I added the K9AY AYL-4 about a year ago and it has been a huge success here. It always outperforms the transmitting antennas, in terms of Signal-to-Noise, when I am working DX (Location MO). 160M signals are really weak here from Europe and the K9AY AYL-4 makes the difference - many times - between making the QSO and not. It is located about 75 feet from the base of the transmit antennas. If you can't do something bigger (like some beverages) for receive antennas I really recommend the K9AY AYL-4. I also like the fact that it covers all directions with the switchable loops. I also use an MFJ-1026 Noise Canceler with the K9AY AYL-4 to cancel the local noise and the combination is very effective in my environment. I left the K9AY AYL-4 up this summer because it is easy to mow the grass around it and with the mast painted black it is very unobtrusive.

N2CU Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2006 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent small alternative to Beverages  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 160m bug bit me hard in late 2004 and after suffering through a season using a low inverted vee antenna, I vowed to have better antennas for the 2005-2006 season. I put up an inverted L but was disappointed in the amount of noise it picked up on receive. Enter the K9AY AYL-4. I purchased it late in 2005 from Array Solutions and didn't expect to install it until spring. With nice weather I got it up just before the CQ160 CW contest. I first tried the antenna on the broadcast band. The results were remarkable - often producing two or more stations on the same frequency that could be copied separately by switching directions. The biggest test was to come in the contest where I worked more than 1000 QSO's, WAS (yes, Alaska too!) and 52 countries without ever needing to switch to a different receive antenna. The K9AY reduced stateside QRM while listening to DX by several S-units depending on wave arrival angle. In fact, it almost worked too well. A number of times I could barely hear a station calling me and asked for a repeat. When switching directions, it turned out to be someone from the US off the back or side of the loop. If I hadn't been listening closely, I may have missed the contact because the front-to-back or front-to-side was so good. Signal strength from the loop is only about an S-unit down from the inverted L, but the noise drops dramatically making copy Q5. The construction is excellent with high quality circuit boards and components inside. This antenna has been a welcome addition to my arsenal and I don't think I could ever go back to operating 160m without it.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2005 13:29 Send this review to a friend
New and Improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gary has added a termination resistor switch on the remote control box, and now an already fantastic product is even better.

When you DX on the low bands using this receive antenna you don't worry about low sunspot numbers or being in the low part of the cycle!

K2TA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2004 12:49 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took 4 hours to put this up the first time. Assembly was easy. I also picked up the optional AYL-M mast/hardware kit. I raised it up vertically by adding one section of pole at a time until the full height was reached. I used the ground nails to anchor the mid-height guy wires and tied the loop insulator guys to tree trunks. I can get 25db rejection on 80M and the broadcast band. Have not done much yet on 160. It has an internal termination switch for 160/80/both and I have mine set for the factory default of 160M so I expect the null to be at least as good as on 80M. The system is well made and the remote head doesn't take up much space on my desk. You can build one cheaper but if you want something off the shelf that can be knocked down to take with you on Field Day and set up quickly I can recommend the AY4-L/AYL-M combo.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2004 16:37 Send this review to a friend
High quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have never been extremely disappointed in any of the carfeully chosen small businesses I have bought ham products from. Gary at AY does a remarkable job of bringing his projects from QST to life.

The K9AY loop is meticulously built, and works very well. I have no room for beverages (in fact several honest suppliers like K1FZ and N0TT told me don't bother and directed me to this loop), so this was my only choice for a real receiving antenna with some theory behind it.

The antenna lowers improves your SNR and gives you directionality in a small space anyone can manage. I note that 3B9C is running two, and will be interested to see if they mention them in what I'm sure will be an interesting forthcomnig article in QST or CQ !